mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Lots of help/advice needed!

Hey guys! first post here so go easy on me. I race XC for my high school, and my parents are only allowing me one bike. I need to make this bike lightweight without breaking the bank, it also has to be heavy trail ready.Currently:
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 5 Frame 17.5
    Spinergy Carbon Laced Rimset
    SRAM X0 Rear Derailleur ( 9 speed)
    SRAM X0 shifters
    SRAM X9 Front Derailleur (to be added, don't know what kind to get)
    RaceFace Next Carbon Handlebars
    Crank Brothers Candy 1 Pedals
    Crank Brother Joplin 4 Dropper
    SRAM XG 999 9 speed 10-34T Cassette
    Schwalbe Hans Dempf 2.35 tubeless in the back
    Forte Pisgah Tubed cause i tore the sidewall on my last tubeless tire.

I need help deciding on my front derailleur options, new seatpost,stem, and possibly saddle. Also looking for lighter tires. Possibly even a new crankset as the stock one is most likely super heavy. Just throw all upgrades at me. I was thinking of buying:

• Kore T-Rail Distance Saddle 2012
    • Kore Cubix Stem
    • Black - Blue, 80mm, 31.8mm, 1.1/8"
    • Kore T-Rail Carbon Seatpost 2012
    • After around 10 miles on my bike, I get lower back pains. I have a pretty strong core and i feel like the stem might be too far forward for comfort. I also would light to state I am notorious for going flat.

• Final notes: Im around 5'5 125 pounds. I broke my collarbone literally just last night so I apologize for grammatical errors (one handed typing). Basically what I want is a lightweight bike that wont break if i crash.Thanks in advance guys! I want this bike to hit 27ish pounds without breaking the bank. Im tight on cash.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    SRAM X9 9 Speed High Clamp Front Mech

This is the front derailleur I was thinking about.

mtbr member
    A really cost effective upgrade would be to not add the front mech or shifter and use a narrow wide chainring. Just go to a 1x9 drivetrain setup. That saves about a pound of weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    A really cost effective upgrade would be to not add the front mech or shifter and use a narrow wide chainring. Just go to a 1x9 drivetrain setup. That saves about a pound of weight.

Even for for cross country and trail riding? What chainring size should I get? Different crankset as a whole? I don't know if I'm strong enough to go 1x9

mtbr member
    Well, its easy to try out. Just practice on one of your courses using just your middle ring(most likely 32T) See if you can do it all without using the granny. It might be hard at first, but you might actually be faster. What crank is on it now?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Unfortunately, the stock one. I believe its a Sram S800 3x9. I want to consider selling my drivetrain, and with the cassette retailing for $350, the rear derailleur and shifters retailing for $250 each, what do you think I could sell it all for?

Thumper
    Welcome to the club MTB_Shawn. You did post in weight weenies ya know.

Plenty of guys on here know a thing or two about a thing or two. Many of us with different opinions so listen to everyone and study hard to make your dollars count for what is right for you. In the end it's all up to you what you decide to do.

I built up some light weight race bikes for my kids and friends with excellent used parts at great prices. $1000-$1500 complete with suspension and 3x9 weighing in 19-26lbs with them. Lightly used quality may be something for you to consider while upgrading.

You can still ride a very light bike very very hard, as you said you want light but be able to ride heavy trails. I have crashed my light weights hard with no breakage.

What is your budget? so we can help throw reasonable upgrades at ya.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I appreciate the reply. I went to the doctor today, and for a solid year I pretty much can't do any all mountain, heavy trail riding so I was considering just selling my bike as a whole :/
    Ive got options however. Ive got 4200 into this bike (approx), and I want to sell it for half. If I sell it for 2100, I can get a Cannondale F29 4 for $1900 (sponsorship) and that solves the problem for lightness and what not. Plus I'll be very happy with a bike as beautiful as that.

If I keep my bike, my budget is as follows:
    Whatever I can sell this Fox Vanilla rear shock for ($150)
    Whatever I can sell my dropper for ($150)
    Whatever I can sell my drivetrain for(half of retail is what I would like, $500)
    If I want, sell my spare Bontrager Race Lite TL wheel for like 200

Ive put together a full XT drivetrain 2x10 for $500 or so plus 80ish for installing at LBS. I dont know how much weight i will drop but I dont like the 3x9 all that much...

Thumper
    Bad deal with the doc but that's plenty of time to have something nice waiting for you when yer ready. Plus that's more time to add to that budget if ya can or want. 2x10 is a better setup for sure.

If I was in your shoes I would sell it and get something lighter and faster whether a sponsored F29 4 or a bike of choice built the best I could do. And may I suggest like the F29 4, a hardtail is the way to go for racing. You'll love it that much more.

Use this year learning and doing installs yourself. This will save you plenty of bucks along the way and is very rewarding.

Keep spinning those legs and good luck

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    Bad deal with the doc but that's plenty of time to have something nice waiting for you when yer ready. Plus that's more time to add to that budget if ya can or want. 2x10 is a better setup for sure.

If I was in your shoes I would sell it and get something lighter and faster whether a sponsored F29 4 or a bike of choice built the best I could do. And may I suggest like the F29 4, a hardtail is the way to go for racing. You'll love it that much more.

Use this year learning and doing installs yourself. This will save you plenty of bucks along the way and is very rewarding.

Keep spinning those legs and good luck

Okay, turns out selling it isnt an option so what should i do now? What upgrades should i do? I know i want to sell my dropper post, my spare rear shock, and my slare wheelset. Thatll give me 4/500$. If i upgrade my drivetrain, i could also sell whatever i upgrade. Looking for a complete list as you have experience with weight dropping. Thanks.

Thumper
    125g Bars: $27.98 with free ship
    97g Bars MTZOOM: Bout $130

151g Post 6Kcycles: $106 shipped
    150g Post Omni Racer: $130 shipped

15g Grips Extralite: $35.80 shipped
    22g Grips Poshbikes Nitrile: ? Cheap and cushy

Gotta run but those are pretty cheap super weight drops.