Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lite but rigid crank recomendations

I've 2 ideas but looking for something comperable. I like Tune smart foot & Extralite e-bones w. Anything out there close to weight & price?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you've got a BSA 68mm bottom bracket then its hard to go past the Specialized s-works cranks with E-13 (or similar) BB.

They are super stiff and light and probably cheaper than the Tunes / Extralite:

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    If you've got a BSA 68mm bottom bracket then its hard to go past the Specialized s-works cranks with E-13 (or similar) BB.

They are super stiff and light and probably cheaper than the Tunes / Extralite:

I'd like a set of those myself, are they still back ordered?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I got mine off the USA speci store about 4 months ago. They had 170mm and 175mm in stock. What does the store say?

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I got mine off the USA speci store about 4 months ago. They had 170mm and 175mm in stock. What does the store say?
    It says 180mm are available. I couldn't find any online retailers stocking these.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think they are pretty much only available through the speci USA online store and speci dealers. Its a shame they don't make them in greater quantity and more widely available.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I was considering Rotor 3D+ or maybe Cannondale Hollowgrams, but as you say its hard to go past the Specialized s-works cranks.

One thing that leaves something wanting is the lack of user reviews or long term durability reports. I'm 190lbs. and I drop and jump (small stuff, granted), I've not heard of any rider weight limit or intended usage. Perhaps that info resides in the Specialized forum.

To the OP, sorry if I hijacked. here's an interesting discussion that has some decent suggestions and info relevent to your inquery-
    Best Lightweight Crank?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just got the FSA k-force carbon cranks from CRC for... let me check... AU$236. BB30.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    I was considering Rotor 3D+ or maybe Cannondale Hollowgrams, but as you say its hard to go past the Specialized s-works cranks.

One thing that leaves something wanting is the lack of user reviews or long term durability reports. I'm 190lbs. and I drop and jump (small stuff, granted), I've not heard of any rider weight limit or intended usage. Perhaps that info resides in the Specialized forum.

To the OP, sorry if I hijacked. here's an interesting discussion that has some decent suggestions and info relevent to your inquery-
    Best Lightweight Crank?
    I've got 2 years on my S-Works cranks running on an XC/AM bike and they've been excellent - really stiff and no issues. There is no rider weight limit on these as they are OEM on Spec. S-Works bikes.
    Wish I could find someone to make me a 5mm Herth spacer so I could run these on another bike with a threaded 73mm BB.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I've got 2 years on my S-Works cranks running on an XC/AM bike and they've been excellent - really stiff and no issues. There is no rider weight limit on these as they are OEM on Spec. S-Works bikes.
    Wish I could find someone to make me a 5mm Herth spacer so I could run these on another bike with a threaded 73mm BB.
    Thanks xc71!

I did not realize that these could be run on a 73mm BB even with the Hirth spacer as I thought the S-works cranks were a 30mm spindle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Thanks xc71!

I did not realize that these could be run on a 73mm BB even with the Hirth spacer as I thought the S-works cranks were a 30mm spindle.
    They are a 30mm spindle, for 68mm BB you simply remove all spacers & run 30mm threaded cups from Hive, Rotor, Zipp, THM, etc. Wave washer on the non-drive - works awesome.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    They are a 30mm spindle, for 68mm BB you simply remove all spacers & run 30mm threaded cups from Hive, Rotor, Zipp, THM, etc. Wave washer on the non-drive - works awesome.
    Ya roger that, when you wrote threaded 73mm bb I falsely assumed you meant an English bb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 73mm bb so the s-works are out, has anyone had experience with KCNC, they have a crank set w/bb that suposedly 714g and that is with the double cobweb chainrings that look pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Race Face Next SL 2x10

Lite but rigid crank recomendations-rfnextsl2x10b.jpg

Lite but rigid crank recomendations-rfnextsl2x10a.jpg

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    I'm confused.. does this mean that you can run these (or ANY BB30) cranks in a standard threaded frame using the 30mm threaded cups?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dickt3030 View Post
    I'm confused.. does this mean that you can run these (or ANY BB30) cranks in a standard threaded frame using the 30mm threaded cups?
    Not sure about ANY BB30 cranks, but certainly the speci s-works - if (and only if) you have a 68mm BSA threaded bottom bracket.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Not sure about ANY BB30 cranks, but certainly the speci s-works - if (and only if) you have a 68mm BSA threaded bottom bracket.
    68mm BSA is pretty much the standard for threaded BB's, No?

So it sounds like any BB30 crank should work in these cups as long as it is 30mm spindle?

Also, Speci website says these will work on any 73mm BB30 shell, so why not on a 73mm threaded shell?

OP, sorry to hijack the thread, but I think this info could be extremely useful to all of us who have felt our high-end crank options limited by threaded frames.

To me, the Speci Sworks look like the best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    73 threaded BB is also common.
    What you are seeing on the Spec. website is a PF 73 BB ( bearing inside the frame). A 73 threaded BB has the bearings outside the frame, therefore the S-Works 90.7mm axle is to short by 5mm for a threaded 73 BB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    73 threaded BB is also common.
    What you are seeing on the Spec. website is a PF 73 BB ( bearing inside the frame). A 73 threaded BB has the bearings outside the frame, therefore the S-Works 90.7mm axle is to short by 5mm for a threaded 73 BB.
    That's why i've done this:

Lite but rigid crank recomendations-12085803.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damond View Post
    That's why i've done this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12085803.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	767048
    Where did you get that and how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking. I've been looking for that piece for almost 2 years now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wanted to use the s-works cranks on a BB92 frame so i took all the measuring and asked a lathe operator to make the piece. It costed around 50. i don't have it anymore, i sold it to a very well known bike parts manufacturer!

Anyway, if you have the cranks, just go to a good lathe operator and ask him to make it. The spacer's width is 5mm!

Hope i could help!

David

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I wanted to use the s-works cranks on a BB92 frame so i took all the measuring and asked a lathe operator to make the piece. It costed around 50. i don't have it anymore, i sold it to a very well known bike parts manufacturer!

Anyway, if you have the cranks, just go to a good lathe operator and ask him to make it. The spacer's width is 5mm!

Hope i could help!

David
    Thanks for the info David. After I got mine to work on a 68mm BB, I took the cranks to two fabricators in hopes of getting this to work on my 73mm BB bike. The first fabricator wouldn't even touch the job & the 2nd said it could take up to a full day on a CNC machine to get the spacer perfect ( which it has to be) @ $275.00 per hour.

RIDE...

Re: Lite but rigid crank recomendations

I wanted to use the s-works cranks on a BB92 frame so i took all the measuring and asked a lathe operator to make the piece. It costed around 50€. i don't have it anymore, i sold it to a very well known bike parts manufacturer!

Hope i could help!

David
    Ep??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bike rider
    The S-Works crank is a licensed copy of the Lightning crank. The S-Works is cheaper but the Lightning is available with axles and bottom brackets for all BB shell types and in 3 levels of weight/strength/stiffness. They have many different spiders that also fit the S-Works including what I believe is the only double ring spider that accepts a bashguard. I've had the HD version on my FR/AM bike for 2 years. Many enduro races, resort runs, DJ sessions, and 1 foot landings later they feel like new.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the info David. After I got mine to work on a 68mm BB, I took the cranks to two fabricators in hopes of getting this to work on my 73mm BB bike. The first fabricator wouldn't even touch the job & the 2nd said it could take up to a full day on a CNC machine to get the spacer perfect ( which it has to be) @ $275.00 per hour.

That's way too expensive! This guy made it by hand on the lathe and it fitted perfectly! I wound not mind of asking him to make another one and send to you but i don't have the cranks anymore.

yes MarcoL, Mattias has got it now!

Cheers

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast