mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Maxm MX-5 riser, paraniod it might have been overtightened

Hopefully someone on here has a view on this, I have a Maxm MX-5 riser, and I installed it with a torque wrench to the correct amount (2 bolt RF stem, 11Nm), however last night I got paranoid and decided to take the face plate off and have a look, just in case.

Anyhow to cut a already long story short, I noticed that there are a couple (3 max) of very small ripples in the laminate, may'be 2mm long, and a fraction of a mm high when part of the stem faceplate has gripped the bar.

Does this mean the bars are knackered? or is this completely normal? I have tried emailing info@maxcomponents.com, however they don't seem to reply, and now I am worried.

What do people think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichC
    Hopefully someone on here has a view on this, I have a Maxm MX-5 riser, and I installed it with a torque wrench to the correct amount (2 bolt RF stem, 11Nm), however last night I got paranoid and decided to take the face plate off and have a look, just in case.

Anyhow to cut a already long story short, I noticed that there are a couple (3 max) of very small ripples in the laminate, may'be 2mm long, and a fraction of a mm high when part of the stem faceplate has gripped the bar.

Does this mean the bars are knackered? or is this completely normal? I have tried emailing info@maxcomponents.com, however they don't seem to reply, and now I am worried.

What do people think?
    If its just in the clearcoat, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If its actually in the carbon, have the bar checked or replaced by Maxm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hmm it looked like it was just in the clearcoat, I will take some high res pictures, and wait for Maxm's reply then.

Shut up and RIDE!
    i also did that to my mx5! i think i overtightened the brake levers and i seem to put a small dent. maybe about 3mm long. my mechanic said it should be still okay. I am still using it and so far no problems

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Torque specs...

Where do you get the specs for how much to torque does the stem, brakes, etc? I just got an EC90 (101.3g) and will be putting it on a new build. Is it specific to the bar or stem? Thanks. Also, will lock-on grips be ok?

Calvin

Whatever

Same here, but not from overtightening

I rode my MX-5's for 9 months on my geared bike, then my singlespeed as a commuter for a few more months. Just changed the singlespeed into a real mtn bike SS and did my 2nd ride...lots of climbing and torquing on the bars, did not touch the bolts/stem at all...and noticed the same marks on the laminate and am worried.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I found the torque for each component out from looking on each manufacturers website for the components to see what they recommended.

No reply back from Maxm yet so I might try emailing them again.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    i was told by Chad devall (of redbarnbicycles.com) and Maxm that this is fairly normal and it is really only the paint/clearcost shifting (weird.. I know), and it does no structural damage.

Scared the hell out of me when I first noticed it, but i have been using my bar for many months since with no problems (and even scratched the bar in a crash! And was given an OK to keep using it).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Cool, looks like they will be OK then.

I t would be nice if Maxm replied though, as I haven't heard a thing back from them

Members who have read this thread: 0