Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lite but rigid crank recomendations

5K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  xc71 
#1 ·
I've 2 ideas but looking for something comperable. I like Tune smart foot & Extralite e-bones w. Anything out there close to weight & price?

#7 ·
I was considering Rotor 3D+ or maybe Cannondale Hollowgrams, but as you say its hard to go past the Specialized s-works cranks.

One thing that leaves something wanting is the lack of user reviews or long term durability reports. I'm 190lbs. and I drop and jump (small stuff, granted), I've not heard of any rider weight limit or intended usage. Perhaps that info resides in the Specialized forum.

To the OP, sorry if I hijacked. here's an interesting discussion that has some decent suggestions and info relevent to your inquery-
http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/best-lightweight-crank-742522.html

#9 ·
I've got 2 years on my S-Works cranks running on an XC/AM bike and they've been excellent - really stiff and no issues. There is no rider weight limit on these as they are OEM on Spec. S-Works bikes.
Wish I could find someone to make me a 5mm Herth spacer so I could run these on another bike with a threaded 73mm BB.

#21 ·
I wanted to use the s-works cranks on a BB92 frame so i took all the measuring and asked a lathe operator to make the piece. It costed around 50€. i don't have it anymore, i sold it to a very well known bike parts manufacturer!

Anyway, if you have the cranks, just go to a good lathe operator and ask him to make it. The spacer's width is 5mm!

Hope i could help!

David

#22 ·
Thanks for the info David. After I got mine to work on a 68mm BB, I took the cranks to two fabricators in hopes of getting this to work on my 73mm BB bike. The first fabricator wouldn't even touch the job & the 2nd said it could take up to a full day on a CNC machine to get the spacer perfect ( which it has to be) @ $275.00 per hour.

#24 ·
The S-Works crank is a licensed copy of the Lightning crank. The S-Works is cheaper but the Lightning is available with axles and bottom brackets for all BB shell types and in 3 levels of weight/strength/stiffness. They have many different spiders that also fit the S-Works including what I believe is the only double ring spider that accepts a bashguard. I've had the HD version on my FR/AM bike for 2 years. Many enduro races, resort runs, DJ sessions, and 1 foot landings later they feel like new.

#33 ·
Ok, before I try to hijack this thread (sorry!) I'll say that I've been riding the S-works cranks on my Niner Jet 9 RDO, which has PF30, for the past 6 months with no issues, and I absolutely love them. They're 480g including cranks, crank boots, Lightning reversible spider, and 22+32 Extralight chainrings. FYI, the granny chainring bolts hit my frame when the spider is in the double configuration, so I'm running just the 32 in the high double position currently, with BBG superlight on the outside. I'll hopefully be flipping the spider over to the triple side this weekend, and we'll see if everything fits.

Now, I just picked up a road bike frame with a BB86, and I desperately want to use the less expensive S-works cranks (road or mtb version is fine with me) so I don't have to shell out the money for Lightnings. From what I'm hearing in this thread there's a remote possibility that the s-works mtb cranks might just be long enough, assuming I can get some 30mm ID bearings that will fit into the BB86 cups. If BB86 is 86.5mm wide and s-works mtb cranks have 90.7mm length spindes, does it follow that they might just fit?

Rotor makes their UBB30 cranks that fit BB86 frames, so they must have 30mm ID/~40mm OD bearings they're using. I'll be calling Lighting later today to try to figure out if their BB86-compatible cranks have 24 or 30mm spindles. They mention that the bearings are provided, so I'm guessing they do this because they're 30mm ID and normal BB86 bearings are only 24mm ID. I don't have the frame in my possession just yet, so I can't size up the BB with my cranks yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.