Thread: My Blur

mtbr member

My Blur

Here's where she's at so far. A lot of the parts that are on there are on there for reasons of economy. Either get what I can get so I can ride it, or wait until I can get what I want. Also, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Right now she's a solid 26lbs, but I've got plans to take more that 2lbs out of her for the nominal cost of ~$750. She was 25.5 but my wheelset crapped out REAL bad so I had to get someting I could afford, and these Deore wheels at 1920g (confirmed) were what I coud get for $100 new.

I've got plans for a DT 4.1 wheelset and that should take nearly 1lb out of her alone. Other components in the "to get" list are pauls levers, dura ace cables, xpedo crmo-mag pedals, foam grips, slr saddle, and maybe bolt on skewers. I really like the operaiton of the shimano skewers though. The off axis lever folds up real clean on the side of the fork leg, but that is trivial. Just looks nice.

(the 4th pic is a 100% crop of the third. I dig my camera!)
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 07-29-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    more....
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 07-29-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Max
    Velodramatic
    stop teasing us! how does it ride? does it bob? maybe when hammering out of the saddle?

a really pimpin ride, i like santa cruz bikes. the fsa stem is rather on the heavy side though, right?

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

mtbr member
    I think it rides absolutely awesome! I love it. I go out into the garage a couple of times every evening just to look at it, or do a few loops around my driveway to practice wheelies and trackstands. Maybe I'm sick. I dunno.. Don't care..

But yeah, back to your question. I doesn't bob that I can tell. I've once, I think, noticed pedal feedback. I have a hard time with that, because who do you know how much pedal resistance is from pedal kickback, or just the increased resistance from have to lift your (or my) heavy ass up over a rock? I don't know how I feel about the minute fork right now. Overall it's good, I don't not like it, but it could use work. I'm tempted to get an evolve kit and see how much of an improvement it is.

I'm not really a hammer out of the saddle type of guy, but I've been trying more lately. I'm more of a sit and spin, but I've been challenging myself to hammer more often but I have to be careful not to kill myself on one climb and ruin a whole ride because of it.

The FSA stem is like 142g confirmed. I'd like a Syntace, we'll see..

Thanks!

Max
    Velodramatic
    you aint sick, you just got a new ride i gues everybody fels the same. just yesterday when i rode my NRS again after 2 months of riding my HT and roadie, i was astonished how fast this bike is, and how effective the NRS suspension works.
    is it true that the VPP system needs some pedal backstroke to work properly? i.e. the beakcstroke brings the rear wheel into a stable position, from where any rear wheel movement results in a back-and-upwards (or back-and-downwards for negative travel) direction? i'm referring to the curve the wheel makes during taking bumps

so the FSA stem aint that heavy. back in the office i weighed a FSA stem with the carbon front plate. called "fsa os 140" or so and it weighed around 185g

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

mtbr member
    Great looking bike man! Congrats.
    Bikes are my time machines.

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Hey if your putting foam grips on, you want to sell me those ruffians?

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    the fsa xc-115 105mm weighs 128 and the 120mm weighs 132. not very good for a claimed 115 still pretty light for its cost though

i love the bike though! when i got my new bike this year, i kept it in my room at night for a week lol.. so ur not that sick
    suggestions - new pedals! an easy weight saver is new bottle cages (the cateye ones, REI probably has them)
    oh i just noticed, you should move your front derailleur up about 2mm

mtbr member
    I thinkn the camera angle makes the dreaileur look lower than it is, but it is pretty low. I had issues reliabley downshifting into granny, so some friends suggested I lower it. I also since then found out the cage (don't know what it's really called) was bent, so I bent it back as best as I could and now it shifts flawlessly. It was a hand-me-down deraileur, as were the pedals. The mark on my seat tube is where the deraileur was before I lowered it.

I like those bottle cages. They are adverteised at 29g each, and came with aluminum bolts, which I thought was pretty cool for less than $4 each! I dig the sexy 4mm ti ano aluminum wire. I only dropped a bottle once out of the cage under the downtube, but since then I bent it up a bit to hold it tighter.

I shouldn've mentioned that I've been riding it for about 6 months, so its not brand new, but newly at a "finsihed" or "semi-finished" state with no more lender roach components. Everything is cherry, even though it may not be trick (deore FD, deore x117 wheels, etc). I had a hand-me-down wheelset on it that was very old, and badly worn. It had purple/blue/gold/black/silver nipples, and the rim braking surface was very dished. I had to replace them because nipples started popping. I was down 3 spokes in the front, and 1 in the rear, and at that point my comort level dropped conciderably so I got desperate and bought the first wheelset I could afford.

Seriously, you don't think I could've posted pics on the internet with it looking like that, do you?

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I thinkn the camera angle makes the dreaileur look lower than it is, but it is pretty low. I had issues reliabley downshifting into granny, so some friends suggested I lower it. I also since then found out the cage (don't know what it's really called) was bent, so I bent it back as best as I could and now it shifts flawlessly. It was a hand-me-down deraileur, as were the pedals. The mark on my seat tube is where the deraileur was before I lowered it.

I like those bottle cages. They are adverteised at 29g each, and came with aluminum bolts, which I thought was pretty cool for less than $4 each! I dig the sexy 4mm ti ano aluminum wire. I only dropped a bottle once out of the cage under the downtube, but since then I bent it up a bit to hold it tighter.
    wow those are light metal cages! i thought they were just the plain old alloy cages that weight like 100g each lol
    and for the derailleur, whatever works! i just thought you might have problems shifting out of your big ring

Trail rider and racer
    Nice blur. Its not often you see Deore being used in light weight builds.

Always good to see XO and FSA carbon cranks - Nothing beats both items for shifting, durability and weight.
    Trev!

mtbr member

New question here. Custom Blur?

b - surprised no one has mentioned this, but the links on the blur are black (either painted or ano, not sure) same as the der hanger. yours appear to be polished! also the pivot caps are typically ano black. do you have some user customizations there or just a rare santa cruz experiment?

< edit - add >...
    - just noticed, that's a first generation blur frame. maybe on some of the original frames the links were polished. still, I've never seen it before even on the first gen's. anyway, very unique and i definitely like it - i've got a grey blur with a polished rear and it would look sweet with polished links. nice ride.

a couple of other suggestions -
    1. cover the driveside chainstay, the ano will eventually show wear from the chain.
    2. plug the yoke hole (search the SC forum for "yoke" if you aren't familiar with this).
    Last edited by micstew; 01-02-2005 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    yeah.. I bought the frame way back in dec. '03, and had a lot of time on my hands before I had enough parts to put it together. so, I got a little wild with my dremel. I thought it looked too dark witha all the balck wrinkle texture ano parts.

I did wrap the chainstay and half of the seat stay with an old inner tube over the holiday. I havn't yet plugged the yoke hole. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good job!

I think it rides absolutely awesome! I love it. I go out into the garage a couple of times every evening just to look at it, or do a few loops around my driveway to practice wheelies and trackstands. Maybe I'm sick. I dunno.. Don't care..

But yeah, back to your question. I doesn't bob that I can tell. I've once, I think, noticed pedal feedback. I have a hard time with that, because who do you know how much pedal resistance is from pedal kickback, or just the increased resistance from have to lift your (or my) heavy ass up over a rock? I don't know how I feel about the minute fork right now. Overall it's good, I don't not like it, but it could use work. I'm tempted to get an evolve kit and see how much of an improvement it is.

I'm not really a hammer out of the saddle type of guy, but I've been trying more lately. I'm more of a sit and spin, but I've been challenging myself to hammer more often but I have to be careful not to kill myself on one climb and ruin a whole ride because of it.

The FSA stem is like 142g confirmed. I'd like a Syntace, we'll see..

Thanks!
    - Yeah, YOU'RE SICK, Just like the rest of us!!!
    NICE Ride!!! - LOVE the polished link & hardware btw....
    I think you know, I'm not really a fan of SPV but I'm told by my Manitou guy's the EVOLVE upgrade makes a huge difference, I hope they're right.
    Again, sweet rig B, Happy New Year btw....

- Just noticed : You SLACKER, you FORGOT to polish the DROPOUT in all that spare time!!!!!
    Last edited by DMFT; 01-03-2005 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Add on......

mtbr member
    Ahh, but I did, and bent it, then decided polishing the replacement was too much work, and takes to much time. Back then I had time because it wasn't built and I couldn't ride it anyway, but now, all that polishing time could be riding time

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    WELL........... Just DON'T FALL OVER next time!!!

- Classic reply B. You are deff. ILL, in a good way though

mdf
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bottle cage- what and where?

What kind are those and where did you get them?
    I need some new lighter ones for myself.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Minoura Dura Cage, QBP carries them in a bunch of colors. If your LBS has a QBP catalog, I'm sure you could score one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Bmadau

Would you mind going over the Dremmel / Polish proceedure you did on the Links???

SOMEDAY, Santa Cruz is sending me my new Blur & I'm thinkin' about pimpin' the polished look on the lil' bits.

Thanks brudda!

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    New pedals? Ha! Just leave the 959's alone they'll work better and last longer than any of the other garbage out there including eggs.

mtbr member
    I'm not a polishing expert, but here's what I did. It was a combination of dremel/hand work. I used a flapper wheel on the dremel, but you have to be careful. Al is soft, and a dremel can gouge it faster than you can say, "Oh shh----oooot!!!". Getting the Ano off is the hard part. It would've been nice to get the parts stripped, but you can't do that on the links. The bores that the pivot pins go through need to be ano'd for corrosion resistance (pin freeze is no fun) so stripping them is out of the question, but the dropout could be. The rest I sanded with a bunch of different grits of sandpaper working my way up ot real fine stuff, like 600 range. Then I got out my polishing compound and wheel for the dremel and lit it up. A real bench mounted buffer would probably have worked better, but you make do with what ya got.

Oh yeah, on the bottom like, I also chopped off the over-extention tab-thingy... The top link intefered with the fame before it hit the BB shell anyway, and with the shock moutned it tops first too, so I though it was a pretty usless hunk of metal. Too bad I didin't weigh the link before and after, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good job! Sweet!

Thanks alot, sounds like a P.I.T.A but kinda fun too!!!

Dat mah bike, punk!

Oops..................

more....

I just ejaculated on my keyboard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

FSA carbon cranks

How are your FSA Carbon cranks holding up? Are the stiff? I'm think about getting a pair to replace my XT cranks.

mtbr member
    I don't notice any flex. The hold up real fine. I hit a LOT of rocks out here in the desert, the first few made me cringe, shed one or two tears, but now they are just battle scars. Of course I took the pics with the bash marks down, I ride predominatly right foot forward. I'm very happy with them.

It's been almost a year now, and I think I'm needing a new big ring. They don't shift into the big ring and effortlessly as they used to.