Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375

    Mavic 230 wheels to upgrade

    My older bike came with some Mavic 230 wheels with LX hubs. I think they have SS spokes and alloy nipples. I can say that these wheels have been great for the kind of riding I do. They are very light, at least I think so, and have been a fairly decent wheel that didn't seem to need a whole lot of trueing.

    I am going to be converting my bike from 7 speed to 8 and have decided that instead of redishing the wheel just to buy new wheels. I was wondering how these wheels compared to maybe the x517 wheels in quality and weight. I am willing to consider another brand like Sun Rhyno Lites or something as well but I have no experience with other wheels as these are the only ones I have had.

    Any advice for the guy that is wanting to stay in the low $100 range is welcome.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,075
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    My older bike came with some Mavic 230 wheels with LX hubs. I think they have SS spokes and alloy nipples. I can say that these wheels have been great for the kind of riding I do. They are very light, at least I think so, and have been a fairly decent wheel that didn't seem to need a whole lot of trueing.

    I am going to be converting my bike from 7 speed to 8 and have decided that instead of redishing the wheel just to buy new wheels. I was wondering how these wheels compared to maybe the x517 wheels in quality and weight. I am willing to consider another brand like Sun Rhyno Lites or something as well but I have no experience with other wheels as these are the only ones I have had.

    Any advice for the guy that is wanting to stay in the low $100 range is welcome.

    Thanks
    230's are very light. I have a pair that are 375g each. The 517 would be a decent replacement. They are a bit heavier, but still very light (~400g). The 517's have a taller sidewall, so I find pad adjustment easier than on 230's. 517's are now discontinued, so you may be able to find a good deal on them. 717's are the current lightweight Mavic rim and run about 25g heavier than the 517.

    The Rhynolites are quite a bit heavier (~550g). If you've been fine w/ 230's and don't plan on changing your riding style anytime soon, the Rhynolites are probably more rim than you are looking for.

    Hubs are a whole other can of worms. LX hubs are generally durable, but not particularly lightweight...

    baker

  3. #3
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    230's are very light. I have a pair that are 375g each. The 517 would be a decent replacement. They are a bit heavier, but still very light (~400g). The 517's have a taller sidewall, so I find pad adjustment easier than on 230's. 517's are now discontinued, so you may be able to find a good deal on them. 717's are the current lightweight Mavic rim and run about 25g heavier than the 517.

    The Rhynolites are quite a bit heavier (~550g). If you've been fine w/ 230's and don't plan on changing your riding style anytime soon, the Rhynolites are probably more rim than you are looking for.

    Hubs are a whole other can of worms. LX hubs are generally durable, but not particularly lightweight...

    baker
    Yeah, they are very light wheels and have been really strong too. The reason I was thinking about the upgrade is because I am converting to an 8 speed and will have to have the hubs redished. Someone mentioned that it would better to just spend that money on a new wheel but since these seem to be really good high quality wheels, I may keep them. They don't have a very good breaking surface for V-brakes though.

    I like the light weight feel of the 230's and don't know if I would like the heavier Rhinolites. My bike already tips the scale at 27lbs and the extra rotational weight isn't needed. When you say that the Rhinolites weigh about 550g is that without the spokes and hub?

    Thanks for the info.

  4. #4
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,075
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Yeah, they are very light wheels and have been really strong too. The reason I was thinking about the upgrade is because I am converting to an 8 speed and will have to have the hubs redished. Someone mentioned that it would better to just spend that money on a new wheel but since these seem to be really good high quality wheels, I may keep them. They don't have a very good breaking surface for V-brakes though.

    I like the light weight feel of the 230's and don't know if I would like the heavier Rhinolites. My bike already tips the scale at 27lbs and the extra rotational weight isn't needed. When you say that the Rhinolites weigh about 550g is that without the spokes and hub?

    Thanks for the info.
    550g is just the rim. Finding a light and good wheelset for $100 will be quite a challenge. Personally, unless the wheelset is in primo condition, I'd put the money towards new wheels. I wouldn't really put LX hubs in the really good high quality category. I'd put them in the good solid workhorse category...

    baker

  5. #5
    In my mind, I can do it!
    Reputation: iviguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    550g is just the rim. Finding a light and good wheelset for $100 will be quite a challenge. Personally, unless the wheelset is in primo condition, I'd put the money towards new wheels. I wouldn't really put LX hubs in the really good high quality category. I'd put them in the good solid workhorse category...

    baker
    Well, there are some good deals on ebay. Granted they are used but good deals nontheless. Thanks for the info.

Similar Threads

  1. Welcome, here's your 29er FAQ thread!
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
  2. Do 29ers cure cancer?
    By PeT in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 04:18 PM
  3. Mavic Speedcity Disc Wheel Set
    By SingleSpeedSlave in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 08:41 PM
  4. Mavic Speed City wheels?
    By IAmCosmo in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 02:30 PM
  5. Lighter wheels Mavic 223 vs 717 disc
    By scott.com in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 05:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •