mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Middleburn RS7/RS8 ISIS & lightweight crank bolts

I want to replace my steel crank bolts with something lighter. Due to availability I'm considering these (Extralite 12g):

Now Middleburn states in the manual that only bolts with washers are to be used. Now I'm a little confused, can I use the Extralite, do they have a washer, I can't really make it out on the picture. This may also just be some rubber seal.

mtbr member
    Toronto cycles
    Titanium hardware section

Bye
    Juan

The Missing
    May 2007
    That titanium bolt set up is 26.5 grams from Toronto.

The FSA black bolts on Ebay are 18 grams

Let us know if these will work I would love to get a pair who is selling em ?

These are the FSA bolts below

The Missing
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by quax
    I want to replace my steel crank bolts with something lighter. Due to availability I'm considering these (Extralite 12g):

Now Middleburn states in the manual that only bolts with washers are to be used. Now I'm a little confused, can I use the Extralite, do they have a washer, I can't really make it out on the picture. This may also just be some rubber seal.
    From what I can tell there is a rubber O ring in that pic, So these should work.

The Missing
    May 2007

Looks like they do indeed have a rubber o ring to seal out water,

Anywhere in the USA can I get this or this overseas only ?

mtbr member
    I thought you were supposed to keep them steel because 3 light bolts are too easy to break?

Freezer
    I just got a set of R7 cranks with an FSA ISIS BB. The FSA BB came with alloy crank bolts and steel washers. The steel washers provide a surface for the alloy bolt heads to seat. Absent the steel washers it looks like the alloy bolt head would seat on an irregular surface on the cranks and wear away at the bolt head/crank interface. You might just get the FSA alloy ISIS crank bolts with steel washers.

The Missing
    May 2007
    I ordered the "Extra Bolts" a few days ago, i also ordered a set of titanium washers from Toronto cycles to accompany them. Will report back once I get all the pieces in.

mtbr member
    Make sure you grease the threads. People often use alloy bolts without greasing the threads, damage them and then blame it on the product.

The Missing
    May 2007
    for sure i am sure I have about 100 grams of carbon paste and grease on my bike

i don't give a shift
    Besides Extralite, there's Tiso and NC17. Use a steel bolt to tighten the crank, then replace it with the aluminum bolt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    instead of greasing I thought of loctite?????