mtbr member
    May 2006

Is my seatbag a brick??

Out of curiousity I threw my seatbag on the scale this week and was surprised to see it weighed in at over a POUND. That seemed awfully heavy, so I broke it down to see what might be adding up and what I could possibly drop. Here is how it weighed in:

Tube (with a bit of powder, wrapped in a ziplock): 139.0 g
    Lezyne CRV 12 multi-tool (with sleeve): 127.2 g
    Two 16-gram CO2 cartidges: 124.8 g
    Genuine Innovations Air Chuck inflator: 21.0 g
    Powerlink and 2 chain pins in a small zip-lock: 7.1 g
    Park tool GP2 patch kit: 4.2 g
    Transit 45 seat wedge: 70.9 g
    Grand total: 494.5 g

I do mainly endurance races and I think I have actually used everything in that bag at some point in a race. I have thought about dropping to only one CO2 but I've gotten two flats in one lap before (actually my spare tube had a hole - hence the patch kit). I also thought of maybe a more minimalist multitool, but I need one with a chain breaker - used it once when I managed to break a chain, and then proceed to drop half my Powerlink in a pile of leaves (and hence the chain pins).

So I don't really see much opporuntity to shed any weight here but again, that sure does seem like a lot of weight for what it is. Is there anything I am overlooking? How does that compare to others riders' seat packs?

mtbr member
    Dump the bag and pick up one of these: http://www.byekyle.com/ByeKyle/ByeKyle.html

Other then that, I carry pretty much the same stuff. I drop it down to 1 cartrige, one chain pin and no patch kit while racing. I also carry my multi-tool in my jersey pocket.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Dump the bag and pick up one of these: http://www.byekyle.com/ByeKyle/ByeKyle.html

Other then that, I carry pretty much the same stuff. I drop it down to 1 cartrige, one chain pin and no patch kit while racing. I also carry my multi-tool in my jersey pocket.
    That ***** will be gone before i reach the trailhead
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punkeyboozter
    That ***** will be gone before i reach the trailhead
    You mean you don't think the strap will work?? If so, have you ever used it before?
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Dirty South Underdog
    It's such an important brick, though...

Edit: I make a bundle with a tube, 2 CO2s/inflator head, and a tire lever and tape it to my seatpost with electrical tape.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    You mean you don't think the strap will work?? If so, have you ever used it before?
    get a camelpack and never look back.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lytleric
    Two 16-gram CO2 cartidges: 124.8 g
    Drop the two CO2 cartridges and get ONE Big Air cartridge, by Genuine Innovations- 59 grams. Easily fills two mtb tires.

Also, for races I have a strap for my Big Air, I use electrical tape to attach the tube to the seatpost or the stem, and I place everything else in a jersey pocket. Or I'm using a camelbak.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    The beer holder has to be the best reason to use a simple strap. AWESOME.