mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Lightweight tires!! Oh the choices!!!

I have spent hours online and on this forum researching tires and I think I am just going in circles now. I am a weekend rider, not a racer, 200lbs and ride a Superfly hardtail. I live in the Mid Atlantic and ride mostly hardpack with a little mud/loose dirt thrown in here and there. Every popular LIGHT tire I look at (Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron, etc) I feel is only seconds away from blowing a sidewall. I came across the Bontrager 29-1 Team Issue that's only 485g but I am concerned as well with traction/durability. Any thoughts on a 500gram XC option that isn't so fragile you need to walk the bike down the trail???

Ahhh the pain....
    Assuming you're on a 29r, any reasonably priced, reasonably tough tire is going to be over 650 grams. Conti X-kings w protection, Geax Saguaros, etc....
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Did you check out Schwalbe tires with the Snakeskin sidewall? They seem to be a little burlier. You can get them in Double Defense for extra tread protection too.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I run RoRo snakeskins and they deal with the flint here very well (and it is razor sharp) the tread area still takes the odd cut beyond what the sealant can seal, the Nobby Nics is a thicker carcass and in snakeskin versions has proved immortal on my nasty trails.

Light tyres are all going to be thinner and prone to puncture

mtbr member
    Racing ralphs have been tough enough for me here in the Southern Utah Desert. Lots of rocks and no punctures yet...

I'd rather be riding
    Quote Originally Posted by imtheant View Post
    I have spent hours online and on this forum researching tires and I think I am just going in circles now. I am a weekend rider, not a racer, 200lbs and ride a Superfly hardtail. I live in the Mid Atlantic and ride mostly hardpack with a little mud/loose dirt thrown in here and there. Every popular LIGHT tire I look at (Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron, etc) I feel is only seconds away from blowing a sidewall. I came across the Bontrager 29-1 Team Issue that's only 485g but I am concerned as well with traction/durability. Any thoughts on a 500gram XC option that isn't so fragile you need to walk the bike down the trail???

I too live in the mid atlantic and ride a superfly. I also weight 180lbs and race. I dig the 29-1 bonty but I have destroyed two of the non TLR ones this summer. Just installed a set of the TLR- reinforced sidewall ones. They're not uber light at 690g but they are wonderfully indestructible and I can run pressures as low as 20 with no squirm.

Illuminati
    hopefully in time with new technology tyres companies will be able to make robust lightweight (sub 500g) tyres. certainly standard rocket rons that I use for lightweight XC duty arent that robust & would easily rip if I ploughed through the rocks with the same recklass abandon that I do on snakeskin hans dampfs which are 1/2lb heavier per tyre.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You can have light and you can have tuff. It will
    be hard to get both.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    be hard to get both.
    This is soo true!

I run Hutchinson Black Mamba on my 29er it has been a great fast tire! No flats or punctures yet and have had them for about 5 months now(I live in Florida though). The sidewalls seem much beefier than on the Conti race kings i had before. You just have to ride less sloppy and more careful with race tires and as with any tire there are pros and cons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Don't bother with the Specialized "S-Works" versions of their tires. But, do consider the "Control" version. Same tires, but control has the sidewall protection. Only a slight weight gain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My snake skin ralphs have been good but i do find the alot stiffer at the same psi as non protected tires. I plan on some ro ro or ra ra non snake skin for next seasons racing. Been very happy with the traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Great advice guys. Thanks. I am hoping to maybe pick up a slightly used set of a lightweight RORO or RARA or similar to see how they hold up.

mtbr member
    The S-Works tires are fine..or at least have been for me as a front tire. I run the control casing in the rear.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    be hard to get both.
    Sign on mechanic's wall:

We do 3 kinds of work:
    -Good
    -Fast
    -Cheap
    Pick two.