Mulleticious

New question here. Lightweight brakes: mid-price / serviceable ?

Looking for new brakes on my SS 29er rigid. I don't need incredible power as it's just my local bike that doesn't see steep trails. But they must be easy to bleed and service, durable, and reasonably light. Not looking to spend too much either... any recommendations?
    Last edited by BigwheelsRbest; 05-06-2013 at 07:22 AM.

mtbr member

Was trying to figure out how to answer this, but it's tough to know how light you want to go, and what you consider mid-priced.

Instead, it would help to know what you are using now, and what you like & dislike about them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    can't beat V'brake for weight and low price!

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Was trying to figure out how to answer this, but it's tough to know how light you want to go, and what you consider mid-priced.

Instead, it would help to know what you are using now, and what you like & dislike about them.
    Using the older XT's at the moment. I have XTR on my AM bike but don't want to spend that much for my local bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Using the older XT's at the moment. I have XTR on my AM bike but don't want to spend that much for my local bike
    Hygia SLP or Usagi. Light, nice looking, work well, pretty cheap. The Usagi was on sale at the Hygia website for $120 plus $35 shipping as of last week.

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    i have the hygia, they suck, they are serviceable. I sugest shimano, which are serviceable but there's no need for it.

mtbr member
    Thx for the details. I was about to suggest the XTs as they are very serviceable and reliable, and while not inexpensive they're cheaper than XTR. I'm not so sure about the light bit though - depends on your criteria.

It's sort of like that old joke: "you can have good, fast, or cheap - pick 2".

In this case, I think you can find 3 of "easy to bleed and service, durable, and reasonably light. Not looking to spend too much either".

Mulleticious
    Thx for the details. I was about to suggest the XTs as they are very serviceable and reliable, and while not inexpensive they're cheaper than XTR. I'm not so sure about the light bit though - depends on your criteria.

It's sort of like that old joke: "you can have good, fast, or cheap - pick 2".

In this case, I think you can find 3 of "easy to bleed and service, durable, and reasonably light. Not looking to spend too much either".
    But the XT's are heavy, and the old ones I have don't work too well anymore. So which brake would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Here's what I can say based on the ones I've used:

XX WC brakes are among the lightest I've used, but found them finicky, and didn't like bleeding with DOT fluid. Crazy expensive.

Had Magura Marta SLs, which were a bit funky to center, but easy to bleed, and used mineral oil. I would probably go for their MT8 at this point for lightness, but crazy expensive.

I'm currently running XTRs, which have been the easiest to adjust and bleed so far, although heavier than the first 2, but a bit cheaper. (Jenson sells an "OEM" kit that's a bit cheaper.)

If the XTs are too heavy for you, then you may not be able to meet your budget limitation.

mtbr member
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

Mulleticious
    When I last checked, Formula R1 were about as heavy as XT...

Trail Ninja
    Formula R1s brakes weigh about 270g. That includes lever, 850mm hose, caliper, *160mm rotor*, hardware. XT lever, caliper and hose, with finned pads weighs over 300g. Add hardware and rotor that weighs about 125g...

150g per side difference per side ain't much to some people, I know.

Edit: added pics.

mtbr member

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Formula R1s brakes weigh about 270g. That includes lever, 850mm hose, caliper, *160mm rotor*, hardware. XT lever, caliper and hose, with finned pads weighs over 300g. Add hardware and rotor that weighs about 125g...

150g per side difference per side ain't much to some people, I know.
    Wow - that is useful. My research of articles on the web had made me believe there wasn't much in it - but you provide proof that there is.

I agree, a total of 300g difference is well worth being aware of. Thanks. Repped!

Mulleticious
    I may be able to get a pair of Formula R0 from a guy who doesn't want them - expensive though...

Are they any heavier than the R1's??

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I may be able to get a pair of Formula R0 from a guy who doesn't want them - expensive though...

Are they any heavier than the R1's??
    Most definitely. The R1 and R1 Race are the lightest ones they make. Their RX line weighs roughly the same as the new XT brakes. I don't remember off hand but think the RO's are about the same as the RX.

Trail Ninja
    I always see BB7s on rigid SS 29ers. They're about 350g, I think, and are relatively inexpensive. Their power scales with nicer cable and lever setups.

Edit: Nm, they're more like over 425g considering all the parts, like rotor, hardware, cable and housing and levers, according to this post: The definitive Avid BB7 weight thread...

Mulleticious
    I always see BB7s on rigid SS 29ers. They're about 350g, I think, and are relatively inexpensive. Their power scales with nicer cable and lever setups.

Edit: Nm, they're more like over 425g considering all the parts, like rotor, hardware, cable and housing and levers, according to this post: The definitive Avid BB7 weight thread...
    So is that 2x 425g = 850g for a full set, all inclusive? That's better than my old XT set I'm using now which is sitting at 946g all in (160 rotors)

Trail Ninja
    I was just estimating. That guy's post goes pretty in-depth.

155 caliper
    24 pads + spring
    21 cps hardware for 160 post mount, or more if you have some other setup

88 per lever
    100 per 160mm rotor
    14 per set of 6 rotor bolts

86 cable + housing for rear approx
    43 cable + housing for front approx

933g for a full BB7 brake setup with 160 rotors, if you have 160mm post mounts on your fork and frame.

Never knew popular brakes like new XTs and BB7s were so heavy...

Mulleticious
    I was just estimating. That guy's post goes pretty in-depth.

155 caliper
    24 pads + spring
    21 cps hardware for 160 post mount, or more if you have some other setup

88 per lever
    100 per 160mm rotor
    14 per set of 6 rotor bolts

86 cable + housing for rear approx
    43 cable + housing for front approx

933g for a full BB7 brake setup with 160 rotors, if you have 160mm post mounts on your fork and frame.

Never knew popular brakes like new XTs and BB7s were so heavy...
    Thanks for doing the math for me Varaxis!

Yeah that's quite some chunk - almost a kilo

mtbr member
    While i did buy a set of Formula Rx/R1 brakes for price to weight ratio (RX caliper and R1 lever), i can't remember exactly what the weight was. I will say, that brakes are the one place that i feel a quality product is more important than price or weight. Find one that you can depend on during a long steep decent. Then, find the lightest version of it. Enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    What did you wind up getting?

Mulleticious
    What did you wind up getting?
    I am still with my old XTs. Spent so much money on the rest of the bike I'm saving up again and still haven't decided on these brakes...