mtbr member
    Jul 2012

looking for a new flat bar

I've got a cheap aluminum flat bar on my bike right now that's starting to hurt my hands. I'm convinced it's not the angle but rather the vibration. I get the same thing riding on an all aluminum bike in the velodrome vs my carbon bike.

I've been looking at a few different bars to include the EC90 and K-Force but im not sure how much durability I need. I'm riding a full suspension trail bike. I not doing 10' drops. How light can I go on the bars without fear of them breaking? any recommendations?

:::EDIT:::
    im 170lbs

ups and downs
    How wide a bar do you want?

For a carbon bar on XC trails, the only real risk to the regular carbon bars {excluding the super ultra tweaky light Schmolke (90gms) or AX Lightness (70gms) flat bars} is from crashes where the bike tumbles and whacks the bars hard. At your weight on XC trails, you'll never break the Easton, Salsa, FSA or Enve carbon flat bars while just riding along, assuming your stem and brake/shift lever clamps have no burrs or edges that might be a stress riser for the bar.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    How wide a bar do you want?

For a carbon bar on XC trails, the only real risk to the regular carbon bars {excluding the super ultra tweaky light Schmolke (90gms) or AX Lightness (70gms) flat bars} is from crashes where the bike tumbles and whacks the bars hard. At your weight on XC trails, you'll never break the Easton, Salsa, FSA or Enve carbon flat bars while just riding along, assuming your stem and brake/shift lever clamps have no burrs or edges that might be a stress riser for the bar.
    I would prefer a narrower bar than the one I have which feels very long at 700mm. I haven't tried a 600, but I think it would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I really like my Syntace Duraflite carbon flat bar, but at 143g it's not exactly weight weenie. It is compatible with bar ends which for me is a big plus.

If you want to go really light without the crazy money for Schmolke or AX lightness, I have read some good reviews of the Mt Zoom bars and they are sub 100g for a 580mm flat bar. Price is around $100.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Salsa Pro moto, Answer, and Hylix come to mind. I have a 600mm Hylix bar, which can use bar ends, and have had zeo issues. Can be found for about $60 on eBay. I also have the Salsa, and I like the Hylix one better.

mtbr member
    I know a crazy deal on a carbon bar better than anything mentioned so far.

but I have to order one for myself first.

and that might take a week or two.

mtbr member

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    I really like my Syntace Duraflite carbon flat bar, but at 143g it's not exactly weight weenie. It is compatible with bar ends which for me is a big plus.

If you want to go really light without the crazy money for Schmolke or AX lightness, I have read some good reviews of the Mt Zoom bars and they are sub 100g for a 580mm flat bar. Price is around $100.
    X2 on the DuraFlite bar. I've run this bar for years with zero issues. I had the original 25.4 and then I bought a new 31.8 last spring to stiffen up the handling on my SS 29er and have been very pleased. Yes, there is about a 50 gram weight penalty, but I know I have a product that I can run bar ends on, is as stiff as possible and, as the name indicates, will be very durable. I do like what Syntace does, in general. For me the slight weight penalty is an acceptable compromise. On another note: New Ultimate has a 100 gm bar, I believe that is reasonably priced. I have a New Ultimate bar on my Wilier road bike and have not been impressed with it's stiffness, however.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    The NU is $140 for 99 grams but it's too short for the OP.

New Ultimate F580XC Mountain Handlebar

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Why not use a Ti bar? I think carbon bars for a mountain bike would make me ride more cautiously, even if I know I won't be able to break it unless in a crash (165lb). I use an Alu bar now, scouting eBay for a Ti replacement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I know a crazy deal on a carbon bar better than anything mentioned so far.
    How's that bar working out? It's cheap and light but narrow. I need a bar for a kids bike and this looks like just the thing.

mtbr member
    I haven't put mine on my bike and won't for at least another month but it's a good bar. I'd grab it while you can.