Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamisVermont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41

    Lightest XC Tubes?

    I have been running Panaracer Greenlite tubes lately but the Maxxis Flyweight tubes look tempting. The Greenlite tubes are a claimed 90g and the Flyweight a claimed 76g. Shaving grams is always fun but flats are a concern.

    I was just hoping a fellow weight weenie could comment on the weight of the tubes, the durability, and risk of flats. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    549
    in my experience, the flyweights were just not worth it. way too many flats.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamisVermont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41
    Yea I read some of the reviews, most of the ones for the Flyweights were ancient, but that seemed to be the general opinion.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    mines are MUCH lighter...

    i am currently using prototype inner tubes that are MUCH lighter and MUCH,MUCH more resistant to pinchflats than any competition out there. sorry - no pics and no further info but i'm sure these will be the BOMB once ready for the masses

    regular ultralight innertubes suck as you get way too many flats with them.

  5. #5
    More carbon fiber please!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    684
    Had great results with Flyweights. Also Lightweights for a bit of a weight penalty.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Some Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,482
    I've been racing and training with Maxxis Flyweight tubes (~90-95gr) for a few years, with very few punctures. Your milage may vary, but they seem to work for me at 68kg and 30psi+/- a few.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

  7. #7
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,559
    I too ride flyweights. No problems so far. I run about 28 to 30 psi in my Furious Freds and Racing Ralphs on the new Sun Ringle Equalizer 21 rims w/ 3M strapping tape.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamisVermont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41
    Hmmm well thanks for the replies, maybe next time I change tired or flat, I try the Flyweights.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    26

    Wait a minute!

    This is the weight weenies forum, right?

    I'm a firm believer in tubes over tubeless, and to answer this post, I've tried both the flyweights from Maxxis and lunar lights from Performance...no trouble what so ever with either. 90-95 g's.

    But back to the tubeless thing. I made the mistake of starting a thread on tubed vs. tubeless and got ripped on this forum. It's nice to see that there are others out there that have done the math like myself and discovered that for all intents and purposes, you can't build a tubeless wheel that's lighter than a tubed wheel (or more reliable for that matter).

    Where were you guys when I needed you?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i am currently using prototype inner tubes that are MUCH lighter and MUCH,MUCH more resistant to pinchflats than any competition out there. sorry - no pics and no further info but i'm sure these will be the BOMB once ready for the masses

    regular ultralight innertubes suck as you get way too many flats with them.
    you better let us know when these are available...light tubes resistant to pinch flats are like the holy grail

  11. #11
    PurpleIsFasterThanRed!
    Reputation: vi3dr0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    81
    Maxxis Flyweight, Continental Supersonic, Schwalbe xxLight, Bontrager XXX Light - tried them and all are equally good

    Getting flats is the matter of tires. I'm training, racing and trailing with Nobby Nic 2.1 since 2 years. No problems at all, i've got no puncture on this tires this year. Nah, i don't ride in the park only - last year was about 10k km (not miles, sorry :P)

    Do you really believe that thicker rubber in tube could prevent puncture? What's really the difference between 1mm and 0.6mm rubber? And - many forget it - ultralight tubes are made of better quality rubber.

    And after all - nino! - are you telling me to stop buying new ultralight spare tubes one after another "just in case - they might get used sometime"?

    Cheers
    vi3dr0
    Aluminium Carbon / Damping Composite

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by vi3dr0
    Do you really believe that thicker rubber in tube could prevent puncture? What's really the difference between 1mm and 0.6mm rubber?
    Actually...YES! Bontrager makes some super thick road tubes for winter training that have definitely prevented a few flats.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2times's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    335

    Q. for Maxxis Flyweight users ?????

    What is the purpose of the rim strip that comes with that tube? I just got a couple of those tubes and I'm not sure when I am supposed to the strip, the box does'nt really say anything.

  14. #14
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by 2times
    What is the purpose of the rim strip that comes with that tube? I just got a couple of those tubes and I'm not sure when I am supposed to the strip, the box does'nt really say anything.
    I skipped those, and threw it into my spare parts bin. Maxxis claims they are a must to increase reliability of their tubes. I have been running on all season on a pair of flyweights with just 3M strapping tape as rim tape.

  15. #15
    Weekend Warrior
    Reputation: daleksic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,078
    You wanna run any tube and prevent punch flats?

    I accidentally stumbled over Baby Powder and it is awesome. I rub the tube all over with it and I have not have any pinchflats so far. The Tube gets "slippery" inside so it has less friction so as the tire/tube deforms when you ride it can slip and slide. I call it the tire KY. It makes tire installation easier as the rubber just slides over the metal. Baby Powder is definitely a good addition to my tool set.

  16. #16
    Legend
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,287
    I know it's not super light, but I rock the Conti Light tubes (122-127g on my scale for the 6 I have). They're not the lightest, but they are well made, and have reinforced valve stems.

    I have had Kenda light tubes (120-130g tubes) and I had 3 randomly separate at the stitch where they close the tube together.

    As for a light tube being less likely to pinch flat than another light tube, that's a pretty dumb statement unless they're made of some unobtainable material that magically doesn't split when you smash it between a rock and a steel rim.

  17. #17
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Horst Linked
    But back to the tubeless thing. I made the mistake of starting a thread on tubed vs. tubeless and got ripped on this forum. It's nice to see that there are others out there that have done the math like myself and discovered that for all intents and purposes, you can't build a tubeless wheel that's lighter than a tubed wheel (or more reliable for that matter).

    Where were you guys when I needed you?
    HL, You are wrong. If you use Stans Rims for your wheelbuild, there's weight savings using tubeless over tubes.

    valve stem=5g, yellow tape = 5g, sealant= 56g. 66g complete. Sorry to dissapoint, you and your skimpy tubes.
    beaver hunt

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    unobtainium...

    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    As for a light tube being less likely to pinch flat than another light tube, that's a pretty dumb statement unless they're made of some unobtainable material that magically doesn't split when you smash it between a rock and a steel rim.
    the tubes i am testing indeed are out of a expensive material. so far we didn't succeed in getting pinchflats but got dents in our rims instead.

    we really tried our best with under inflated tires banging over the sidewalk...the inner tube survived, the rims sosolala

    there's currently 10 guys using them, mostly racers.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    unobtanium!? That's a plastic material. In fact my Oakley Splice sunglasses are made of unobtanium - how can an inner tube be made from a stiff plastic resin??

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamisVermont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    the tubes i am testing indeed are out of a expensive material. so far we didn't succeed in getting pinchflats but got dents in our rims instead.

    we really tried our best with under inflated tires banging over the sidewalk...the inner tube survived, the rims sosolala

    there's currently 10 guys using them, mostly racers.
    So when are these tubes you speak of going to be available?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    unobtanium!? That's a plastic material. In fact my Oakley Splice sunglasses are made of unobtanium - how can an inner tube be made from a stiff plastic resin??
    Well, no, it isn't actually plastic. It's not actually a material but a way to call any expensive and very rare material(unobtainable+ -ium). So that could be pretty much everything from e.g. special titanium alloy to plastic or anything else.

    EDIT: Apparently Oakley has trademarked a rubber compund called Unobtanium but i doubt nino's tubes are made of same material .

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    549
    haha

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.