SML
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

MAXM mc-1 xc flat

Hello

does have anyone have experience with MAXM handlebar, especially with the Maxm MC-1 XC Flat?

Thank you in advance

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SML
    Hello

does have anyone have experience with MAXM handlebar, especially with the Maxm MC-1 XC Flat?

Thank you in advance
    Uhh, yeah i just put one on, and it weighed 118 grams

I can't compare it to anything because this is the first carbon Bar I have tried, but feels nice to me. I got mine used and the paint was chipping badly, but still works.

It feels very strong to me, and my front end doesn't make a creaking sound anymor. I previously had a bontrager stem and a bontrager riser bar, massive heavy and when i torqued it hard it made a squeaky sound when i turned. It was annoying

Anyways, ill probably get flamed for saying this, but my steering feels stiffer then when i had that other aluminum stuff... definitely

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004
    I've used one last season(will be using it this season as well), it's stinkin light, and durable, my bike is a singlespeed and it work fine for my riding(solo 24's, Xc riding/racing)

use it, love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Where to buy it?

I've been looking for a good price on the Maxm MX-1 bar....have you seen any good deals lately? No one seems to have it in stock right now. Did Maxm change the design for 2005? I heard that Maxm's display at Interbike was pretty impressive....
    "What? Do I need a new bike? Well, of course! I still nedd a light duty trail bike, freeride bike, downhill bike, street cruiser, ultralight hardtail, unicycle, commuting bike, time trial bike, superlight roadie, and cyclocross bike! Who said that you can have too many bikes!"

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004
    get one through your LBS, sure, they may not have any right now, as it's the middle of winter pretty much everywhere, but I'm sure they can order one for you.

Giant Anthem Rider

Maxm won't have any 'til end of the month...

so hopefully you'll find a shop that has a pair. Just sent one back for warranty because the bar is rated to take barends but cracked on one end. Their customer service is pretty good. Eric, one of the reps said they're out of them until the end of the month. I'm usually ok with torqing the bolts, but I think it was the barends. As for the bar, I loved it. It has a nice feel (5 degree bend) and is pretty tough. They have a crash return policy $30 for mx-1 and I believe $45 for the riser.

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004
    if your using barends with any carbon bar, you must use alloy bar plugs, some bars have reinforced ends built in, Maxm does not.

Giant Anthem Rider

No doubt aluminum plugs would prevent cracks, but ...

I'm not sure if you've looked inside of the Maxm bar, but the Maxm bar's Isogrid (internal diagonal ribbing) will not allow any hard plug to be placed in the tube unless you scraped or in some other way removed a portion of the ribbing on the inside of the Maxm bar that gives it its extra strength. Therefore if Maxm states that the bar is barend compatible they fully expect the bar will accept barends with no extra parts for support. In my case I believe it was a combination of overtorqing and barends that didn't have a smooth round clamping surface that led to the cracks.

I swapped out some carbon Easton carbon bars for the Maxm bars that had no problem with barends, but I used different barends.

see http://www.maxmcomponents.com/pages/handlebars.html

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004
    uh, the site does say they are Bar-end compatible, I'm not disputing that, but any carbon bar that isn't reinforced with an Al insert of some sort will allow the carbon to gather from the torque load that bar ends put resulting in the bar pinching and eventually braking...these inserts do come in different sizes...

mtbr member

You'll have problems even with AL insert

I have been using an Extralite carbon bar for about two years now. It is carbon wrapped AL and weighs about 100 grams. The bar end area is reinforced with thicker AL but even so it cracked on the inside edge of the bar end from the force of the bar ends putting a side load on the bar when the bike was dropped on its side and the bar end took a whack. The bar end will no longer clamp tight due to the dimple in the bar. Never had problems with the clamping force damaging the bar. I've bent AL bars in the same way before but not to the point where the bar end could no longer clamp tight. Its been a good bar for two years so no biggie. I guess the point is, carbon is not real forgiving of abuse or everyday crashes but it shore is light.