mtbr member
    Apr 2012

My Marin Team Titanium - Help required to save weight?

Hello everyone - I am new to the forum and have always been a weight weenie ! I finally managed to build my dream bike My Marin Team Titanium 2009. There is only 73 frames in the world and this is number 63.. Anyway the build is currently as follows:

Marin Team Titanium Frame
    Rock shox sid world cup xx 2012
    Full Shimano XTR M980 Double groupset
    Stans No tubes ZTR Podium wheelset on DT Swiss 240 hubs
    Xpedo M Force 8 TI pedals
    Racing Ralphs Evo 2.1 set up tubeless
    Hope Race X2 brakes 160 front 140 rear
    FSA Force 0S99 stem
    FSA K Force Nano Bars 600m?
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio flow Saddle
    Chris King Headset
    ESI Racers edge grips

I think that is everything ! Anyway she is coming in at 8.9kilo 19.62 pounds

I appreciate this is fairly light but ideally would like to get it down below 8.5kg - So I was thinking of changing the following;

- Rocket rons? Slightly lighter than the ralphs?
    -I Guess XX1 maybe ? as you would lose one shifter and a front mech so would save 250 gram?? Maybe more..

Any other suggestions guys? without going silly for example AX lightness wheels ? Shmolke bars etc..

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Marin Team Titanium - Help required to save weight?-dscn4019.jpg  

My Marin Team Titanium - Help required to save weight?-dscn4021.jpg  

My Marin Team Titanium - Help required to save weight?-dscn4020.jpg  

My Marin Team Titanium - Help required to save weight?-dscn4022.jpg  

My Marin Team Titanium - Help required to save weight?-dscn4023.jpg  

My Marin Team Titanium - Help required to save weight?-dscn4025.jpg  

Thumper
    Nice build. So you need to drop 400g to hit your mark. You'll have to run XX1. Without thinkin too hard... or go 1x10.

XX1 -250ish g
    Lightning XX1 crankset 450g= -100g approx savings over Sram crankset (250g lighter than Xtr m980)
    Seatpost you have could lose about 88g w. 6Kcycles 27.2 290mm 112g $99.

Thats about 462g in savings which subs your mark.

Wheels should be the first place you should consider though. How much does your wheelset weigh in at without cassette/rotors? Drop those nice Hope rotors. Too heavy.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride!

Do you race it? going to 1x10 might not be the best for you if you race. But if its not your race bike you should go 1x10. It simplifies things, drops weight(quite a bit from shifter, der, cable, chainring), and costs very little.

Crankset could save you some wight as well. But I love XTR cranks!

I'd rather be riding
    I think it's great looking. The xtr goes so well on ti frames. I say leave it as is. I'm a bad weight weenie.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Right, keep the XTR. My 3x10 XTR Titan 26" hardtail is weight around 8.5kg but with some silly components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cwcheung View Post
    Right, keep the XTR. My 3x10 XTR Titan 26" hardtail is weight around 8.5kg but with some silly components.
    Get a ti bolt kit for the Thomson, if you can handle it swap that m980 cassette for a dura ace 11-28. Get a m980gs rear D (you are running a double after all). Selle italia slr tt sadle. I'm running a dura ace front D with a spleen top pull adapter. A lot lighter than m980's. ( or run a rear dura ace D if u go 11-28)
    Get a set of the hope x2 match maker clamps for xtr and a set of their sl saw tooth rotors in 160/140.
    Finally drop those sids for a lefty sl or go with a rigid carbon fork like the ritchey at 625g. That should do it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate it.. I am tempted to go with the Race Face Next SL x1 crankset comes in at 435grams for the 175mm 36 tooth I think plus a KCNC 11 - 36 Ti Cassette loose the front mech and shifter and that would save me around 400 grams.

Wheels come in around the 1250grams mark. Ok I know you can go get wheels around the 1000 gram mark but they cost upwards of £2k !!!

I don't race this bike - just a weekend ripper !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neilyoung123 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate it.. I am tempted to go with the Race Face Next SL x1 crankset comes in at 435grams for the 175mm 36 tooth I think plus a KCNC 11 - 36 Ti Cassette loose the front mech and shifter and that would save me around 400 grams.

Wheels come in around the 1250grams mark. Ok I know you can go get wheels around the 1000 gram mark but they cost upwards of £2k !!!

I don't race this bike - just a weekend ripper !
    I've got a wolf tooth cycling 88BCD cog on my SS, I would recommend them. Keep the xtr cranks & fit a CK ceramic BB. Woolf tooth are going to be making a 42 rear cog that should enable all hills to be climbed (13-42). buy that KCNC cassette to and enjoy.

Hack Racer
    Have you fully tuned all the bolts? The XTR shifter lever bolts are steel. You can switch to aluminum. Are your water bottle cages aluminum bolts? What about the headset preload bolt? Is that aluminum or chris king stainless steel bolt that came with the headset?

I love chris king stuff too, but you can take some weight off the headset by going with a Tune (not as bulletproof, but if you set it up correctly with the correct preload, and skip using the Tune gumgum thing (my would slip and it eventually destroyed the headset).

-Bolt tuning will net you maybe 80g
    -lighter headset (Tune) will remove maybe 20g
    -Carbon headset spacers or fancy ones from plastic (like the Cane Creek AER spacers) will save you 10g
    From this you need to find another 300 or less grams to save.

- what about skewers? What skewers are you running? KCNC skewers are around 50 to 55g.
    - what about the front derailleur clamp bolt? Is that original shimano?
    - what about the rear derailleur main pivot bolt? You can get an alloy one to save 3g
    - You can also shorten your cables to the bare minimum (all you need is to be able to turn the handle bars all the way parallel to your frame)
    - Do what others have said and get a Ti bolt kit for your Thomson Masterpiece.
    - Also looks like you are not using the full length of the seatpost. Mark where you are at, and then determine the delta between min insertion length and what your required length is and cut off the rest
    - What chain are you running? Shimano XTR? Once you have worn it out, you can go with a KMC X10SL chain and it will save you maybe 20g.

All of the above may be able to get you the 400g you are looking to save.

by the way, beautiful bike!