MTB NEWB!!!
    Jun 2008

Lightweight 70mm Stem options

I'm looking at changing my '12 Trek Fuel EX 90mm 7* stem to something in the 70mm variety. I'd perfer to have a similar rise, but willing to take a straight stem. I'm looking for something at least as strong as my OEM Bontrager RL stem but I'd like to shed a few grams if possible.

Strength is priority, but equally important is weight. Must be carbon bar compatible, and of the 31.8mm variety.

What can you guys think of that would meet my specs?

MTB NEWB!!!
    Jun 2008
    *Could this please be moved to the All-Mountain forum? Somehow I mistakenly placed it here.*

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Have a look at the Ritchye 70mm WCS stem. Lightweight and strong with the 4 screw front pate.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Point 1 Racing split second stem. Love mine. 145g with steel bolts, 130 something with ti. But, remember that the top cap is integrated so you can subtract the weight of the top cap. If you want to spend a little more look at the Rotor S3X. I called Rotor USA and the guy I spoke with told me he uses his on his 150mm AM bike. The Rotor stem is about 90g and can be had from $150-180 new.
    Last edited by TheRedMantra; 06-08-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    Herro prease

ups and downs
    Race Face Turbine available in 60, 70 and 90. The 90mm stem is 135gms.

Race Face 2012

If you could live with 80mm, FSA OS-99 CSI stem is 122gms in 110mm length, so down around 105gms in 80mm

OS-99 CSI Stem
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

MTB NEWB!!!
    Jun 2008
    Thank you all for your input thus far! I'm going to read up on each of these and any others that may pop into the discussion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just put an Answer Rove XC 70mm stem on and it is really nice. I think it is the same as their AM stem except for some additional machining, but it has plenty of stiffness for a light stem.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I just put an Answer Rove XC 70mm stem on and it is really nice. I think it is the same as their AM stem except for some additional machining, but it has plenty of stiffness for a light stem.
    Not bad, spec'd at 128gms for 70mm

ROVE XC | Answer Products
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    could try a Loaded Stem... not bad weights they have XC stems right around the 100gram and AM/Free right around 130grams (85mm length so the 70 is going to be a tad less)
    link to the "trail-Free ride" stem
    Loaded USA :: Loaded Precision Components :: Products
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

MTB NEWB!!!
    Jun 2008
    All very good suggestions!!

One thing I failed to mention, and realize I should have is the fact I'm running a 711mm width bar. In some of the reading I've done thus far, It seems some stems are fine for the typical ~660mm width, but some users report stems feeling flexy when used with 'wide' bars.

Before I posted this, I was planning on going with the Easton Haven stem so I'm using that as a benchmark.

Just thought I'd be complete even if it's after the fact

Thanks for the continued input! I'm looking at each and every one of these suggestions so please, keep them coming!