mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Marzocchi Corsa World Cup!?? Cant be 1150 grams, is it? & Where to buy Syntace Stem?!

1.Marzocchi Corsa World Cup!?? Cant be 1150 grams, is it?

Marzocchi and a few other resources claim its 1150 grams! thats insane... I don't believe it, but does anyone know anything about it? is it really that lightweight? how does it perform?

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/li...LN=UK&Sito=mtb

2. Where can I buy a Syntace F99 MTB Stem, 25.4 105mm length 6degree rise, in Canada? Who's the least expensive to order from online? What price should I be paying?

as well,

3. I'm building my wheelset this week. DT hugi 240S DISC centerlock hubs, Mavic xc717 disc rims (black 32 hole) and Dt Revolution spokes, laced 3 cross.

I weigh approx 190 pounds... I've ridden Revolutions on my last wheelset, mind you V brakes, but Bontrager Valient rims, Chris King hubs, and Revolution spokes... it was good and bomb proof for many years until I sold that bike. Never really had to true the wheels.

My riding style is smooth cross country, tight single track, some rocky fireroads, lots of fast steep climbs, whatever I can use my trials skills to get over, I will... I prefer to stay on the bike and ride through most things.

This is my first set of Disc brake wheels... Will they be okay for me?
    Last edited by Sexyblackbmw; 04-01-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    That wheelset will be way hot, but if you're into the trials moves on technical stuff and you use your brakes a lot to do it, you might consider using a stronger spoke, like the Sapim Laser/DT SuperComp (a little heavier, but strong and cheap) or Sapim CX-Ray/ DT Aerolite (invincible and light but hella expensive). Otherwise, sounds like a hot setup.

Re: the Marzocchi Corsa, from the reviews I've seen it appears to be very stiff and have very smooth action and lots of setup options, but from what I understand it's not quite as light as the target weight. Still the lightest fork Marzocchi has put out, and a great XC option to be sure.

No idea for sure about the Syntace F99 in Canada, but I know there are bike shops with accounts with American distributors such as QBP and BTI who could probably order it for you.
    A hardtail is forever

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Several magazines have reported them being quite a bit heavier. Its a rule that marzocchi will lie about the weights of their forks, especially the XC models.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

ups and downs
    Somehow Marz rationalizes posting the fork weight without the steer tube, even though you can't use it that way. They're in the 1560-1600gm range with a steer tube. Or about the same as the Fox and Reba with 32mm stanchions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexyblackbmw
    Marzocchi and a few other resources claim its 1150 grams! thats insane... I don't believe it, but does anyone know anything about it? is it really that lightweight? how does it perform?
    I believe there was a mistake somewhere and a pound got dropped from the number. It does in fact weight around 1.6kg

I weigh approx 190 pounds... I've ridden Revolutions on my last wheelset, mind you V brakes... This is my first set of Disc brake wheels... Will they be okay for me?
    I'd go with supercomps instead for a disc wheel, the weight difference is pretty small and you will get increased stiffness from the wheels.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    i think i saw in dirt rag that it was like 3.3 lbs. so, that's not exactly as light as they were claiming.
    Michael

mtbr member

For the Syntace stem

PM Dirtboy, I just got one from him recently.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mpap89
    i think i saw in dirt rag that it was like 3.3 lbs.
    That's about the weight listed in the QBP catalog, so it's probably plenty accurate.
    A hardtail is forever

Eat me.
    Jun 2006
    Corsa 80mm - 1670 g
    Corsa 100mm - 1680 g

http://marzocchi.com/Template/listSP...K&Sito=usa-mtb

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks guys! Sapim CX rays would be stronger than DT revolution? are they as expensive as DT aerolight's?

whats a good price for Sapim CX ray spokes? or DT aerolight?

the revolutions are so well priced, and readily available, will using them in a disc wheel cause breakage only from braking?

as far as trials, I'm going to try to steer away from putting the carbon scott frame through that abuse, and just ride... I'll use other beater bikes to jump off logs and picnic benches.

I really want a 1500 gram wheelset!

Any other Syntace online dealers you guys can think of? besides lightbikes/dirtboy?

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Any other Syntace online dealers you guys can think of? besides lightbikes/dirtboy?
    There are a ton! Here"

comcycle-usa.com, speedgoat.com, aebike.com

Anyone who deals with QPB can get them.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks dirtboy! did you get my PM??? I'll buy from you if I don't have to use paypal

mtbr member

CX-Rays

and DT Areolite do seem to be stronger than DT Rev.

During a 12h race, a branch caught my rear derailleur and broke the hanger and put a slight bend in one of my CX-Rays and now almost 2 yrs later the wheel is still running fine.

Check the prices here http://www.wheelbuilder.com/thumbnai...deep=2&cid=129

mtbr member
    the revolutions are so well priced, and readily available, will using them in a disc wheel cause breakage only from braking?
    I doubt you'd break them, it's more that you will end up with a flexier wheel.

I really want a 1500 gram wheelset!
    That's pretty easy to acheive without using revolutions. If you used stans olympic rims instead of XC717 for example, you'd get ~1470gr with 240 hubs and supercomps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Will the wheel be very flexy enough to significantly notice?

I can just pay the difference for the Aerolight spokes, or Sapim CX ray, if you guys are sure they'll make a latterally stiffer wheel?

Whats the weight difference between 64 DT revolution spokes, compared to 64 DT aerolight, compared to 64 Sapim CX ray?

anyone know? NINO, where are you?

mtbr member
    I can just pay the difference for the Aerolight spokes, or Sapim CX ray, if you guys are sure they'll make a latterally stiffer wheel?
    Aerolites/CX-Rays will definately make a stiffer wheel

Whats the weight difference between 64 DT revolution spokes, compared to 64 DT aerolight, compared to 64 Sapim CX ray?

anyone know? NINO, where are you?[/QUOTE]

Aerolites (and CX-Rays which I believe are the same weight) are 5grs lighter over 64 spokes.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    Aerolites/CX-Rays will definately make a stiffer wheel
    Stiffer than Revos? No. All those spokes have the same cross section, but the Aerolites and CX Rays are rolled flat on the middle section. The spokes have the same axial stiffness.

Ole.

mtbr member
    Well call it unscientific, but they feel stiffer to me .

Epic Photographer
    Oct 2006
    CX-Rays will allow for higher spoke tension before the spoke breaks. However, for ZTRs and 717's the weak link is the rim (Mavic. Supercomps would make a much stiffer wheel, and not add much weight. I would go for the ZTR Olympics and supercomps if you are looking for a light, yet stiff wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    oh, so its all about spoke tension? high tension means more rigidity?

I heard the Olympic is a softer rim than the 717. and its harder to build, and easier for a wheel builder to screw up...

So thats why I'm thinking play it safe and go with the mavics.

between the DT aerolight, and Sapim CX ray, what would you guys choose?

just whatever is less expensive?

Would I be making a mistake going with DT revolutions, xc717's and DT 240s centerlock hubs?

I mean its a lot of money I'm spending on the wheelset so I want to be sure I'm buying a good wheelset!

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    As long as the tension is high enough to keep all the spokes in tension during use, the wheel doesn't become stiffer with higher tension.

The Olympic rim is harder to build than a 717, but it makes a very durable wheel if built by a good builder. I've got several 80kg+ riders using these rims for training and racing with no problems. I've also had a few of those wheels finish the Transalp one or more times under the same riders, also with no problems. They were either built with Revo 1.8/1.5/1.8, Aerolite or Sapim Laser.

Ole.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    oh okay, sounds good, so if the price is right, I'll go with stans rims.

Now how much stronger is the ZTR 355 over the olympics?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    oh okay, sounds good, so if the price is right, I'll go with stans rims.

Now how much stronger is the ZTR 355 over the olympics?
    The 355 is stiffer, but less durable. It weighs the same as the Olympic, but has a lot larger x-section, meaning that the walls are thinner and less durable.

That said, I'm running the 296g version of the 355, and so far they're holding up great under my 80kg body. We'll see when I start racing on them...

Ole.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    there's a 296 gram version of the ztr 355 disc rim? or is that rim brake?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Disc brake only, the sidewalls would wear through in a second with rim brakes.

Ole.