Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: My Build!

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I Like Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    153

    My Build!

    My current build as we speak:

    Giant XTC frame
    Manitou Skarab Comp Fork
    Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Avid Single Digit 7 Brakes
    XT F. Der.
    Sram X-9 R. Der.
    Race Face SRX BB. ---- Soon to be, scandium bb from nino...(hopefully)
    Race Face Progidy XC Cranks
    Sram PC69 Chain
    Sram PG-990 Cassette
    Shimano 959 pedals
    FSA Integrated headset
    Easton Mag Stem ------Soon to be Syntace F99 Stem
    Sram X-9 Grip Shifters
    Selle Italia SLR Saddle
    Easton EC50 Post
    Giant Clamp
    XT Skewers -----Soon to be Bolt on Skewers- What kind though?
    Maxxis Ranchero F. Tire
    Maxxis Larson TT R. Tire
    Avid Single Digit 7 Levers
    Bar Tape Grips

    This is my current build as we speak but i would like to lighten it up some. I think that with the changes that i put up there in the build list it will lighten it up a bit. I put out the parts on a spread sheet and i estimated my bike weight at 21.79 pounds. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I also plan after this up coming race season to build up a really nice set of wheels..right now i'm just trying to get some extra cash for them.

    Thanks in advance.
    Andy
    JF2 Racing!

  2. #2
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    Giant XTC frame:keep
    Manitou Skarab Comp Fork:keep
    Spinergy Spox Wheels: you said you were saving for better ones..
    Avid Single Digit 7 Brakes: get some Ti/Alu bolts for them.
    XT F. Der.: Ti/Alu bolts..
    Sram X-9 R. Der.: Ti/alu bolts
    Race Face SRX BB. ---- Soon to be, scandium bb from nino...(hopefully)
    Race Face Progidy XC Cranks: Alu chainring bolts and maybe some lighter rings.
    Sram PC69 Chain: keep
    Sram PG-990 Cassette:keep
    Shimano 959 pedals: you could get egg beaters.. but I hear the 959's are great.
    FSA Integrated headset: not much oyu can do here..
    Easton Mag Stem ------Soon to be Syntace F99 Stem
    Sram X-9 Grip Shifters: maybe some Alu bolts.
    Selle Italia SLR Saddle
    Easton EC50 Post:Is this a typo?
    Giant Clamp: get something else, thse things weigh close to 30grams.
    XT Skewers -----Soon to be Bolt on Skewers- What kind though?: Just the cheap Cro-mo ones that most lbs's should be able to get you.
    Maxxis Ranchero F. Tire
    Maxxis Larson TT R. Tire
    Avid Single Digit 7 Levers: Alu bolts..
    Bar Tape Grips


    There are lot of place to save weight with silly weight components, but that will cost you quite a bit of money(which you said you didn't have..).

    A question: Does or did your FSA headset ever creak??

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I Like Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Giant XTC frame:keep
    Manitou Skarab Comp Fork:keep
    Spinergy Spox Wheels: you said you were saving for better ones..
    Avid Single Digit 7 Brakes: get some Ti/Alu bolts for them.
    XT F. Der.: Ti/Alu bolts..
    Sram X-9 R. Der.: Ti/alu bolts
    Race Face SRX BB. ---- Soon to be, scandium bb from nino...(hopefully)
    Race Face Progidy XC Cranks: Alu chainring bolts and maybe some lighter rings.
    Sram PC69 Chain: keep
    Sram PG-990 Cassette:keep
    Shimano 959 pedals: you could get egg beaters.. but I hear the 959's are great.
    FSA Integrated headset: not much oyu can do here..
    Easton Mag Stem ------Soon to be Syntace F99 Stem
    Sram X-9 Grip Shifters: maybe some Alu bolts.
    Selle Italia SLR Saddle
    Easton EC50 Post:Is this a typo?
    Giant Clamp: get something else, thse things weigh close to 30grams.
    XT Skewers -----Soon to be Bolt on Skewers- What kind though?: Just the cheap Cro-mo ones that most lbs's should be able to get you.
    Maxxis Ranchero F. Tire
    Maxxis Larson TT R. Tire
    Avid Single Digit 7 Levers: Alu bolts..
    Bar Tape Grips


    There are lot of place to save weight with silly weight components, but that will cost you quite a bit of money(which you said you didn't have..).

    A question: Does or did your FSA headset ever creak??

    No my FSA headset didn't ever creak why?
    ya the post is a typo: its a easton EA50 Post, sorry!
    I am going to keep my pedals- i love them!

    any other suggestions would be great!

    thanks
    JF2 Racing!

  4. #4
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Bikes
    No my FSA headset didn't ever creak why?
    ya the post is a typo: its a easton EA50 Post, sorry!
    I am going to keep my pedals- i love them!

    any other suggestions would be great!

    thanks
    I have the same frame and Headset and mine creaks like a BIATCHH...

    Anyway..

    Seeing you have a easton EA50... I am guessing this is a 27.2size? If this is the case, then you're running a shim.

    I saved 90grams by ditching this post in favour for a thompson(still a heavyish post), you will need either a 31.8 or a 31.6 size post(I went with the 31.8, but wish i went with a 31.6 cause it's a more common size and I could reuse it on my next bike-RacerX).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I Like Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    153

    um...

    the seat post size for the frame is a 27.2 and the post is a 27.2 so everything works out perfect. i will prob replace the post with somthing lighter than the thompson in the future anyway.
    thanks for the help though!
    peace
    JF2 Racing!

  6. #6
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Bikes
    the seat post size for the frame is a 27.2 and the post is a 27.2 so everything works out perfect. i will prob replace the post with somthing lighter than the thompson in the future anyway.
    thanks for the help though!
    peace
    What frame model is yours? All Aluminium XTC's, NRS's, VT's.. if they are running a 27.2 seatpost, they are running a shim.

    Either way... sounds like you know what you got to do

  7. #7
    Gone riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,369
    Andy, sounds like a nice build. Do you have any pics?? Bike freak has got most things down for you. As he mentioned, doing anything "big" will be big bucks. I really like your spec how it is though.

    The 929's are a fantastic pedal, but you can save a fair bit going to a 'beater - perhaps a twin Ti if you can afford it. The only other low cost (depending how you look at it) weight cutting would be to get the dremmel onto the SLR....

    You also missed listing what handlebar you are running. A fair bit of weight can be saved if you're still running the stock titec or whatever.

    ********************************

    Bike freak - have you tried tapping out and cleaning the headset cups and putting them back in half a turn out??

    Failing that a bearing replacement and/or a headset replacement might be on the cards. As you would know, sound tends to travel through bikes a bit, I'd be checking your stem and bars for grit and sharp edges.

    I've also had noises on my XTC come from carbon steerer spacers against the bottom of my stem. A lube up and they were silent. That one took a while to track down.....

    As for those bl**dy shims........ another source of creeks.....

    Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by Low_Rider; 01-19-2005 at 03:55 AM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I Like Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    153

    yup

    ya here are the pics. this is before i took off the bar ends and put on the bar tape though .
    this XTC is just the normal hardtail...no carbon

    thanks

    i have posted it on mtbr before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JF2 Racing!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Hi Andy,
    The quickest and the cheapiest way to loose weight is from your tyres/inner tubes.
    You don't list the length of your tyres but I believe they weight about 600gr (2.0'') the front and 480gr (1.9'') the rear.

    You can save a lot of weight by using Maxxis Flyweight 330 or Conti Twister Tupersonic, they weight between 660gr to 680gr the pair.
    If you are not willing to go that low you can use Larsen TT in the front also or even better the Larsen MiMo eXCeption (425gr). Other good tyres in that weight area are the Schwalbe Racing Ralph (460gr, 2.1''), Nokian NBX Lite (475gr, 2.0''), Michelin Wildgripper Comp S Light (460gr, 2.0'').

    As for the inner tudes, you don't list them also, you can go very light with Schwalbe XX-LIGHT MTB (95gr each) Conti MTB 26 Supersonic (95gr each) Maxxis Flyweight (100gr each), Panaracer Green Lite (100gr each), Michelin Aircomp Latex and Tioga Super Light (around 125gr each).

    Don't be affraid to go light in tyres and tubes, as Ned Overend points to his book, if you going to have a flat with a light-weight set up the possibilities are to have it with a heavier one also.

    For seatpost I recoment USE Alien Aluminium (185gr), it is a bit difficult in set up but you are going to loose 90 gr over the Easton and costs as Thompson.

    As Low_Rider pointed out, what type of handlebar you have on?

    I don't know if you are familiar with the Weight Weenies site, you can find there weight listings of the most bike components.

    Regards

  10. #10
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Don't forget Schwalbe Fast Freds. They're 350g and with Stan's rim strip (50g) and a little goop you have a tubless setup that's just over 400g! And Fast Fred has a really good tread for dry/hardpack conditions.

    _MK

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I Like Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    153

    hey thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles
    Hi Andy,
    The quickest and the cheapiest way to loose weight is from your tyres/inner tubes.
    You don't list the length of your tyres but I believe they weight about 600gr (2.0'') the front and 480gr (1.9'') the rear.

    You can save a lot of weight by using Maxxis Flyweight 330 or Conti Twister Tupersonic, they weight between 660gr to 680gr the pair.
    If you are not willing to go that low you can use Larsen TT in the front also or even better the Larsen MiMo eXCeption (425gr). Other good tyres in that weight area are the Schwalbe Racing Ralph (460gr, 2.1''), Nokian NBX Lite (475gr, 2.0''), Michelin Wildgripper Comp S Light (460gr, 2.0'').

    As for the inner tudes, you don't list them also, you can go very light with Schwalbe XX-LIGHT MTB (95gr each) Conti MTB 26 Supersonic (95gr each) Maxxis Flyweight (100gr each), Panaracer Green Lite (100gr each), Michelin Aircomp Latex and Tioga Super Light (around 125gr each).

    Don't be affraid to go light in tyres and tubes, as Ned Overend points to his book, if you going to have a flat with a light-weight set up the possibilities are to have it with a heavier one also.

    For seatpost I recoment USE Alien Aluminium (185gr), it is a bit difficult in set up but you are going to loose 90 gr over the Easton and costs as Thompson.

    As Low_Rider pointed out, what type of handlebar you have on?

    I don't know if you are familiar with the Weight Weenies site, you can find there weight listings of the most bike components.

    Regards

    yes i am familiar with the weight weenies site. thanks. i just couldent find the weight of the bar. its a control tech bar with ultra thin al.
    it is actually a pretty light bar. i have a couple extra tires lying around the house and i am trying to get ride of some of them. i have 2 (1 brand new, 1 very slightly used michelin comp s light tubless tires. and 1 brand new maxxis ranchero tire. i just got the ranchero in the front and the rear larson is getting burnt low on tread, so i don't know what i am going to do about that. i will prob pick up some ultra light tubes though!
    thanks guys
    JF2 Racing!

  12. #12
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,137
    that PG990 cassette weighs about 300g, while an XT is about 260 for the same gear range. That's a pretty significant weight savings, rotational as well. I also found the PG 990 to wear very quickly.
    Last edited by Jm.; 01-20-2005 at 07:23 PM.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  13. #13
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    that PG990 cassette weighs about 300g, while an XT is about 260 for the same gear range. That's a pretty significant weight savings, rotational as well. I also found the PG 990 to wear very quickly.
    ...and not shift as well. As far as rotational weight, that's insignificant. It is right around the axis of rotation.

    _MK

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I Like Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    153

    ya..

    i replace my chain and cassette every season anyway, so the next on that i get i will make sure its lighter!
    JF2 Racing!

Similar Threads

  1. To build or not to build
    By muddywings in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 08:57 AM
  2. Help a girl out with SS build
    By -kelly- in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 12:04 PM
  3. cost effective ways to save weight on 575 build
    By jacksonpt in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 09:54 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 12:11 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •