Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My WW journey

mtbr member

My WW journey

Ok...maybe not WW...but as good as I can do. My goal was smart-light..durable and rideable upgrades to give me a lighter bike. Just some info for those that are looking to loose weight…what it costs, etc. Started out with a stock ’12 Stumpy Evo HT 29er at an approx. weight of 24.5 pounds. This included Shimano 520 pedals. This did not include the pie plate or reflectors. This was set up tubeless (Roval tape and valve stems and a Stan’s). I didn’t have an accurate scale so this is just on a bathroom scale but should be close. I have spent ~$1700 so far and dropped 2.5 pounds off the bike to a weight just at 22 w/summer tires; 22.7 w/winter tires. Unfortunately, I didn’t write down all the weights like I should have, but these are going to be v. close. To get to this weight I did the following:

Roval Control wheelset (~400g)
    S-Works carbon crank w/Wolf Tooth direct mount 32t ring, S-Works BB (~225g)
    Syntace F109 stem (~40g)
    Niner RDO carbon seatpost (~25g)
    S-Works Prowess carbon mini-riser bar (~25g)
    Alligator Serration rotors (~30g)
    XT cassette (~30g)
    Removed the E.13 chainguide (~75g)

I added a cage and Garmin mount so this is included in the final weight. On a $/g basis, the best bang for the buck are the cranks and wheels; the control items (bar/post) were the worst. I really want to be in the 21 range (with summer tires) so the last thing I will do is pick up some XT or XTR pedals to drop the final few grams I need (I just can’t do the Eggbeaters).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member

Thx for the update. The only oddball item seems to be the cassette. I always struggle with this item as it is the most expensive consumable in the mix. XTR will save you a bit, the SRAM even more, but gets very costly. What's your philosophy on casettes?

mtbr member
    If you know how to maintain cup/cone hubs and don't mind a little extra scheduled maintenance, get the XTR pedals. Performance wise they're completely indiscernible from XT, but at that range its all weight.(They're noticeably lighter in your hands) I have them and absolutely love them.

Don't listen to all the people who give them a bad rep for failing prematurely, they simply didn't maintain them. The bearings need a good adjustment after the first ~300 mi, then around every 1000mi afterwards. They're also not sealed very well, so the grease will wash out more quickly in wet/muddy seasons. I rebuild mine rice a season; after spring and before winter, and always repack them with Dura-Ace grease(which is amazing stuff....).
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member
    What about a saddle swap? The Phenom is pretty hefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Thx for the update. The only oddball item seems to be the cassette. I always struggle with this item as it is the most expensive consumable in the mix. XTR will save you a bit, the SRAM even more, but gets very costly. What's your philosophy on casettes?
    I refuse to spend $200 on a wear part so the XT was about as light as I could get before making the big jump over to the $200+ cassettes. Believe me...the XG-1080 was looking nice at nearly 100g less than what I had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    If you know how to maintain cup/cone hubs and don't mind a little extra scheduled maintenance, get the XTR pedals. Performance wise they're completely indiscernible from XT, but at that range its all weight.(They're noticeably lighter in your hands) I have them and absolutely love them.

Don't listen to all the people who give them a bad rep for failing prematurely, they simply didn't maintain them. The bearings need a good adjustment after the first ~300 mi, then around every 1000mi afterwards. They're also not sealed very well, so the grease will wash out more quickly in wet/muddy seasons. I rebuild mine rice a season; after spring and before winter, and always repack them with Dura-Ace grease(which is amazing stuff....).
    Thanks for the info....I have rebuilt plenty of cup/cone bearings. I think the XTRs will make there way onto my bike. I am thinking I can find them for $125 online if I am patient. My 520s weigh 373g and the XTRs are 308g so nearly 70g isn't bad for having a solid pedal. I tried Eggs...can't stand the soft release.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    What about a saddle swap? The Phenom is pretty hefty.
    I love my saddle; I suppose I could get the Phenom Pro is 192g and my OEM is probably in the 300g neighborhood. Good thought.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Thanks for the info....I have rebuilt plenty of cup/cone bearings. I think the XTRs will make there way onto my bike. I am thinking I can find them for $125 online if I am patient. My 520s weigh 373g and the XTRs are 308g so nearly 70g isn't bad for having a solid pedal. I tried Eggs...can't stand the soft release.
    You can do alot better than $125.00 for XTR 980 pedals, CRC has them for $104.00 free shipping. Get some Ward Ind. Ti spindles for $38.00. I did this on mine and they've been excellent, only made a small adjustment to the cups after the second ride on the Ti spindles and have not needed to touch them again over two summers.
    Titanium Spindles, Titanium Cleat Bolts, Titanium Look Keo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My WW journey-img_3163_1.jpg  

My WW journey-img_3154_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Love my phenom. I have ti railed 155mm it came in around 240g i think. So youbare probably right on the weight, assuming its not ti rails.

mtbr member
    ^^^The Ti rail is probably more realistic for me. Found those XTRs on CRC for $103...wow...may order now....

mtbr member
    I figure I can loose an additional 168g from replacing my stock saddle with the Phenom Expert (Ti rails..need to weigh my existing saddle this weekend to verify), replacing my pedals with XTR, and switching grips to the ESI Racer's Edge. I tried the Chunky's but didn't like them (too big) so may try to the thinner ones...they are only $13 on eBay so why not right? The one great thing about lock-on grips is they are easy-on/easy-off so I can always put my Specy Sip Grips back on if I don't like the ESIs. The Specy grips are 48g/each which isn't that bad. This will take me down to 21.76 (repeating of course) pounds with my summer tires on it. At that point, I have replaced nearly everything that I am going to replace.

mtbr member

My WW journey

Short of throwing ridiculous amounts of unnecessary carbon at your bike, that's pretty damn good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    Short of throwing ridiculous amounts of unnecessary carbon at your bike, that's pretty damn good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks! I too think at ~22lb HT with gears and a suspension fork is great, especially when everything is durable/functional.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For $103 your xtr pedals save 65g and might shave a few sec. off your day lap times in a 24hr race. For $93 a Gemini Duo light head saves 55g over your Magicshine 808 P7 (I just weighed both), produces almost 3 time the amount of light and would probably shave minutes off your night lap times (I know it would for me). I know you were looking at Duo/clones, so if you haven't got one yet , that's where I'd spend my money first.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    For $103 your xtr pedals save 65g and might shave a few sec. off your day lap times in a 24hr race. For $93 a Gemini Duo light head saves 55g over your Magicshine 808 P7 (I just weighed both), produces almost 3 time the amount of light and would probably shave minutes off your night lap times (I know it would for me). I know you were looking at Duo/clones, so if you haven't got one yet , that's where I'd spend my money first.
    Mole
    I am not too concerned with my night-riding weight but thanks for the input. At some point, I am going to pick up a Duo.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    At some point, I am going to pick up a Duo.
    Glad to hear this, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Good thread, I did a similar project this year with a BMC. It's about a pound heavier than yours but I'm running a triple on the front since I get a lot of road miles on it. Here's a pic.
    Mole
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...thumb=1&stc=1e
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My WW journey-009.jpg  

mtbr member
    One other item is the chain. Currently have a standard KMC X10. The X10SL should shave ~30g while retaining good durability (at least from what I can find on here about them). Cost online is ~$45..same as I paid for my standard X10 at the LBS last year so still fits within my "not spending big money saving weight from wear parts" philosophy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've had good luck with that chain and use it on all my geared bikes. If you didn't already know this, check how many links you need. Some are packaged with only 106 links, which isn't enough for some 29ers (I learned this the hard way). Your probably OK since you only have a 32 up front, but it's better to check just in case.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mole, does 30g savings seem about right to you on the chain swap?

mtbr member
    I refuse to spend $200 on a wear part so the XT was about as light as I could get before making the big jump over to the $200+ cassettes. Believe me...the XG-1080 was looking nice at nearly 100g less than what I had.
    If you check your chain regularly and replace often your cassette should last a long time. I have seen my riding buddies make the mistake of keeping their "expensive" chains to long because they don't want to shell out the $$ for a new one. The result is they wear out their drivetrain.

Maybe keep your eye out for a XTR or XXO cassette on sale?

mtbr member
    KMC X10SL ordered. $48 delivered off of amazon. I can use my old chain for a project anyway...its not worn at all. Also ordered some ESI Racer's edge grips for $12 delivered off eBay. I tried the Chunky's but didn't like them...too fat for me. Hoping the thinner Racer's Edge model will be more like what I have (Specy Sip Grips) in terms of diameter. If not, will use on one of the kid's Razor scooters So that puts me just under 22 with summer tires for $60. Happy times! The seat and pedals may come at some point but not for a while; these would take me down into the mid-21s.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I hated the Racers Edge grips and loved the Chunkys on my 680 wide bars.
    Now I've gone to 740 width bars the Racers are fine.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mole, does 30g savings seem about right to you on the chain swap?
    I don't have access to an X10 chain so I'm not 100% sure but the bikes I've done this to had OEM shimano chains with approx. 45g savings on those. If you not sure about KMC's weight claims I just weighed an X9sl w/116 links (only new chain I had). Gram scale showed 262g and the box said 265g.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I am going to take mine off and weigh it this week.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: My WW journey

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I hated the Racers Edge grips and loved the Chunkys on my 680 wide bars.
    Now I've gone to 740 width bars the Racers are fine.
    I have a 720 bar. Got them tonight...they will be more like what I have currently. Will install this week. 52g with end caps. Current Specy Sip Grips are 97g. Cheapest 45g you can loose ($12)!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast