Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Hack Racer

My 17 lbs Lynskey Ti hardtail

So for a very long time ever since I was a little kid I wanted a titanium mountain bike. Unfortunately paper routes + allowance money could never afford such luxuries. I remember reading Mountain Bike Action Magazines as a kid. Drooling over the pictures of Litespeeds, Merlins, Kona Hei Heis and King Kahunas. I actually was ready to buy a Kona King Kahuna reproduction for the past 2 years (2007 & 2008), but Kona never imported that frame to North America in 2007 and did not in 2008. Hence I went with a full squish last year. I had built up a full suspension bike last year to experience what full squishy is like. Prior to that I had only ridden hardtails, and I missed the shear sprint power that a hardtail brings.

Last year's build: My 19.7 lbs Kona Hei Hei Supreme finally done...

The 90s were days of anodized CNC'd parts from Kooka, Pauls, Ringle, Answer, Hope, TNT... I loved those days. My favorite color was definitely 3D Violet (3DV aka Purple aka my eyes hurt color). My dream bike back then was

Litespeed Ocoee
    Litespeed stem
    3DV Chris King headset
    3DV Ringle Hubba Bubba Hubs
    3DV Ringle Post
    3DV Kooka Cranks
    Philwood square taper BB
    XTR M952 front D
    XTR M952 shifters
    Pauls Rear Derailleur
    Mavic 517 rims
    SID fork

For which I actually researched for many weeks trying to find NOS parts or even taking modern parts and re-anodizing them for the Lynskey frame. Thankfully the amount of effort required meant it was not feasible, and no one would do a custom one off purple batch of parts in Toronto. I even toyed with the idea of doing the anodizing myself, but questioned what I would do with all that acid afterwards and how to dispose of it.

The idea of lets spend stupid amounts of money and build a new bike when I had two perfectly good mountain bikes came from this picture:

The owner I believe posts over on the Vintage, Retro, Classic subforum.

So with the idea "Hey let's build your dream bike when you were a little kid." I fire sold my 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc bike @ 22 lbs with every single part upgraded to put a deposit on the Lynskey frame.

Since Litespeed is a shell of what they used to be, and finding out that the Lynskey family had opened up shop after their non-compete clause with American Bicycle Group expired; meant my first seach went to http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/

The build started off with an email to sales@lynskeyperformance.com asking more about the M230 frame. There were some things I was looking for in the Ti frame. Breezer style dropouts, shaped tubing, under Top tube cable routing. The stock M230 frame that Lynskey offered on their site seemed to fit me perfectly. For a couple of hundred more bucks I got: slightly lengthened top tube, Level 2 bi-axially shaped downtube, the routing moved to the top. The discussion of selecting a Ti frame came to be in the thread below (thanks to all who contributed in that thread):

How light can a Ti Hardtail frame be?

Jack from Lynskey was the guy I dealt with over the emails. This is what I told Jack during one of our email exchanges,

"What I want my bike to do?"

* Cut up the single track
    * Climb like a mountain goat
    * Win races
    * Sub 17.5 Lbs race ready bike (sub 2.85 lbs frame if possible)

He responded. Not a problem. We traded emails back and forth regarding questions on BB height, angles, different cable routing, axle to crown measurements of the forks I wanted to use, color etc... The frame is basically a stock 2009 M230 17" frame with slightly longer top tube with shaped downtube and level 2 upgraded tubeset (butted tubes). Then I made the splurge and called him up with my credit card information to place a deposit.

One month later he sent me a PDF file of a CAD layout of my new Bike. We traded emails back and forth while I made redlines to each drawing revision until we were both happy and I gave him the Authorization to Proceed (ATP).

One week after ATP I got an email from Jamie who looks after all the post welding finishing to see if this is how I wanted the graphics to be laid out on my bike. Yet another PDF drawing for me to approve.

By end of November they had finished my frame. I had them get a copy of my bike's drawing autographed by Chris and David Lynskey.

Meanwhile the parts collection had started. Unfortunately the Canadian Dollar tanked against the USD right around the time the financial sector imploded. Crap. The parts come from various sources:

All fasteners came from http://torontocycles.com/
    Tools and other odds and ends Universal Cycles & Mountain Equipment Co-Op
    Hope Brakes from http://www.wiggle.co.uk/
    Middleburn Parts from Chain Reaction Cycles
    Tires and Cassette from http://sales.light-bikes.com/
    Tune Parts http://www.royalbicycles.com/
    Wheels by Jeremy and Sarah over at http://www.alchemybicycleworks.com/
    XTR Parts and other odds and ends from Ebay USA and Ebay Hong Kong
    Random items from Local Bike store: http://dukescycle.ca/ & http://www.gearsbikeshop.com/

The idea behind the parts selection was, Light as possible without going stupid. I can not come to terms of buying thm clavicula cranksets, or Ax lightness saddles and posts, nor could I ever justify a schmolke handlebar. So I picked what I felt was the best parts that mainstream manufacturers today have to offer. The Hope brakes pay homage to the days of CNC'd bling parts. The Easton carbon EC90 seatpost and handlebar reflect that they were one of the first companies to offer carbon fibre parts to the bicycling industry and I always wanted one. The wheels are just simply amazing, originally it was just going to be Notubes ZTR Race. After talking with Jeremy Parfitt I was again convinced to go full custom like I have done on all my other bikes.

I'm not going to re-summarize the discussion on each and every part. I do thank everyone who has contributed their 2 cents on the pros and cons of each part I have asked about:

Hope Brakes: 2009 Hope Mini X2 Pro Weights and Pics
    Middleburn RS8 DUO: 2x9: Middleburn RS8 ISIS Duo = 522g (no BB)
    Bottom Bracket sizing: Is this Bottom Bracket too narrow? Am I playing with fire?
    Manitou R7 MRD cable routing: Manitou MRD R7 - Correct brake hose routing?
    3DV: Titanium Frame + 3DV = ?
    Frame: Lynksey Titanium M230 - 17" semi custom 1343g
    Tune hubs, Ti spokes: Ok, looks like the forum is boring lately... 1185g Custom Tune wheels

So here are some pictures...

Frame weight

Breezer Dropouts

100mm Manitou MRD R7 Absolute

Middleburn RS8 ISIS DUO 29T/42T

Front wheel

Rear Wheel

Talc'n the tubes and inner tire (helps a bit for pinch flats, plus your bike smells nice afterwards)

The golden bling Ti cassette

Easton EC90 setback seatpost 31.6mm w/ Titanium bolt

Cycle King carbon saddle

Anything that didn't get copper antiseize got threadlocking compound. No threads were left bare.

checking to see if there is still a gap... .0015 feeler gauge

fork sizing

weight of remaining steerer tube

fork, stem, headset, spacers, cap installed

104g EC90 bar installed. If you have been following this forum you will know the story.

tuned w/ anodized aluminum gold bolts

Rear wheel put together

The bike being weighed

The final built weight

Those are my poorly taken pictures. Now for some beauties that my friend Bill took for me to use to submit to the http://www.light-bikes.de/eng/2009/0...-contest-2009/ contest.

The bike has been assembled following all the NASA standards, processes and practices for mechanical integration of space flight hardware for manned and un-manned flight that I have learned over the 4+ years as an Aerospace Manufacturing Engineer. Comments and criticisms are welcomed.
    Last edited by Cheers!; 03-15-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Cuánto pesa?
    Cheers,
    Needless to say, but I'm green with envy..

Awesome build and write up....

~Jake

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Beautiful build. Titanium rocks. You should get the fork painted gold to match the chain/cassette! Also, a KCNC seatpost would save some weight. I doubt the CF is improving the ride quality. Though I suppose you wanted to match the handlebars? I'm assuming you'll be buying nino's magical tubes when they become available.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy
    Beautiful build. Titanium rocks. You should get the fork painted gold to match the chain/cassette! Also, a KCNC seatpost would save some weight. I doubt the CF is improving the ride quality. Though I suppose you wanted to match the handlebars? I'm assuming you'll be buying nino's magical tubes when they become available.
    I'll look into getting a pair or two of the tubes to try out as long as shipping isn't killer on them.

regarding the KCNC Ti-Pro Lite seatpost, I'm a non believer of that seatpost, and any seatpost that shares the same clamping mechanism. YMMV of course, but I didn't have any luck with my. If you picked up the upper and lower craddle off of a thomson seatpost and used that with the KCNC Ti-Pro Lite that may be a worthwhile option. I had two issues with my Ti-Pro Lite, the front bolt head snapped off, and the small narrow cradle doesn't support the rails enough.

Others on this forum had the same problem. And I assure you I used a torque wrench that had just recently been calibrated to install the bolts on the KCNC seatpost.
    Last edited by Cheers!; 03-15-2009 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    That final build is so awesome!

Now that you got some pretty pics takes, its time to get 'er dirty!

mtbr member
    Such a beautiful bike! Im only about 10 minutes from Lynskey.

mtbr member
    Very nice. Very very nice.

If I was assembling - I would have changed seatpost to Masterpiece. Just looks cleaner for the same weight. And headset to Crank Brothers SL - it looks integrated on a ti headtube, and 10g lighter. And maybe R7 to Durin in a custom color...

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Very nice. Very very nice.

If I was assembling - I would have changed seatpost to Masterpiece. Just looks cleaner for the same weight. And headset to Crank Brothers SL - it looks integrated on a ti headtube, and 10g lighter. And maybe R7 to Durin in a custom color...
    I know... but the seatpost came off of ebay for 35 USD with me the only bidder. The seller spelled easton wrong. I couldn't complain for that price and it was brand new.

I didn't realize the cups on the Tune headset would stick out so far until I went to go install it. By then it was too late, but at least the headset matches the hubs.

The fork was 299 USD closeout special from JensonUSA because it is a 2008 model. I couldn't turn that down! Plus it is suppose to be the lightest 100mm XC fork on the market now (providing it works).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Have you found that placing a housing seal after the pinch bolt on the xtr derailleur has adversly effected shifting in any way? I would have thought it would have bunched up when shifting to the larger gears.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy
    Have you found that placing a housing seal after the pinch bolt on the xtr derailleur has adversly effected shifting in any way? I would have thought it would have bunched up when shifting to the larger gears.
    Hrm... I'll keep an eye on it. This is the first time I installed the seals on the SP41 housings.

My main concern is will this fork work... I hope I don't have the dreaded click from the valve, and leaking air chambers pressurizing the wrong side of the piston.

mtbr member
    super nice, reliable, solid build. Many kudos to you on it. Please give some feedback on the cranks vs. the shimanos on your other bike. I'm looking into them myself.

Only thing I see on the build that I would have done differently is the headtube height. If I was going to add that many spacers, I would have made the headtube 1/2" or so longer.

mtbr member
    This is what I was expecting from you and maybe just a little more. I really love the high quality photos to really bring it all home. The weight is nothing short of fantastic, mostly because I can't pick out anything that looks weak. I don't think I wold have chosen that saddle, but thats a personal deal. All in all, thats a really sweet ride, and I know you are going to love it.

(Slightly off topic, but wasn't that you posting about the new gold GT zaskar at ww chat forum, just after you said this was your last bike?)

Lover, not a fighter...
    Dec 2006
    Awesome. Can you post some muddy pics after some miles? I'm still jonesin' here.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranked
    This is what I was expecting from you and maybe just a little more. I really love the high quality photos to really bring it all home. The weight is nothing short of fantastic, mostly because I can't pick out anything that looks weak. I don't think I wold have chosen that saddle, but thats a personal deal. All in all, thats a really sweet ride, and I know you are going to love it.

(Slightly off topic, but wasn't that you posting about the new gold GT zaskar at ww chat forum, just after you said this was your last bike?)
    Thanks for the compliments. Fortunately the that Gold GT Zaskar bike is not for sale. You have to win it by placing 1st in a GT sponsored race. I drink too much beer and eat too much ice cream to place 1st in anything.

bi-winning
    That's a beautiful bike Cheers! What category will you be racing in this year?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Very nice build. Looks very high qaulity and the parts are hard to say anything bad about. Great looking. Tell us how it rides. What rims are those (sorry if you already mentioned this)? And do you like running tubeless or no because if you use a minimal amount of sealant with just the yellow tape and stem it is even lighter.

mtbr member
    Bike looks pretty darn good and well built!

What type of and who's tubing do Lynskey use?

Give us a ride report and comparison to your previous bike.

mtbr member
    First off, that was very well written. Most of these posts I skim, this one was worth reading.

Second, holy crap that bike looks fast. The cranks are beautiful. Nice build!

mtbr member
    cheers-

fantastic write up and nice shots of everything. I've always had a thing for ti. I'd love to do titanium with pink bits here and there.
    3po armorless, the first weight weenie.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    Thanks for the compliments. Fortunately the that Gold GT Zaskar bike is not for sale. You have to win it by placing 1st in a GT sponsored race. I drink too much beer and eat too much ice cream to place 1st in anything.
    ah, yes...another with "much upside" falls prey to the dreaded beer and ice cream combo dream killer

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Great looking bike. Should roll super fast. I'm going to fool around and pickup a nice hard-tail frame myself here soon if you don't stop posting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Congrats..

Looks unreal--- really love the write up.

Thanks again for all your help..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Beautiful bike, inspiring build.

I have a '96 Waterford custom I'm trying to decide what to do with. Retire it and hang the thing on a wall, or send it back to Waterford for a repaint and disc brake mounts added to make it modern. I wish I could afford a Ti frame, but steel has always been real for me. Last time I weighed it, it was 20.5 lbs or so. If I could get it within a pound and a half of yours-that would be something.

Again, it's a beautiful bike- there's something special in riding something that was built just for you. Let us know how it rides!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsuma
    Beautiful bike, inspiring build.

I have a '96 Waterford custom I'm trying to decide what to do with. Retire it and hang the thing on a wall, or send it back to Waterford for a repaint and disc brake mounts added to make it modern. I wish I could afford a Ti frame, but steel has always been real for me. Last time I weighed it, it was 20.5 lbs or so. If I could get it within a pound and a half of yours-that would be something.

Again, it's a beautiful bike- there's something special in riding something that was built just for you. Let us know how it rides!

haha, i have a 90s custom Rockhound that getting powdercoated right now, i dont want the disk tabs yet though. my 19" frame is 1940g, so if you used the same parts as Cheers it would be about 1-1/2lb heavier.

mtbr member
    I love it! what about some ti headset spacers? this pic looks like it's flying downhill, have fun
    Attached Images Attached Images
    la vida sigue.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast