ups and downs
    new XTR brakes.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Marathon Race Brake

Used to run Formula R1 brakes - great but in the wet conditions of many UK marathon events all you could hear all race was the grit catching between the pad and disk meaning that in a 100 mile event you will need 2 complete pad changes even if starting with a new set bedded in.

Got a Scott RC 29er with XX brakes but there seems to be a widespread problem with these needing bleeding. Seems that a shed load of them come with poorly set up brakes, and mine were ok but after sitting in my hall for a month while I consider what wheels and forks to upgrade to, both levers pull back to the bars with a squishing noise - they need bleeding without even leaving the house?? Not a great XCM race brake then.

Where to next? Hope XC2?

Any ideas?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I like Hope's. I have the original greenish hope races from a few years ago. I also have the Race x2's. I like both of them, what ever you choose make sure you use Sintered pads they may not stop as well in the wet but at least they last longer before you wear them out if its especially nast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Been running the Race X2's for almost two years w/o a bleed(except for the bleed when I got them). Perfect every ride.

mtbr member
    Formula R1's original organic pads wear out really fast on wet conditions. You can simply try another sintered pads: Kool Stop, Jagwire, Swissstop, ... Avoid organic pads on the wet.