Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478

    My new Heckler 10.8kg

    After my Blur cracked I got a Heckler nin Trans Red instead. The color is very nice, especialy on the welds, where it's kind of transparent.
    Just got my new Maverick fork from Larry and some Hope Mono M4 brakes.

    It weigh only 10.8kg, so might be the ligtest Heckler to date. I will use it for XC and trail riding and some trips to the Alps.

    I have only ridden it once with the Maverick, but can say that it's noticible stiffer than my Fox F100X fork and when you lock down the Maverick to 100mm, it feels just like climbing with the Fox. If you climb standing in the 150mm mode, it will bob about 6cm, but if you stay seated, it won't bob that much. I'm very impresses with what the fork can do. Deep holes that I wouldn't ride before are easy to ride over now and the bike feels as fast as it did with the Fox. The steering is also much more neutral now. You sit a bit more upright with the Maverick. I can feel that it's easier to breathe now.
    I used a 120mm stem with the Fox and now I use the 105mm Maverick stem and it feels like the same. I think Maverick should mention this issue on their website or correct the stem lenght, so it's comparable with a standard stem.
    There was only one problem with the fork. I had to grind a bit off the disc brake mount on the fork, to fit the caliber. You might be abler to see it on the picture. I don't know if it's Maverick og Hope that have made a mistake here, but it shuold be corrected.

    On the Blur I used the Formula B4sl brakes. I'm happy about changing to the Hope's, they just got much more power and are just as easy to modulate. The quality is superb.

    I just changed from Michelin Comp S light tires to Hutchinson Python Air lights. It's been over 2 years since I last rode these tires and had forgotten how good they are. The roll cracy and grips good when cornering. The extra tall profile also gives some more comfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,692
    Nice bike - The heckler will make you happy.

    I have to be honest, I find the build a little unusual. Such an agressive sort of bike, with skinny little tires, delicate looking saddle and cranks - but thats just my opinion and afterall - half the fun is making bikes that cover a really broad range of applications.

    Nice job. And I think that is a heckler record for weight!
    Trev!

  3. #3
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    I know it's a bit strange, but all the parts came of my Blur. I'm thinking of chaging the saddle for one that is a bit more comfortable, maby I should go back to the Aliante again. I'm not going to use the bikes for jumping and such, but just for agressive XC and trail riding. I think the build is perfect for that.

  4. #4
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    I know it's a bit strange, but all the parts came of my Blur. I'm thinking of chaging the saddle for one that is a bit more comfortable, maby I should go back to the Aliante again. I'm not going to use the bikes for jumping and such, but just for agressive XC and trail riding. I think the build is perfect for that.
    Sounds good to me. I am still a little in awe of the weight to be honest.

    I am going through a weight gain period interested in heavy fat tires - Suits the trails I am riding and the sort of stuff I do. Then I drop back to light weight tyres come racing. But for general trail riding, with wet roots and rocks the bigger the bag the better.

    Again. Neat bike. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts comparing the blur to the heckler.
    Trev!

  5. #5
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    I have ridden the Heckler with the Fox fork for about 2 weeks now and only once with the Maverick.

    I started with a SC superlight, then a Blur and now a Hecker. The Heckler feels more like the superlight. It feels like it's riding a bit lower than the Blur and that you are more connected to the bike. A bit more racy.
    Wuith the Blur you feel like you are sitting above or on it.

    I'm not finished with tuning the suspension, but my first impression is, that the Blur felt more bottomless than the Heckler does. It's also like the rebound on the Blur was a bit more controlled ex if you drove through a big "hole", the Blur would just smooth it out and you wouldn't feel going out of the hole. On the Heckler it kicks back faster, so you have to get a bit out of the saddle to keep it down to the ground. Maby I just have to dial in the suspension. Only had it for 2 weeks so I'm still tuning.

  6. #6
    Max
    Max is offline
    Velodramatic
    Reputation: Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    533
    nice rig indeed! am i right: alloy bolts for the front caliper mount? i went for Ti in the front. what does the fork weigh? price?


    Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

  7. #7
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    Yep, those are alloy bolts. Been riding with them for over 3 years now. I even have alloy on the rear rotor, but steel on the front.
    The fork weigh 1940g with a 105mm stem. I thought it wold be lighter. The price is 935$ with stem and hub.

  8. #8
    xc racer wannabe
    Reputation: jonwebah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    163
    how much does that heckler frame weigh alone?

  9. #9
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    For some strange reason, I forgot to weigh the parts before I assembled the bike, but I would guess it's about 3100g with the 5th element air shock.

  10. #10
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    It weigh only 10.8kg, so might be the ligtest Heckler to date.
    And the most expencive as well . That thing looks amazing!
    Herro prease

  11. #11
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    Yep, that too I guess.

  12. #12
    Kam
    Kam is offline
    A hopped on pop.
    Reputation: Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,398

    man, amazing ride Anders...

    love it. i've been thinking of something similar, a heckler with either the maverick fork or a 120mm marathon sl. if i'd go maverick, then i doubt i can affrod the heckler (i have riding and looked at that supergo heckler knock off, the xp pro with a 5th element air) it was pretty sweet! i am not sure about the duability of the xp pro though. and, even if i did this project, i am not sure how much i'd ride it...i love rigid 29er ss too much.

    those hope are awesome though, aren't they?

    and, have you had alot of stiction with the fork? seems like people get alot of it when the fork is new.

    again, nice ride...who would have thought this is possibel with a heckler, and still have parts that are very durable and huck worthy?

    cheers!


    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    After my Blur cracked I got a Heckler nin Trans Red instead. The color is very nice, especialy on the welds, where it's kind of transparent.
    Just got my new Maverick fork from Larry and some Hope Mono M4 brakes.

    It weigh only 10.8kg, so might be the ligtest Heckler to date. I will use it for XC and trail riding and some trips to the Alps.

    I have only ridden it once with the Maverick, but can say that it's noticible stiffer than my Fox F100X fork and when you lock down the Maverick to 100mm, it feels just like climbing with the Fox. If you climb standing in the 150mm mode, it will bob about 6cm, but if you stay seated, it won't bob that much. I'm very impresses with what the fork can do. Deep holes that I wouldn't ride before are easy to ride over now and the bike feels as fast as it did with the Fox. The steering is also much more neutral now. You sit a bit more upright with the Maverick. I can feel that it's easier to breathe now.
    I used a 120mm stem with the Fox and now I use the 105mm Maverick stem and it feels like the same. I think Maverick should mention this issue on their website or correct the stem lenght, so it's comparable with a standard stem.
    There was only one problem with the fork. I had to grind a bit off the disc brake mount on the fork, to fit the caliber. You might be abler to see it on the picture. I don't know if it's Maverick og Hope that have made a mistake here, but it shuold be corrected.

    On the Blur I used the Formula B4sl brakes. I'm happy about changing to the Hope's, they just got much more power and are just as easy to modulate. The quality is superb.

    I just changed from Michelin Comp S light tires to Hutchinson Python Air lights. It's been over 2 years since I last rode these tires and had forgotten how good they are. The roll cracy and grips good when cornering. The extra tall profile also gives some more comfort.

  13. #13
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    Yes those Hpoe brakes are great. They have all the power you need and at the same time they are very easy to modulate. I had the XTR disc brakes a while back and the Hope brakes just outperformes these easily. The also have the look on their side.

    I didn't notice much sticktion on the first ride, so if it even gets better, that's just great. This fork can do anything. If you have a frame build for a 125mm fork, I would go for the SC32, that should be available about now.

  14. #14
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    Sweet

    I have a transred Blur, so can appreciate the color. Be sure to protect all the surfaces where things rub - like cables, the heels of your shoes, chain. I really like the beefiness of the Heckler - I only wish SC made the Blur with the option of more gussetting or thicker tubes. I really like the geometry, handling and rear susp. of the Blur, but wish is was stouter.

    Anyway, on that fork - can you ride it full time in 100mm mode or is that just a lock-down for climbing?

    The spec does look a bit odd, but that is just because we are all used to seeing a spindley frame and fork to reduce weight. You've got a 5" travel bike that is lighter than a Fuel 100.

    BTW, what are you going to do with that crappy F100X -it's only worth like $200 now!?



    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    After my Blur cracked I got a Heckler nin Trans Red instead. The color is very nice, especialy on the welds, where it's kind of transparent.
    Just got my new Maverick fork from Larry and some Hope Mono M4 brakes.

    It weigh only 10.8kg, so might be the ligtest Heckler to date. I will use it for XC and trail riding and some trips to the Alps.

    I have only ridden it once with the Maverick, but can say that it's noticible stiffer than my Fox F100X fork and when you lock down the Maverick to 100mm, it feels just like climbing with the Fox. If you climb standing in the 150mm mode, it will bob about 6cm, but if you stay seated, it won't bob that much. I'm very impresses with what the fork can do. Deep holes that I wouldn't ride before are easy to ride over now and the bike feels as fast as it did with the Fox. The steering is also much more neutral now. You sit a bit more upright with the Maverick. I can feel that it's easier to breathe now.
    I used a 120mm stem with the Fox and now I use the 105mm Maverick stem and it feels like the same. I think Maverick should mention this issue on their website or correct the stem lenght, so it's comparable with a standard stem.
    There was only one problem with the fork. I had to grind a bit off the disc brake mount on the fork, to fit the caliber. You might be abler to see it on the picture. I don't know if it's Maverick og Hope that have made a mistake here, but it shuold be corrected.

    On the Blur I used the Formula B4sl brakes. I'm happy about changing to the Hope's, they just got much more power and are just as easy to modulate. The quality is superb.

    I just changed from Michelin Comp S light tires to Hutchinson Python Air lights. It's been over 2 years since I last rode these tires and had forgotten how good they are. The roll cracy and grips good when cornering. The extra tall profile also gives some more comfort.
    M

  15. #15
    Uhhhhh...
    Reputation: TheSherpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Yep, those are alloy bolts. Been riding with them for over 3 years now. I even have alloy on the rear rotor, but steel on the front.
    The fork weigh 1940g with a 105mm stem. I thought it wold be lighter. The price is 935$ with stem and hub.
    Take the fork guards off because i've heard there over 200grams.

    -TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

  16. #16
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    yep I'm always carefull about protecting the frame. It gets scratched very easy, so lots of clear plastic tape. I onlyt run the fork at 100mm on climbs.

  17. #17
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Yes those Hpoe brakes are great. They have all the power you need and at the same time they are very easy to modulate. I had the XTR disc brakes a while back and the Hope brakes just outperformes these easily. The also have the look on their side.

    I didn't notice much sticktion on the first ride, so if it even gets better, that's just great. This fork can do anything. If you have a frame build for a 125mm fork, I would go for the SC32, that should be available about now.
    Yeah, the fork will get a LOT smoother after a few rides. Glad to see it arrived quickly.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  18. #18
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    Thanks Larry. It arrived to Denmark friday and I had it on my door step tuesday, so that was very quick. I would have bought an orange 5spot from you, but it was a coincident, that my Blur broke, just as I planned to sell it, strange. I'll try the Heckler out now, but I think I will eventually buy a 5spot. Always fun to try some different frames out.

  19. #19
    xc racer wannabe
    Reputation: jonwebah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    For some strange reason, I forgot to weigh the parts before I assembled the bike, but I would guess it's about 3100g with the 5th element air shock.
    that gives me hope considering the frame of my bike is around that weight. awesome build, man!

  20. #20
    Old man on a bike
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,388

    Sure wish I could check out a ride on that...

    so I could compare to mine (5th coil, Z1FR for shocks and probably 13.5-14kg total). I do wonder how that air shock'll hold up in this application...keep us posted!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmaybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    That is an incrediable bike. I love the colour too!

    Can you get carbon fork guards for the Maveric? Something similar to these from Risse?


  22. #22
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    I don't think anyone makes them at the moment, but I'm thinking of havings some made. One of my friends has a friend who works with carbon.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    83
    Hey! anders could you plz post a full list of your components plz. I also am getting a heckler and want to keep it light enuff. Thanks allot

  24. #24
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    As I posted in the other thread, it's on the "The Machinist" website. The only changes are:

    Stans rims
    Hutchinson Python tires
    DT/H®gu rear hub
    Stans notubes sealent
    Extralite headset

    Mby it's not down at 10.8kg, but rather 11kg

  25. #25
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,019
    Very, VERY nice! I hope to some day build something very similar, FS, same fork, but 29" wheels and 120/70mm fork travel. Sub 11kg should make it an exceptional bike for marathons.

    Do carbon guards save weight over plastic? CAN weight be saved there or otherwise on the fork? Custom stem perhaps? :-)
    Is the effective reach of the Maverick stem longer than it says??
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    83
    Hey! Could I please get the addresse to that werbsite plz? Thx

  27. #27
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Smed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    As I posted in the other thread, it's on the "The Machinist" website. The only changes are:

    Stans rims
    Hutchinson Python tires
    DT/H®gu rear hub
    Stans notubes sealent
    Extralite headset

    Mby it's not down at 10.8kg, but rather 11kg
    >>>>If that's a "The Head" headset, I don't think it can be used with a double crown fork... but I can't tell if that is exactly "double crown"

  29. #29
    A little of everything
    Reputation: Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    478
    It was the Freehead.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    I have a transred Blur, so can appreciate the color. Be sure to protect all the surfaces where things rub - like cables, the heels of your shoes, chain. I really like the beefiness of the Heckler - I only wish SC made the Blur with the option of more gussetting or thicker tubes. I really like the geometry, handling and rear susp. of the Blur, but wish is was stouter.
    Give teh Blur 4X a shot Motivated - there is a post in the Santa Cruz forum about someone using a 4X as their aggressive trail bike frame set and so far they are very happy with it.

Similar Threads

  1. Heckler Fork ? Yeah, I know --- again?
    By mtnbikerx in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 10:07 PM
  2. Heckler to Burner -- Ride, pics, specs....
    By robotkiller in forum Turner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 08:38 PM
  3. Best all around fork for a Heckler??????
    By browncow3636 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 12:13 AM
  4. Superlight vs Heckler
    By TMich in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 02:50 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 04:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •