mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Mavic XM819 UST Disc Rims

Does anyone know if the 465 gram claimed weight includes the FORE nipples, or if that is rim only.

Additionally, does anyone know the ACTUAL weight of the rims/nipples?

Thanks

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

465g is the rim weight...

FORE nipples about 50g.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    FORE nipples about 50g.
    Thanks, Now what would your opinion be with King hubs on these rims vs. the Stans 385 olympic rims with rim strips.

It is not very comforting to read that people talk about the tires blowing off the Stans.

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by TiRyder
    Thanks, Now what would your opinion be with King hubs on these rims vs. the Stans 385 olympic rims with rim strips.

It is not very comforting to read that people talk about the tires blowing off the Stans.
    Some more feedback..

Over priced and heavy for the King combo(Kings are way too expensive and are heavyish compared to lightest. They are indeed 'pretty' tho...). I do like the 819s mind you, but 'da be' heavy out where it counts imo. Heck, I have prolly the lightest 819 based wheelset I've heard of yet(1621gms per Mike Garcia), and have raced them many times. But even then I still prefer a converted set of 717s, VXCs, or Stans rims for racing or when it otherwise counts. This is the "Weight" forum, soo... The 385s would be effectively around 425gms with the strips, so 160gms difference.

Another point or two..

The strips are relatively fragile if care isn't taken when installing them. They do seal much better regarding inflating then the 819s do. The 819s can be more like the Olympics regarding this, meaning sometimes a pain with a non ust tire. At least thats how mine have been.

I would also say that tire blowoffs could be more a product of tire choice(weak thin non ust race tires maybe?) or operator error(like in my 1 case of over inflating and then forgetting. Duh on me. Otherwise I've had zero blowoffs over prolly 30+ races), not so much the fault of the rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Some more feedback..

Over priced and heavy for the King combo(Kings are way too expensive and are heavyish compared to lightest. They are indeed 'pretty' tho...). I do like the 819s mind you, but 'da be' heavy out where it counts imo. Heck, I have prolly the lightest 819 based wheelset I've heard of yet(1621gms per Mike Garcia), and have raced them many times. But even then I still prefer a converted set of 717s, VXCs, or Stans rims for racing or when it otherwise counts. This is the "Weight" forum, soo... The 385s would be effectively around 425gms with the strips, so 160gms difference.

Another point or two..

The strips are relatively fragile if care isn't taken when installing them. They do seal much better regarding inflating then the 819s do. The 819s can be more like the Olympics regarding this, meaning sometimes a pain with a non ust tire. At least thats how mine have been.

I would also say that tire blowoffs could be more a product of tire choice(weak thin non ust race tires maybe?) or operator error(like in my 1 case of over inflating and then forgetting. Duh on me. Otherwise I've had zero blowoffs over prolly 30+ races), not so much the fault of the rim.

Duck,

Have you tried a UST tire with the Olympics? I know they're heavy but I'm curious about sealing and blow offs with a tighter sidewall tire.

By the way I am on 819/Chris King/DT Rev/ 1.8-1.5 and they have been awesome for over a year and a half and 2 race seaons. THat said I just put together my racer X and the rims are the most significant place I can save weight on my build and Olympics are my primary focus. Also does anyone really feel it is worth getitng the heavier Olympics vs the Light Olympic?

Trey

Commander

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    Duck,

Have you tried a UST tire with the Olympics? I know they're heavy but I'm curious about sealing and blow offs with a tighter sidewall tire.

By the way I am on 819/Chris King/DT Rev/ 1.8-1.5 and they have been awesome for over a year and a half and 2 race seaons. THat said I just put together my racer X and the rims are the most significant place I can save weight on my build and Olympics are my primary focus. Also does anyone really feel it is worth getitng the heavier Olympics vs the Light Olympic?

Trey

Commander
    No, on the UST tire on the Olympic. I'd like to know myself.

Yes, you can drop a ton of prime weight with a light Olympic rim build. They'd be sweet on your new ride for sure. Which looks very nice by the way. Always liked that frame.

Personally, at 170ish lbs and after thrashing my Olympics(FW50, Snake 32, bent the rear last Spring in its first race, 2x12hrs, xc races, etc), they are strong enough for me. They were 344 and 348gms. I vote for the lightest for a raceish only bike.

Your lighter then me by a far amount, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I weigh 155 lbs without gear. I don't ride particularly hard but I plan to have one set of rims that are a do it all set for now. Right now that is my 819/CK wheels. What Olympics should I be focusing on? I plan to reuse the CK hubs and try out Sapim Laser spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also I have a set of UST Schwalbe RR's in 2.1 that I'd be happy to loan you to try out for a while with those rims for info. I am currently running a Specialized Roll X Pro UST.

Members who have read this thread: 0