mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Looking for a 27.2x450mm carbon seatpost. Need suggestions.

From what I've found so far it's fairly easy to find carbon posts that are
    27.2x400. However, I can't seem to find a carbon post from a reputable manufacturer that is 27.2x450mm. Even 27.2x425mm would work.

I have found a number of carbon posts on ebay are 27.2x450mm but there is no information about them, no independent tests or reviews on this site for instance. I am guessing that these cheap Chinese carbon posts are not very compliant, and that strength/durability might be an issue.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Those eBay carbon bits are hit and miss. Some could be perfectly fine, while others could hurt you.

You mention 425mm would work, however I should ask how much post you need exposed of that, i.e. how much is above and below the clamp/binder? MCFK has a 420mm, and quality is excellent, however price is crazy, and I'm unsure how much actual post you need exposed:
    Mcfk - Seatpost

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    ...oh, and Schmolke will allow you to select a custom length, and even weight limit:
    Seatpost SL - Schmolke

...but again price is er, ah, a bit of an issue.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Syntace makes up to 480mm.

Syntace

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=phlegm;12998947]Those eBay carbon bits are hit and miss. Some could be perfectly fine, while others could hurt you.

You mention 425mm would work, however I should ask how much post you need exposed of that, i.e. how much is above and below the clamp/binder? MCFK has a 420mm, and quality is excellent, however price is crazy, and I'm unsure how much actual post you need exposed:
    [url=http://www.mcfk.de/en/products/sattelst%C3%BCtze

I need at least 280-300mm above the seat collar. The bike is a 20" 1993 Kona Explosif,
    I am 6'4".

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Those eBay carbon bits are hit and miss. Some could be perfectly fine, while others could hurt you.

Mcfk - Seatpost
    Yep, proceed with caution. I broke a frame due to too much exposed seatpost.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a couple titanium posts which have been pretty reliable. One's a Dean and the other is from Ti Cycles. Want to try a carbon post to compare the compliance to my titanium posts.