mtbr member
    Jun 2011

M540 pedals with Ti spindles vs the others?

My phone is having search issues with the forum switch, so I appoligize in advance if it has been covered already.

My m505 pedals are old and have no mud shedding at all.

Looking to get light weight for the best price.

M540 are cheap and there is ti spindles out there for 50-70 bucks canadian. Anyone know the weight of this combo?

Xt pedals are only 61.00 on CRC right now. Thinking that would be the best route. But not sure if there is ti spindles out there for them.

Thanks and sorry if this has been beat to death.
    Last edited by machine4321; 02-24-2013 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ti spindles for 540 and xtr are only 38.00. Not sure where i got 70.00 from

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I thought this would be a decent combo.

The more i read xtr reviews the more I worry about the reliability.

I'd rather be riding
    Anyone found ti spindles for XT M780 pedals?

mtbr member
    I can only speak to the pd-M540 and Ward Ti spindle combo... My 540's were pretty worn, but I was used to them, and figured, what the heck. I bought the spindles and have been using them for the past several months. Once installed, they are indeed light, and you can feel a noticeable weight difference between a ti spindled pedal and the cr-mo spindled pedal. The bearings on my 540's prior to the swap were in good shape surprisingly, but its important that you make sure that you properly clean, re-grease, and tighten to spec... otherwise you will get pedals that make noise or fail to spin properly. I'd say given that were discussing this in the WW section, that the 540+Ti spindle combo is one of the best bang>$$ pedal combos... assuming you are fairly adept at working with small, greasy parts.

I think there is an article of you google it on how to disassemble and re-assemble the PD-M540, because that's how I learned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the post. The more I look into the more expensive pedals the more I wonder why?

Any chance you weighed the pedals after the Ti?

From what I have seen there is very little weight difference between the 540/xt and xtr.

mtbr member
    I didn't weigh them... don't have a scale. The Ward's spindles are a bit lighter/stronger than they typical eBay Ti spindles you will find. They also have a higher weight limit if that's a concern. According to Ward's site, they should come in about ~40 grams lighter, putting them right at or a tad below XTR weights. Here is the link for where I got mine:

Titanium Spindles Fits Shimano SPD PD M540 Pedals Made in Detroit USA | eBay

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thats a good savings. Crc has xtr pedsls for 115.00. Plus they still can be made lighter if needed. Just worrying about the reviews.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Thats a good savings. Crc has xtr pedsls for 115.00. Plus they still can be made lighter if needed. Just worrying about the reviews.
    Well the advantages I see to the Ti spindle+540 combo is: slightly lighter or equal weight, the spindles will likely outlast your knees, so they can be reused with new 540's down the road, possibly a more robust mountain biking pedal that's cheaper to replace and fix... and obviously the total cost.

Disadvantages are that you have to totally rebuild a brand new pedal, you CAN screw that up, XTR's will look better (if that's a thing to you), the engagement/disengagement might be better on the XTRs(? not too sure about that.. I'm grasping).

Ultimately I kind of need to replace my 540's since my cleats keep popping out of the left one... and I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of rebuilding another set of pedals. I may just buy some XT's and call it good.

If you want even lighter than both XTR and Ti 540's... AND cheaper, check out the Performance Forte Carve SPDs. They are basically Wellgo copies, but they are like $39.99 and lighter than both pedals mentioned. I personally am a Shimano fan, but those have been tempting me... and if they suck, Performance has an awesome return policy.