mtbr member

Move to Full Carbon Saddle

Couple of threads on this, but no real follow up.

I'm looking to move to a carbon saddle and save ~100g.

Any long-term issues with the slippery finish?

What about the flexy totem saddle vs more firm ones?

Assuming the fit works for your butt, are folks comfortable with them using a chamois?

Would love some longer term input, cheers.

Helmetless Crasher
    Just go w/ a San Marco Carbon Aspide FX, 125g and uber comfortable.

Just my 2 cents.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

T.W.O
    Like full carbon? I made the mistake of getting one of the ebay ones and it was harsh. Even with chamois. I would be happy to get rid of it.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    San Marco Aspide carbon seems like a nice one.

Here is another one at $209 is not bad and at 115gm.

2012 Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbon Flow Saddle selle italia slr kit carbonio flow |SLR Kit Carbon Flow | Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow

Watch out for the cheaper carbon saddles on ebay, they are really slippery and it will drive you up the wall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've just got a san marco ASPide carbon FX and so far really like it (134g). It seems as comfortable as my WTB Laser V Ti (229g) but almost 100g lighter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ive been using one of the 96g full carbon saddles from eBay for the past 2.5 years with no issues They are comfortable to my bum, done a few 12 hour rides and far to many 5-6 hour ones to count.
    I did have to replace it after i stacked the bike on one occasion as it put a few chips on one side which snagged my shorts

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i also wanted to get one of those carbon saddles of ebay but am worried about comfort , i suppose its under $100 and you could resell it if it doesnt suit.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Some of the Dash Saddles are actually pretty comfortable. I was a huge skeptic when I first saw them but they have a good amount of flex which helps to ease some weight off of my sit bones.
    They are uber-light, uber-sexy, and very durable too.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    I have a Selle SMP Full Carbon. Been on it for 3-4 years. It's 116 grams, and so far, wearing cycling shorts, the seat feels great for any ride under 3 hours. After 3 hours, I begin to feel the lack of padding. Most of my rides are between 2-3 hours, so, I love this seat. It was pricey, but I was able to find a great deal on e-bay.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie....html#poststop

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My carbon seat is something close to this one:
    full carbon fiber bike saddle, bicycle seat | eBay

I've had it for about 3 months and have about 300 miles on it. My longest day on it included 4 1-hour legs in a 12-hour race. I'm a Sport-level racer and this saddle is on my 19# LTK023.

It fits me and my crack well. It's a better fit than most of my other (padded) seats (e.g., Fizik Arione, WTB Speed V-Pro, etc.) . I highly recommend it for XC racing on most of the courses that we encounter here in the Washington, DC area (Wakefield, Fountainhead, Shaeffers).

I would not recommend this seat for highly technical riding (e.g., with mandatory air or where you are spending a lot of time off the back of the saddle to keep your weight back). It is completely unforgiving. So, if the bike slams you, you will feel it in your anus/back. Also, I have this fear that at some point I'm going to take a dive and the saddle is going to shear my nuts off. Even though the saddle's corners are rounded, they could do some damage in the nether parts.

In short, it's good for courses where you are confident you're not going to fall and where carrying around 92 grams vs more than 200 grams is significant to you.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input folks. My butt likes the WTB Rocket V, but I can save some quick weight with a change to carbon.

I'll try to find one of your recommendations that matches the Rocket V layout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I haven't used the Rocket V, but have put lots of kms on the Laser V and the Silverado Racing (both the Ti railed versions). Not sure which one the Rocket V is closer to shape / fit wise. The Laser V was comfy on rides up to 6 hours and after that it would get uncomfortable. The Silverado was never really comfy, but became for me, unbearable after about 3 hours.

For me, the san marco aspide is comfy like the Laser V, but I'm yet to get a solid 6+ hour ride in on it.

mtbr member
    I've been using a full carbon fibre sadle for several years now and haven't had any issues. The saddle I'm using is an AX Endurance which is rather flexy and thus very comfortable.
    The slippery finish can be felt more or less depending on the shorts I'm wearing, normally it's not an issue.
    If you're thinking about getting a carbon fibre saddle, do it rather sooner than later. The only real grief I have with it is that I should've gotten it earlier I liked its style but hated the price tag so I bought like 10 other saddles before it, trying to find a good match, only to end up with it anyhow. The money I lost on the other saddles could've easily gotten me a spare saddle for my hardtail

mtbr member
    eBay carbon saddle arrived, and just installed it today. Will give a full review soon.

Was a bit tentative about applying 80 in-pounds on the rails, but so far so good.

BTW, was the "SD-005" model, although several variations out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Becker, Tune, AX are all good but eBay saddles I would skip. I have changed my Becker MTB 69g and Tune Speedneedle 97g both to Selle SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle. It is much more comfy than Tune.

mtbr member
    A bit late, but just stumbled on this thread.
    Have been riding all carbon no padding since 3 years or maybe more now. In the beginning the slippery was a bit annoying, but got used to it. Use Assos bib shorts and and now no problem with 8 hours in the saddle. Took a while to get my butt broken in.
    Have now 2 saddles. A Token which was the first (recommended here on mtbr), second a S-Works Specialized (95 gram only) and this is the one I have used most.
    Before I used SMP saddles (evolution model) for 5 years but they are so pricey that should I ever get one that look like this it would have to be a chinese copy (on eBay for around 60$ in quantities) but do not know if I dare risk that.
    It takes time to get yourself broken in to a saddle without padding, but if you succeed it will be the best for even very long hours of riding and taken good care of it will last forever.

mtbr member
    Agreed, my eBay version is still going strong, and my butt is used to it - although you want a good chamois!

mtbr member
    Are the rails round or oval on the Ebay saddles? I can't tell...lol...
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member

Good job!

The Specialized S-Works and the Token are both 7 x 9 mm.
    I have no idea where the Specialized is made, but I guess the Token is made in China.
    Both are well made and comfortable.
    I have seen 5 saddles so far with carbon rails, all oval, all 7 x 9 mm, I think this is standard.
    Seat-posts that clamp from the side need much more torque in order not to slip when jumping, top bottom clamped need less torque.
    I have my carbon railed saddles torqued with 4.5nm (remember carbon paste) and have never had a loose saddle. Thomson Masterpiece seat-post 31.6 350mm around 150 gram (lighter than many carbon posts).
    Last edited by las-palmas; 06-06-2014 at 04:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Yesterday I moved to 3k glossy 100gr full carbon saddle from taobao
    cost to agent in China is $31, so add agent fee and ship 100gr to your country. (my agent is yoybuy.com)

Perfect saddle! Never back to regular saddles.

Example search request carbon saddles in taobao click
    Sorry, bad english.
    10.0kg custom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Are the rails round or oval on the Ebay saddles? I can't tell...lol...
    Mine are slightly oval, so you need to ensure your seatpost can accommodate.

mtbr member
    I'm running a Phenom Pro with carbon rails. I have the 7x9 clamp.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5