Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Just passing through....

My "budgetlight" hardtail build, finally done (pics)

After getting unceremoniuosly busted by the wife after sneaking down to the garage to work on the project after we had gone to bed, I gave it a couple of days thought. I realized that I just needed to lay down the law and in no uncertain terms lay it on her that a man's garage is his castle, so I did. Boy, I sure felt better, and I think she would have understood had she been awake when I explained it to her. Anyway, the backup/parts/budgetlight bike is done. I had some camera probs but still got off a few shots.

22" Access frame from Supergo

Used the Vuelta levers from my Mag V-brakes

Needed a 5 bolt compact to run a roadie drivetrain, so I picked up a Kooka cheap on Ebay. I took off the worn red anodizing with oven cleaner (a pain in the rear). I still have to clear coat them.

I used an Ultegra rear der because it was just as cheap as XT but alot lighter. I could hardly find anyone with an Ultegra 12-27 or SRAM 12-26 cassette in stock, and those that did wanted nearly $60 for one. Jenson had the Dura Ace 12-27 in stock for $93, so I splurged, my only real anomoly in the "budget" department.

Finally, a home for the back up Noleen.

Anyway, it holds the spare parts and gives me a bike for bikeless buddies to ride with me. I took it out this morning for a ride, the only difference being that I used my spare Karma DTC's instead of the Minotaur and Fast Fred so I could compare more closely to the Epic. I had the lightweight tires just laying around, and I didn't want to waste my Karmas on a tooling around bike. I will pick up a larger volume set to use with it, maybe trying the Python Airlights again, so the final weight of the bike will be a tad heavier, but still sub-22 lbs.

I'll follow up with the specs:
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 07-14-2004 at 09:08 PM.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Just passing through....

The specs.....

including grease..... . Everything was weighed (except the grease), and the total bike was weighed. The total cost is not meant to be exact, as shipping on the few Items that were shipped was not included, nor was the wheelset, which came OEM on the Epic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 07-14-2004 at 09:21 PM.

I love Pisgah
    Nice fork.

The bike looks great! Are you running a 20t granny? Looks like a hollow pin cp89 as well. Now theres a cheap chain LOL!

Thats right...set the wife straight eh? heheh.

Nice ride. Since its ridden less usually, its a great standby when the main ride is down. Or otherwise, its always there to take the heat off said main ride. Roadie rides...training...mud...or just some'm different for a change...etc.

Also, riding different bikes back and forth...make steering tendencies, geo, components, etc. more apparent for each bike, and this helps with understanding such differences easier and such, and clarifying in ones mind, what you like and dislike much easier. Did I say that right?

edit: I see the specs now.

Duck
    Last edited by Duckman; 07-14-2004 at 09:27 PM.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Very nicely done. I'm building my own budget bike now. Wish I had bought a Noleen before. One just sold used for 150$ (Kmans I think). Eh, maybe I'll just splurge and get a fox. The frame deserves it.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    a touch better than a pound lighter than my budgetlight, and oh yes...scroll sideways....well, about 32% more expensive than mine was ($600US and 22.62 Ibs). I've been pondering building another budgetlight as I do have one more set of fast freds...and those $49.99 7005 ediscount frames are supposed to be a half pound lighter than the one I used.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 07-15-2004 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Very nicely done. I'm building my own budget bike now. Wish I had bought a Noleen before. One just sold used for 150$ (Kmans I think). Eh, maybe I'll just splurge and get a fox. The frame deserves it.
    RST XMO O2s are fairly cheap to get used and weigh as little as the noleen's do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wink Damn you!

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    including grease..... . Everything was weighed (except the grease), and the total bike was weighed. The total cost is not meant to be exact, as shipping on the few Items that were shipped was not included, nor was the wheelset, which came OEM on the Epic.
    I said you should get an Access but I didn't tell you to build a larger frame lighter than me, did I?!

You've made an enemy for life my man!

Btw, take those Noleen decals off!

Nice rig and happy riding!

On your left.
    Jan 2004

very nice

My number one question is - how does it ride? I've considered getting an Access frame to do the same type build you did, but mine would be for faster, smoother races and riding on the road.

I think the best thing about your budgetlight is that is looks quality. The parts are recognizable, work together and the finished project is a totally legit mountain bike. Nice job!

Very funny about "explaining" things to your wife while she was asleep.

After getting unceremoniuosly busted by the wife after sneaking down to the garage to work on the project after we had gone to bed, I gave it a couple of days thought. I realized that I just needed to lay down the law and in no uncertain terms lay it on her that a man's garage is his castle, so I did. Boy, I sure felt better, and I think she would have understood had she been awake when I explained it to her. Anyway, the backup/parts/budgetlight bike is done. I had some camera probs but still got off a few shots.

Anyway, it holds the spare parts and gives me a bike for bikeless buddies to ride with me. I took it out this morning for a ride, the only difference being that I used my spare Karma DTC's instead of the Minotaur and Fast Fred so I could compare more closely to the Epic. I had the lightweight tires just laying around, and I didn't want to waste my Karmas on a tooling around bike. I will pick up a larger volume set to use with it, maybe trying the Python Airlights again, so the final weight of the bike will be a tad heavier, but still sub-22 lbs.

M

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    My number one question is - how does it ride? I've considered getting an Access frame to do the same type build you did, but mine would be for faster, smoother races and riding on the road.
    I've only taken it for the one ride on the local fireroad loop, but it really seems to ride nice, I'm pleased. The main thing I noticed was that the cockpit feels tighter than my Epic, (maybe a shorter top tube) making for a different feel. But I think that the frame was a great buy, light enough for the price. I thought about getting one of the ediscount frames, but 20" is still too small for me, and by the time your done with shipping, etc, the price is more than doubled. Still a good deal though. I just waited till the "no tax" sale at Supergo, and picked it up for the $149 out the door, including seatpost and 16 g seat clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    Very funny about "explaining" things to your wife while she was asleep.
    Yeah, they complain less that way....

Quote Originally Posted by Manitou
    Btw, take those Noleen decals off!
    Somehow I knew that one was coming......

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    a touch better than a pound lighter than my budgetlight, and oh yes...scroll sideways....well, about 32% more expensive than mine was ($600US and 22.62 Ibs).
    Its just one of those things where you just have to decide what your aiming for. I ended up aiming for sub 22 lbs and tried to do it as cheap as I could. One could also aim for sub $600 and try to make it as light as possible. I chose the way I did because I wanted a supply of back up parts for my main ride. I may do it the "cost first" way next time.

Also, my original intent was to use all the parts that I took off of the Epic, but then started looking around and seeing how I could drop 90 grams with a $10 set of brakes, 40 grams with a $16 stem, etc. Next thing you know, I bought a whole set of new components and the only thing I used from the Epic was the wheelset.

While I had been thinking about it for a while, your bike gave me the idea to get started on getting it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Also, riding different bikes back and forth...make steering tendencies, geo, components, etc. more apparent for each bike, and this helps with understanding such differences easier and such, and clarifying in ones mind, what you like and dislike much easier.
    I noticed this on the first ride. Not only the cockpit thing I mentioned above, but also I realized that my Epic does indeed have a rear suspension. Its still harsher than most, but its definitely there. I've ridden that loop literally hundreds of times, and never really noticed the rear suspension before. This was my first time on a hardtail in over a year and a half.
    Its nice to ride something different, and try different components out.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice also.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 07-15-2004 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

"... a bike for bikeless buddies to ride with me..."

DFM, I wonder if your bikeless buddies realize they are!

How do those Minotaurs compare to the Karmas?

Peace.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

edit to last reply

I meant to say..."I wonder if your bikeless buddies realize how LUCKY they are"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm David and Goliath...

Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    I meant to say..."I wonder if your bikeless buddies realize how LUCKY they are"
    I hope every one of his friends is a giant like he is or they're in for one hell of a ball breaking experience trying to ride that thing

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    DFM, I wonder if your bikeless buddies realize they are!

How do those Minotaurs compare to the Karmas?

Peace.
    I rode the Minotaurs full time for a while. They are the best of the ultralight tires IMHO, far better than the Fast Fred in that you do have some grip. The problem is that with the skinny, low profile tires, they react too quickly to any input from the handlebar which makes for a "squirrely" feeling, especially on downhills and technical sections. Its not too bad, but not real confidence inspiring either, and confidence cannot be overstated. Thats the reason I have shunned them. The one terrain that they excelled on was grass.

One unexpected benefit from using them though was how much it increased my cornering ability. In order to corner with them, you have to use very good technique, and when I switched to the Karmas, I found that I could hold a line much better than before I used the Minotaurs. But the Karmas are a much better tire, and I am noticeably faster now with them.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 07-15-2004 at 07:18 PM.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou
    I hope every one of his friends is a giant like he is or they're in for one hell of a ball breaking experience trying to ride that thing
    Funny that you mentioned this. I actually thought about this when choosing frame size. I gave consideration to buying a 20" frame because it would fit a larger range of people, but in the end its my bike and it needed to fit me. But the 3 "bikeless" friends that I'm most likely to ride with are 6' 2", 6' 3", and 6' 6", with the 6' 3" guy being a major Clydesdale. I'm hoping to get them into MTB'ing.

well I just sold my budgetlight and another project build at the same time (his and her purchase by a pair of fiancees) so now i'm debating my next project.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    well I just sold my budgetlight and another project build at the same time (his and her purchase by a pair of fiancees) so now i'm debating my next project.
    The only way I'd sell this one is without the Noleen.

The only way I'd sell this one is without the Noleen.
    well the k2 dually I sold had a used Megaair on it, and the budgetlight had the xmo so I still got the other 6 megaairs

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Nice!

Looks great! You nabbed some great deals in some of your parts!

I think my "loaner" bike weighs about 33lbs. My non-biker friends all think I am really fast when we go for a ride.

BTW, what kind of a camera did you use to take the pics?

Cheers,
    Trevor

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    Looks great! You nabbed some great deals in some of your parts!

I think my "loaner" bike weighs about 33lbs. My non-biker friends all think I am really fast when we go for a ride.

BTW, what kind of a camera did you use to take the pics?

Cheers,
    Trevor
    I used an Olympus 3030 zoom. It was expensive 4 years ago when I bought it, but its obsolete now. Still takes good pics though.

BTW: I should have bought a third Noleen...

I think my next budgetbuild will use a SID or something from ebay. I'm not parting with anymore of my MegaAirs I don't think.

First I need a frame though. While I got a 16" butted 6061T6 frame in screaming orange (and no decals), and with seat collar and bolt its light at 3.5 Ibs, I'd like to do avoid taking the small size escape clause to light bikedom (which is one reason the previous budgetlight used an 18" frame). Right now I'm bidding on a few magnesium frames.

banned
    Apr 2004

You sick pragmatic ba$turd

I for one am thoroughly impressed. Do those Supergo MTB frames ride as good as they look? Ive got one of their Ultegra Scattante road bikes, it fits and rides so nice I can't justify a frame upgrade.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    . Do those Supergo MTB frames ride as good as they look?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these frames. I've gotten in a couple of rides now, and I'm very pleased with it. For the weight, I don't think you can beat the price. I'm taking the Epic to Mammoth tommorrow for a week to give it some of the attention she has been missing lately.

mtbr member
    I wonder if using the Ultegra GS rear derailleur was a good idea. I have run such a setup myself at times, a triple with a 12-27 and an Ultegra GS and loved it. However if you cross chained (44 by 27) the bike it would lock up the drivetrain. New riders seem to be more disposed to do that than most.

I do it myself all the time with my 11-32 by 44/32/22 XTR SGS drivetrain now based on the advice in Ned Os book. Keeping yourself in the 44 is the best way to keep speed up on rolling singletrack.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    I wonder if using the Ultegra GS rear derailleur was a good idea. I have run such a setup myself at times, a triple with a 12-27 and an Ultegra GS and loved it. However if you cross chained (44 by 27) the bike it would lock up the drivetrain. New riders seem to be more disposed to do that than most.

I do it myself all the time with my 11-32 by 44/32/22 XTR SGS drivetrain now based on the advice in Ned Os book. Keeping yourself in the 44 is the best way to keep speed up on rolling singletrack.
    Interesting point. I'm pretty careful about watching my chainline, and I can't see a time when I would cross it that far, but I will keep an eye on it. Is this because of the shorter cage locking up in a position parallel to the ground? I've noticed on the stand that it comes awfully close, but doesn't quite hit. I actually added 2 links back to my chain because of it. Theres quite a few folks on the forum using a roadie derailleur/12-27 cassette and I haven't heard of any lock ups or other major type problems like that, but thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member

What will you clearcoat the cranks with

22" Access frame from Supergo

Used the Vuelta levers from my Mag V-brakes

Needed a 5 bolt compact to run a roadie drivetrain, so I picked up a Kooka cheap on Ebay. I took off the worn red anodizing with oven cleaner (a pain in the rear). I still have to clear coat them.

I used an Ultegra rear der because it was just as cheap as XT but alot lighter. I could hardly find anyone with an Ultegra 12-27 or SRAM 12-26 cassette in stock, and those that did wanted nearly $60 for one. Jenson had the Dura Ace 12-27 in stock for $93, so I splurged, my only real anomoly in the "budget" department.

Finally, a home for the back up Noleen.

I also have removed the anodizing from a crankset but so far leaving it nude - but would like to provide some sweat-salt protection - am hesitant to experiment with spray can clear coat until I hear it actually holds up.....I'm afraid it will start to chip and peel without some kind of prep on the alu first. Do you know of a sure fire method?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast