I am the Tin Man!

My exercise in weight weeniness, clyde style.

Im 6'3 and 220 so I dont much worry about a few ounces here and there. My Gary Fisher HiFi 29er weighs in somewhere around 30 lbs. I just got a luggage scale, going to make the weight official tomorrow. I ordered some Elixir brakes to replace my Juicy's, going to ditch the 3x9 and go 2x10, then go tubeless. I also have a 5th element rear shock to replace my Fox RP23. Planning to make this happen over the next month, hoping to get down into the 26 lb range on a $600 budget. I know thats not very light for some of you but I figure on a body to bike weight ratio thats pretty good. I am going to document the changes here and how much each component drops.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

metrotuned WoS
    Save your money and go with the best wheelset you can get - that's the biggest weight savings for the buck.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    4lbs for $600 = tall order.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Save your money and go with the best wheelset you can get - that's the biggest weight savings for the buck.
    And it'll be the most noticeable.

mtbr member
    Trick is finding a light wheelset without a weight limit. For example, Stans ZTR Crest have a limit of 190 lbs I think. Roval Control carbons run in the 1400g range and allow 230 lbs, but you are well over a grand for those.

I am the Tin Man!
    Thanks for the input guys, I realize that wheels are the optimal place to put your money, but with my needs and budget my bontragers will have to do. I do plan to drop some grams going tubeless.
    This started because I had one of my juicy's rebuilt last year and was in need of rebuilding the other, I found the price to get new elixirs was not much more than fixing the juicys and that I would drop a half pound in the process so I made the switch. I've been contemplating going 2x10 for a while so I decided to make it all happen with the goal of dropping some weight in the process.

I am the Tin Man!
    The official beginning weight without pedals is 29.1 pounds. I have one elixir installed now and waiting on the other one, dropped 178 grams ea ch there, put on new grips, 39 grams less each. Have ordered all of the stuff needed to convert to 20 speed, just waiting to get here.

mtbr member
    Have you considered going 1x10 rather than 2x10? Do you really need 20 gears? I made the swap from 3x9 to 2x9 a year or so ago and have now gone 1x9 with a 36t up front. That'll drop you the weight of two chainrings, your front shifter, cable & housing and mech. Plus you can go for a chainring something like a TA Specialites Chinook (just an example as that's what i use), which is particularly light and drop a few extra grams.

I am the Tin Man!
    A 1x9 with a 36 tooth up front? You sir, are an animal. I definitely need a granny tooth up front. Even with a new 36 tooth cog in back I am nervous to have a 27 be my smallest up front because of some of the hills I ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    A 1x9 with a 36 tooth up front? You sir, are an animal. I definitely need a granny tooth up front. Even with a new 36 tooth cog in back I am nervous to have a 27 be my smallest up front because of some of the hills I ride.
    lol You obviously have bigger hills round your neck of the woods!