mtbr member

M2Racer Post Clamp

Has anyone used the M2 Racer Seat Post Collar?

http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?...roducts&id=14#

Do you recommend any alternatives?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Ti
    Has anyone used the M2 Racer Seat Post Collar?

http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?...roducts&id=14#

Do you recommend any alternatives?

Thanks!
    .........IMO its the champ of clamps!........Solid grip,.....LITE,........BLING,.............

.........Everything a collar should be and MORE!.....I guess you can tell I LOVE IT!..

..........................GOOD LUCK.............................................. ...PEACE.............

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Great !!

Used my on a Rocky Mountain Element Tsc FS no problems in 6 months ! doesn't fit on my new Orbea Scape, seat tube is only 30mm not the standard 32 mm clamp for a 27.2 seat post . Looks fragile but it's not , never came lose, no slipping, at 9 grams it's awesome !!

mtbr member

Thanks!

Looks like it's a goer!

Woz
    mtbr member
    I would second those opinions, definitely the best clamp in it's weight/price range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good experience

with the clamp.

the headset is lousy to the point of being criminal.

Woz
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    the headset is lousy to the point of being criminal.
    I assume you are talking about the old headset or the integrated one, because the new alloy standard one works great. Though the integrated ones don't work well on some bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Yeah, the older model

that looked like it came out of a candy dispenser. I don't know about the new ones...

I'm sticking with Cane Creek - not fancy but it works and works and works.

mtbr member

It's arrived

Looks quite flimsy, you can easily squeeze it together with your fingers and there's a small 3mm Ti bolt. But compared to my Ti bolt Salsa Liplock it saves around 21gms! It's been installed and ride for about 1.5 hours and it's held up fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

It's Broken!

JRA and heard a creak and seatpost slipped down a bit. The M2 Racer seatpost collar has cracked so now it's back to the Salsa Liplock until I track down a lighter one. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update, I almost pull my trigger on that one, lucky I found it out early...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

locked - time out
    I dont know what size you need, but heres one I ran across @ Nsahbar:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
    Now I better go check my R2

Jake Pay, Here..

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    21g saving over the salsa? Might I suggest one of Zoom's carbon-wrapped alloy ones? The 31.8 one is 21 grams total as memory serves (I was picking thru my clamps last week while building Orange Doom, and the Zoom one won over the Haro Clamp I have by beating the 23g with 21g).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member

Thanks for the suggestions

I'll check them out a bit further, other options I'm considering are, Hope bolt on and the Extralite seat collar.

The M2 Racer cracked through right on the center point in the cut out section, looks like a spot where a stress riser can originate from. I wonder if my use of a Moots layback post has anything to do with it, as the post flexes it may cause more leverage on the seat tube/seat collar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Why am I NOT surprised...

Go with Extralite and use the steel bolt. That, in my personal experience, is the best compromise between light weight and reliability.

By the way, earlier this year, there was a thread started by someone on the Passion forum regarding the biggest bonehead purchase.

My reply to that thread was my M2 Racer headset. It's basically the biggest pile of sh1t I've had the misfortune of using.

And, sure enough, just a month or two later, I get emails from the company about how it's defective. It's obvious those crooks are just are just covering their tails from a legal standpoint.

I emailed them and challenged them to examine my Sid World Cup; the carbon steerer tube had a groove from the p.o.s. headset. To date, no reply. Surprise, surprise.

M2 Racer is the biggest sham in cycling components. If anyone from that company reads this: instant karma is a b1tch.

mtbr member

I got off lightly...

at least the seatpost clamp failure didn't damage my frame or seatpost bar a few very minor scrapes form it slipping a bit.

How did you get on with the SID carbon steerer?

I'll take up your suggestion on the Extralite collar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Not sure if I understand your question, but

How did you get on with the SID carbon steerer?
    Basically, the headset wore a groove approximately 3mm wide and 1mm deep into the carbon steerer. I never would have known about it except the headset felt "rough" and the mechanic called me when he saw the damage.

I'm certain the install was correct. The mechanic who installed it (different from the one who saw the damage) had M2 Racer on the phone and was give specific instructions on proper install.

I pretty much got F#$cked. If I blame the shop, they'll point their fingers at M2Racer. M2Racer will, of course, blame the shop.

I'm just grateful that the issue was spotted before the tube broke on me during some 30+ downhill.

Of course, M2Racer never did respond to my emails about the issue.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Most component makers wouldn't cover damage to other components anyways. Its not like M2 is alone in that. Rockshox isn't going to replace your wheel when their dropouts fail in mid ride for example.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I did NOT expect

them to replace the entire fork.

I did expect them to come clean and admit that there are design flaws in their headset.

I also expected them to reimburse the cost of the headset.

Those are certainly reasonable expectations.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

I have been using thier raod clamp on a road bike for

4 months and that bike get's bike time riding time and I have had NO problems.
    Are you also aware that thier Headset was recalled and they are still honoring warranty on them, even though they closed down? yes the desgin has a flaw and they addmited to this with their recall.

I e-mailed them last week and I got a response.

Maybe trying leaving a voice-mail and callig them. they returned my call within a day or so and they are still supplying dealers with left over items.

M2Racer Recalls Bicycle Headsets for Fall Hazard

JULY 17, 2006 --

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BRAIN)—In cooperation with the CPSC, M2Racer of Burlingame, California, has voluntarily recalled about 150 M2Racer Conventional and Integrated Lite headsets. The headsets were sold at bicycle shops nationwide and through the M2Racer Web site from December 2004 through May 2006 for about $130.

The headsets mount to bicycle frames and fasten to the front fork assembly. A protruding component of the headset can contact the steering tube of the front fork assembly, score or scratch the steering tube, and weaken the structural integrity of the front fork. The front fork could break, causing the handlebars to separate from the bicycle during use and result in a crash.

M2Racer has contacted all headset retailers and received 21 reports of the headsets scoring the front fork assembly on consumers' bicycles. No fork failures or injuries have been reported.

The Conventional headset is constructed of an anodized black alloy housing, stainless steel, and polymers. The Integrated Lite headset is constructed of a black polymer housing and light weight alloys. The Integrated headset weighs 29 grams; the Conventional headset weighs 39 grams.

M2Racer will refund the purchase price of returned headsets. For additional information, contact M2Racer at (415) 738-8186 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, or by e-mail at headset@m2racer.com.</paragraph_body> </paragraph_body>
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member

Bummer

about the damage to the carbon steerer, you're lucky the headset didn't seize up on you or the steerer break.

If what Dirtboy has replied with, recall on the headsets, it'll interesting to see if they honor your headset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    JRA and heard a creak and seatpost slipped down a bit. The M2 Racer seatpost collar has cracked so now it's back to the Salsa Liplock until I track down a lighter one. Any suggestions?
    Did you use a torque wrench when installing the clamp?

Members who have read this thread: 0