LE Reporter
    Dec 2004

New question here. My new Fizik "Aliante" is a plumpy

Hi,

For 3 years, I 've been riding a Fizik Aliante with Ti rails. It's 238 g and quite comfortable. Now I thought I could save some weight on my road bike and bought an Aliante with carbon rails (2004 model on ebay).

I know that Aliante Carbon is not the 160 g claimed once upon a time - but I couldn't believe my eyes when my scales displayed 233 g.

But the scales are okay: Reweighed the Aliante Ti at 238 g.

Has anybody experienced the same? Are there differences in covers over the years?

How can I distinguish a black leather cover from a black "Microtex" cover?

Thanks for comments

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My Ti Aliante weighs 248!

It is comfortable and I was considering getting the carbon rail version for my new road bike, but not now! I won't pay that much money again for something that weighs that much over the "sales" weight. I hate liars!

A little of everything
    They must have changed something. Here is my saddle. It's the first model with black leather. The claimed 160g were for the blue microtex edition. It's lighter than the leather version, but I don't know by how much. Originaly there were also no scuff guards on the carbon railed version, I had mine put on by sending my saddle to them in Italy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Anders; 01-15-2005 at 02:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    They must have changed something. Here is my saddle. It's the first model with black leather. The claimed 160g were for the blue microtex edition. It's lighter than the leather version, but I don't know by how much. Originaly there were also no scuff guards on the carbon railed version, I had mine put on by sending my saddle to them in Italy.
    Mine carbon one is 178g WITHOUT carbonscuff guards.

LE Reporter
    Dec 2004

More details

@ B R H

I'm not sure if the weight of my "plumpie" is representative. Weights posted to www.weightweenies.starbike.com for recent Aliate Carbon models are about 210 g (with "scuff guards"). But the conclusion is: Don't buy an Aliante without having controlled the weight.

Could be my new Aliante is a 2003 model: It has a one piece cover with "Carbon Twin Flex" printed on it.

I'm quite sure that my new Aliante is no plagiarism (as all details look the same compared with my early Aliante Ti), but maybe it's an OEM version?

@ Anders

I expected little above 200 g. At least significantly less weight compared to my Ti rail version.

Both of my Aliantes are fitted with "scuff guards", and the cover looks the same (appears to be black leather but I'm not sure - so if anybody knows how to distinguish leather from Microtex please let me know). The only noticeable differences are the rails and the fact that the new Aliante's cover seems to be somewhat thicker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

I just started using one a couple weeks ago and mine too is 230ish replacing a 185 gram saddle but I don't care. It is the most comfortable 230 gram saddle IN THE WORLD. I could not believe it!

A little of everything
    For 2005 they have made some cheap OEM versions. The difference is, that the shell is made of black plastic instead of carbon and the rails are made of steel.
    I have seen it on a 2005 CUBE Agree road bike.

Cassoulet forever !
    My carbon alliante without protection is 190g.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

LE Reporter
    Dec 2004

OEM version

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    For 2005 they have made some cheap OEM versions. The difference is, that the shell is made of black plastic instead of carbon and the rails are made of steel.
    I have seen it on a 2005 CUBE Agree road bike.
    Then I should consider me lucky that the weight of my new Aliante is not 300 g.

Apparently mine is none of these as it looks in all details like the saddle you posted above.

LE Reporter
    Dec 2004

New question here. Ti or Carbon rails

Quote Originally Posted by waynomtb
    I just started using one a couple weeks ago and mine too is 230ish replacing a 185 gram saddle but I don't care. It is the most comfortable 230 gram saddle IN THE WORLD. I could not believe it!
    Is yours the version with Ti rails or the version with Carbon rails? 230 g for a Ti version with scuff guards is okay.

I am not the one thinking weight overrules everything - but 230 g is nevertheless disappointing for the carbon rail version.