Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Listen! More Fiber in Your Braking....

From Velo news...

In skinny tire news, we just received a pair of beautiful Sampson Stratics carbon road brake calipers from the man himself, Eric Sampson. You may remember the Stratics name from the 1990's? Well it's back with a host of updated-for-2005 features.

The Stratics Carbon brake set features carbon fiber molded over and aluminum spine (in the fashion of many of the popular carbon cranksets on the market). The Stratics brakes also feature the dual pivot design on both calipers, stainless steel posts and cable clamps, and long lasting all condition pads.

The new brakes weigh just 159 grams for the front, and 151 for the rear =. According to Sampson the carbon brakes are, "stiff, with excellent modulation."

At $229, the Stratics are a fraction of the price of the only other carbon brake calipers I'm aware of, the $785 AX-Lightness carbon calipers (at 68 grams front, 59 grams rear).

For more information, call Sampson at 303-691-5650 or visit the web site at www.sampsonsports.com
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

banned

not light...

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    From Velo news...

In skinny tire news, we just received a pair of beautiful Sampson Stratics carbon road brake calipers from the man himself, Eric Sampson. You may remember the Stratics name from the 1990's? Well it's back with a host of updated-for-2005 features.

The Stratics Carbon brake set features carbon fiber molded over and aluminum spine (in the fashion of many of the popular carbon cranksets on the market). The Stratics brakes also feature the dual pivot design on both calipers, stainless steel posts and cable clamps, and long lasting all condition pads.

The new brakes weigh just 159 grams for the front, and 151 for the rear =. According to Sampson the carbon brakes are, "stiff, with excellent modulation."

At $229, the Stratics are a fraction of the price of the only other carbon brake calipers I'm aware of, the $785 AX-Lightness carbon calipers (at 68 grams front, 59 grams rear).

For more information, call Sampson at 303-691-5650 or visit the web site at www.sampsonsports.com
    i doubt that's real carbon. looks like a cheapo brake with look-a-like carbon. the weight isn't any lighter than Dura Ace or Campa Record or Mavic stoppers. definitely not a WW item.
    at 310g these are 130g heavier than some Zero-Gravities....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    [/url]

Can somebody produce a (sub 200/set) carrbon fiber V-brake ... please

Trail rider and racer
    They look very nice indeed. I would never have thought it to be the best material for a brake unit but if you can make 900g sturdy road frames, anything is possible I suppose.
    Trev!

chips & bier

Black metal engineering

While they are really purdy, I''m left wondering what the point is. They look like a close copy of regular DA brake calipers. If you're going to apply composites, 'carbon' copy generally isn't the most efficient way (either in terms of strength or weight) to go about it.

mtbr member
    What do you think about this?
    110 grams per side...with not WW pads...
    Attached Images Attached Images

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Who makes those?
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Valera Garbaruk(Kiev MTB- and Moto- racer) makes many components of carbon...His Mag bike is 8.5 kilo's...
    Seat Binder(alu bolt) - 5 grams
    Bar (580mm) - 120 grams
    Seatpost(27.2*330mm) - 160 grams
    He is also making crank arms,brake levers,bar ends,seats...
    We, ukrainian riders, are testing all these components and, may be, in spring-summer they'll be avaliable for sale...

banned

nice BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by Focus_ua
    very nice indeed BUT carbon fibre is strong in TENSION only and what we have here is bending forces...i don't think that's a very good idea for application of fibres. and if you make an attempt with a light brake i'd implement the returnspring design of the Vuelta Mag brakes which is MUCH lighter.

as you can see in the picture below the return springs of the Vueltas are very small and wounded just around the cantiboss area. just like old-style cantilever brakes had them. saves a "ton" of weight compared to those loooong return springs that are common on todays V's.

mtbr member
    Thanks,nino!
    I didn't test Vuelta's(in Ukraine we don't have them ) but i've riden Avid Ti's and others linear pull brakes,and i can say that these carbon one's are best of all i've riden before...Great power,modulation,weight ..
    Material is great and it has future in brakes area.100%.
    Design of those brakes was taken from Shimano Deore..
    That was first attempt.
    An idea of returnspring design is very good, i suggest.We will try to make a reality.
    P.S.Sorry for my english..

Recovering couch patato
    I thought they looked like Deore's! Very good brakes BTW, Deore's, as long as they get good pads. My first-year Deore's with OEm cartridge pads were 192g incl noodle, alu tube and bolts. 163g Avid mags were better. If those apparantly very light Carbon V's are already as good or better than that, it's very promising.
    Yes, I can see that carbon parts are not by default best "carbon" copies of working alu originals. But if these are as good as reported, why change? Too stiff is not good either, we all know how bad the squeel could get with XT V's.

If the price and weighta are right, such carbon brakes could sell pretty nicely indeed.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

I pigskin I never Nerf it
    Oct 2004
    Valera Garbaruk(Kiev MTB- and Moto- racer) makes many components of carbon...His Mag bike is 8.5 kilo's...
    Seat Binder(alu bolt) - 5 grams
    Bar (580mm) - 120 grams
    Seatpost(27.2*330mm) - 160 grams
    He is also making crank arms,brake levers,bar ends,seats...
    We, ukrainian riders, are testing all these components and, may be, in spring-summer they'll be avaliable for sale...

Umm.. perhaps i'm doing something wrong, but :

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/items.1103050325.b.jpg on this server.

Is what is returned with all your link. ??

Apache/2.0.51 (Unix) Server at smotri.te.ua Port 80
    James

I aspire to be on Osokolo's ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by Osokolo
    small minds usually try to insult other people by saying things that they themselves suffer from...
    i dont care that you have a small penis or erectile disfunction

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spdrycr
    Umm.. perhaps i'm doing something wrong, but :
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /images/items.1103050325.b.jpg on this server.
    Is what is returned with all your link. ??
    Apache/2.0.51 (Unix) Server at smotri.te.ua Port 80
    hmmm....i don't know...
    If you don't mind i'll post images here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    hmmm....i don't know...
    If you don't mind i'll post images here...
    very impressive... he makes that stuff himself? I like the seatpost design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    very impressive... he makes that stuff himself? I like the seatpost design
    Thanks.
    Yes.He makes details for Bike and Motorcycles(where reliabilty is main thing) in garage of his country house
    Also we're making Ti QR's here, in Kiev...
    Sorry for bad image quality...

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i doubt that's real carbon. looks like a cheapo brake with look-a-like carbon. the weight isn't any lighter than Dura Ace or Campa Record or Mavic stoppers. definitely not a WW item.
    at 310g these are 130g heavier than some Zero-Gravities....
    nino, I agree with you about the weight but I'd have to say that's too real-looking to be faux-carbon.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    nino, I agree with you about the weight but I'd have to say that's too real-looking to be faux-carbon.

too real looking? The real look i think you're talking about isn't what real carbon fiber looks like.

mtbr member
    Ah! my desire has been heard: very nice but with brake-pads it will be in the ballpark of Avid/Velta Mags ... given how hard it is to develop a carbon fiber V-brake one might wonder if it is worth it ...

Why not trying to get rid a of the long spring (using an short elastomer, or a set up similar to the vuelta) and why not use a tubular arm (like the old Avid tri-align) instead of such a complex shape?

but ... they look great!
    Last edited by Davide; 01-09-2005 at 11:14 PM.

mtbr member
    110 grams includes BBB brake pads.
    With light road pads set(F+R) will be about 195grams...
    I hope we will get or make lighter brakepads...Then i'll post images on digital scale

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    What Nino is talking about is a clock srping rather than use of a torsion rod (most v-brakes).
    I happened to notice that the carbon cradle on the seatpost (that holds the seat rails) looks like it is delaminating already...
    correct.
    it takes quite a bit to make light AND durable carbon components. not by surprise only a handful of competent manufacturers do that: Schmolke, AX-Lightness...to name some. i also noticed the delamination. and what an odd choice of bolts on the seatpost.

there's more than just a straight carbon tube that goes in a nice seatpost. have a look at AX-Lightness for example:
    http://www.ax-lightness.de/englisch/...tsseatpost.htm

BUT those guys have INSANE PRICING!

mtbr member

Ooooooh!!!!

110 grams includes BBB brake pads.
    With light road pads set(F+R) will be about 195grams...
    I hope we will get or make lighter brakepads...Then i'll post images on digital scale
    That IS nice!!!! with a lighter spring (like Nino suggested) or maybe just a shorter one ... you are indeed close to sub 200 grams!!!!!
    Last edited by Davide; 01-10-2005 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member

Excellent! Please keep us posted on these carbon v-brakes. I have been wondering about these for a while!

Cheers,
    Trevor

chips & bier

I'm going to be really silly here, but...

I don't really see the difference in loading for a brake arm compared to (e.g.) a carbon handlebar. In both cases, one side of the component is subject to tensile stresses (for the brake arm the outside, for a handlebar the top), while the other is subject to compressive stresses (for the arm the inside, for a handlebar the bottom).

Don't neglect the fact that these carbon-composites consist of fibres woven in many different directions, bound together additionally by resin.

Recovering couch patato
    If carbon forks, frames and bars can't be made much more than a dozen percent lighter than high-end alumium, and unless the Deore's were heavily overbuilt in the first place, I expect carbon V's to have to be more oversized and heavier to perform at the same level. If I'm wrong, great! Going from alu to carbon, keeping dimensions the same saves, what, 60-70% in weight? Does carbon compensate for that? I'm affraid not.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    correct.
    it takes quite a bit to make light AND durable carbon components. not by surprise only a handful of competent manufacturers do that: Schmolke, AX-Lightness...to name some. i also noticed the delamination. and what an odd choice of bolts on the seatpost.

there's more than just a straight carbon tube that goes in a nice seatpost. have a look at AX-Lightness for example:
    http://www.ax-lightness.de/englisch/...tsseatpost.htm

BUT those guys have INSANE PRICING!
    Hi Nino, I sent you a pm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast