mtbr member
    Jan 2004

LX and XT Hollowtech 2 wight difference?

Can anyone tell me where the 90g weight difference between the LX Hollowtech 2 crank and the XT Hollowtech 2 crank comes from? I suspect that the LX has two steel chainrings, in which case I can just replace the steel ring and have an XT-weight crankset.
    Is this so, or does the weight come from the arms?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    Can anyone tell me where the 90g weight difference between the LX Hollowtech 2 crank and the XT Hollowtech 2 crank comes from? I suspect that the LX has two steel chainrings, in which case I can just replace the steel ring and have an XT-weight crankset.
    No personal experience, but here is an older thread discussing the issue:

Disappointment with new M580 LX crankset

baker

On MTBR hiatus :(
    With the previous generations of cranks, XT crankarms used a 7000-series alloy versus the LX's 6000-series alloy, which may have resulted in some of the difference then, and may still be a factor in the HT2 cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think Shimano intentionally gave a too high weight figure for the new 2005 LX, so the XT could still be sold for almost twice price of the LX. On my scale the difference was less than 90 gramms: XT - 855 gr, LX - 925 gr. If you substitute the small ring (XT - alu, LX - steel) and the bolts on the LX, there is only 30 gr difference which means this the weight difference in the arms and spindle. The LX has a thick aluminum spindle while the XT is made of steel. The construction quality for the LX is very high. I think the LX represents a very good value, but FSA and TruVativ is also intruducing modells in this price category, so we have to wait a few month to see which company could make the best cheap integrated crankset...

-b

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    The construction quality for the LX is very high. I think the LX represents a very good value, but FSA and TruVativ is also intruducing modells in this price category, so we have to wait a few month to see which company could make the best cheap integrated crankset...
    Don't forget raceface! They have the evolve for 2005.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Don't forget raceface! They have the evolve for 2005.
    These will be in the 100 euro category! Cheap, durable and lighter than a 1992 XTR! I've been riding a 2005 LX for 4 months and I'm impressed - though of course I'll go back to my light setup for the racing season ;-)

-b

ballbuster

The '03 LX...

.... has an alu middle ring. I got one at Performance to replace my XT ring, and they wanted a lot more for the XT ring, eventhough it was the same Símano part #. I got the LX and it was alu.