A Real Winner.

My Quiring Ti 29r-16 pounds 12 ozs!

Done! This is set up in "Iceman Mode." It is fully rideable, I shred it everyday on my local trails and love it for fast XC. It is not an endurance bike, my rides are usually limited to 2-3 hours anyways though. Check it out:

Zoom in of the scale:

I've been riding on the ZTR Golds all year, and they have not proved to be durable (As you'd expect). I true them all the time, and I'm sure the tension is way out of wack right now, but they are light, and I don't mind the little bit of maintenance to keep them going. Also, the Avid XX brakes have been horrible. I've done everything to keep them going, bleed them about once a month, and have switched the lines to the Jag lines, and they still need work to keep them going. Long story short, DO NOT BUY AVID BRAKES EVER. But that's off topic. The rest of the bike is XX shifters, rear derailleur, PC-1091 chain, FSA K Force BB30 cranks, MRP 1x guide, and XX cassette. The tires are Maxxis Maxxlite 29rs with NoTubes sealant in them, the rotors are Avid XX rotors. I tried the KCNC rotors, but they were really noisy and "jittery", so I switched back to the Avids and they are ok. The cable is a PowerCords cable with Nokon housing, the fork is a DT Swiss carbon fork, Thomson X2 road stem (Light stems just don't seem to clamp on to carbon forks that well), Crank Bros 11 pedals, KCNC seatpost, Tioga Spyder saddle, and a RaceFace Next SL 580 flat bar.

It's really fun. Yes, that weight also includes my Garmin mount and an Infini blinky taillight. ICEMAN!!!!!
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well done - How much did this bike cost to build? Importantly, how does it ride to other bikes you've tried?

mtbr member
    Is that saddle comfortable?!?
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

29er
    Apr 2010
    Very nice

mtbr member
    I have that saddle as well. It is very comfy on rides no longer than 4 hrs. However, the saddle has a 1 year lifespan (according to Tioga) I've been using mine for 2 yearrs now.

I agree with the OP on Avid brakes, I hated them on my anthem 29er, I sold them for a pair of XT, and kept the clean sweep rotors, (which I really like) as well as the HS1 rotors.

Nice build, I have a Lynksey Ridgeline, and it is nowhere as near s light as that beauty. However, I ride endurance, and I bet a nice fork and squishy saddle would turn that bike into a decent endurance rig.

Registered Dietitian
    Any idea of frame weight?
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Very nice build. Scott does great bikes, no doubt. You must be one of those "under 2 hour guys", huh? I'm going the other direction for Iceman... a Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Very nice. If I ever go custom it will be a Quiring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Amazing and 10lbs lighter than my 29r. Would love to ride something that light.

bike rider
    Approve of your Build, Young Jedi I do!!!!
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

A Real Winner.
    Sorry, totally didn't check this thread in a few weeks. Anyhow, for Iceman, I was 2:01, so not quite under 2 hours. This frame weighed in at 3 pounds even. I've built a lot of Q's, and the lightest ti frame was an EXTRA small 29r frame that was just under 3 pounds. Usually they come in around 3.25 pounds. As for the saddle, well, it is a "sprint" type saddle. I only use it for about half the year. I've broken a few of them in the past. For my road bike, they are fine, for mountain bikes, I never get more than a year out of it. Buy Spyder saddles at your own risk I guess.

As far as ride, this thing is DIALED. I love how it rides. I also rode the Leadville 100 on this bike this year, and it was awesome. This is my favourite bike I own, and I will keep it for a while. For Leadville, the bike was about 20 pounds. I threw on some meatier tires (Ritchey Shield Tubeless Ready tires for the rocks out there), a suspension fork (X Fusion Slide for the rough terrain), and a WTB Rocket V SLT saddle (For my butt). If you want the ultimate hardtail, a Ti Quiring is the bike to get. This thing is a rocket, nothing climbs like it, and nothing handles like it. If you are ever in SE Michigan, hit me up, and I'll be more than happy to let you take it for a spin. For cost, well, if you have to ask. . .
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Nice to see an American handmade weight weenie bike for a change.
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

metrotuned WoS
    OP: How are the Maxxis Maxxlite 29rs tires? They are race only, do you recommend them with tubes? How much weight are we talking versus the ghetto tubeless setup you have? Also, what's the most mileage you've done on that rig as is straight in one day?
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

A Real Winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    OP: How are the Maxxis Maxxlite 29rs tires? They are race only, do you recommend them with tubes? How much weight are we talking versus the ghetto tubeless setup you have? Also, what's the most mileage you've done on that rig as is straight in one day?
    Maxxlites are ok. I ran them all year, but did have to replace a 1 tire this year. They are fragile, but if you know where you are riding, and you are riding smooth trails, these tires are great. If you ride aggressive, or if you have gnarly, rocky, sharp rooty trails, these are not the right tire for that. I get about a year of use out of them, but I do change tires throughout the year. Keep in mind that the weight of my bike is listed in "Iceman Mode." I rode it like this for 2 months, and I feel that this is the perfect set up for me for this particular race. For other races, I change things around depending on what the race/ride requires of the bike. For everyday Michigan XC riding, this is a great fit. This is not the "Ghetto" tubeless set up, but rather just the standard Stans tubeless setup. I just used 4oz. of sealant in each wheel to get them to initially seal up. I haven't used tubes on a bike in years. Tubes suck. 4oz. of sealant is about 110 grams per wheel.

The way this bike is currently set up, I've done plenty of 2 and 3 hour rides with it. It is in XC race mode. When I was into endurance racing, I'd throw a suspension fork on it and a different saddle. I tried racing it as is at a 12 hour event, but could only make it through 8 hours (probably a combination of bike set up and me), so then I changed out a few things for longer races.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loginhater View Post
    Very nice. If I ever go custom it will be a Quiring.
    When my Scandium Quiring finally snaps, I am going Quiring Ti
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.