Not a Barry supporter.

Lightest shifter/deraillers/brakes?

So I'm building up a new ride soon and I want it to be as light as possible. I have XT shifters and deraillers but how much lighter are XTR? Are they really worth double the cost of XT? How about the SRAM stuff? The only SRAM part I have now is a sparling new cassette. I've heard SRAM shifts a little smoother and is lighter. True?

I also want to replace my Hayes hydros with lighter ones. How about the Hope Mini's? Are they the lightest out there? And do they actually work? I've read some good reviews on them. I won't be building my bike up for another 2 months probably so there's plenty of time for me to hash/rehash and rehash again on my decisions.

Any help on these issues would be appreciated.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    So I'm building up a new ride soon and I want it to be as light as possible. I have XT shifters and deraillers but how much lighter are XTR? Are they really worth double the cost of XT? How about the SRAM stuff? The only SRAM part I have now is a sparling new cassette. I've heard SRAM shifts a little smoother and is lighter. True?

I also want to replace my Hayes hydros with lighter ones. How about the Hope Mini's? Are they the lightest out there? And do they actually work? I've read some good reviews on them. I won't be building my bike up for another 2 months probably so there's plenty of time for me to hash/rehash and rehash again on my decisions.

Any help on these issues would be appreciated.
    Paul thumbies and an XTR rd is probably the lightest shifting set-up money can buy. I don't know how they work but I'm dying to try them. You could probably get the pods and shifters for about $85 and continue to use your XT rd until something happens to it.

banned

Sachs Quartz shifters..

Quote Originally Posted by NAHTNOJ
    Paul thumbies and an XTR rd is probably the lightest shifting set-up money can buy. I don't know how they work but I'm dying to try them. You could probably get the pods and shifters for about $85 and continue to use your XT rd until something happens to it.
    Sachs Quartz shifters are lightest: 120g
    you can get them cheap on Ebay. i just got some NEW for 10 euro.

XTR are 3g heavier than XT and definitely NOT worth the money. that's why i used the XT on my bike all the time. perfect shifting as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a set of dura ace bar end shifters mounted to paul thumbies if you wanna try 'em. I'm switching to x.o. You can test them and tell us what you think. I've only used them on the road otherwise I'd tell you more. It's all new, so there won't be any equipment failures to deal with. BTW they're 9 spd.

Andy

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

No Complaints on the Paul's

Got 'em on the dually.

Shifting works great, and the fircition option is a great bail out if anything goes wrong. These do work better than any of the thumbies I used way back. They work good, they're light, and are about as much as a set of XT's. Works for me.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by NAHTNOJ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member

more Sachs

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    Sachs Quartz shifters are lightest: 120g
    you can get them cheap on Ebay. i just got some NEW for 10 euro.

XTR are 3g heavier than XT and definitely NOT worth the money. that's why i used the XT on my bike all the time. perfect shifting as well.
    Second the Quartz shifters: lightest and work very nicely. If you can find a Sachs Quartz rear der it works great, it is 207 and you can bring it to 198 with a few bits of aluminum ... actually, forget it: if you find one let me know and I'll buy it

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...5681#post75681

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

If the other guy doesn't want those D/A shifters, I could use them...

Quote Originally Posted by new kelly
    I have a set of dura ace bar end shifters mounted to paul thumbies if you wanna try 'em. I'm switching to x.o. You can test them and tell us what you think. I've only used them on the road otherwise I'd tell you more. It's all new, so there won't be any equipment failures to deal with. BTW they're 9 spd.

Andy
    I am looking for a set of bar end D/A 9 spd shifters for my road/Tri bike - if you have a pair, I'd like to purchase or trade for them. Please email me directly at larryjklassen@NOSPAMhotmail.com - remove the NOSPAM, of course. Thanks.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I also want to replace my Hayes hydros with lighter ones. How about the Hope Mini's? Are they the lightest out there? And do they actually work? I've read some good reviews on them.
    Hope Mono Minis are not exceptionally light. I had a set and they weighed in at 770g/set (front = 270g + 118g [160mm rotor]; rear = 282g + 100g [140mm rotor]), uncut, fully bled. My Magura Marta SLs are 706g/set with 160mm front/rear rotors. Lightest discs I've owned were the discontinued Formula B4 SLs at 630g/set.

I used the Monos for a couple months and their performance (power and modulation) was adequate. But, the noise! No matter if it was dry or wet, they'd squeal like banshees! I hate noise, so I sold them and went with a set of Magura Marta SLs...night and day difference!

First, the Marta SLs have far more power than the Monos. Also, the Martas modulate incredibly well, where as, I found the Monos to be very dead or wooden feeling. Ya, sure they stopped, but they didn't provide any rider feedback. The Martas (and Formula B4s) have some of the best modulation of any brakes I've owned.

Furthermore, the Martas are quiet, easy to install, easy to bleed and are backed by some of the best customer service in the Biz. I can't say I've had the same luck with Hope USA, but others have. The Monos are equally easy to install and bleed.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Second the Quartz shifters: lightest and work very nicely. If you can find a Sachs Quartz rear der it works great, it is 207 and you can bring it to 198 with a few bits of aluminum ... actually, forget it: if you find one let me know and I'll buy it

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...5681#post75681
    These Quartz shifters you`re talking about - are they grip or trigger? Thanks.

banned

Grip...

Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    These Quartz shifters you`re talking about - are they grip or trigger? Thanks.
    as you can see they are grippers. weigh 146g incl. shift cables installed (120g w/o cables). as an example i show a individual Jagwire shiftcable below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned

no-i prefer triggers..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    Have you ridden with those? Nashbar or Supergo (forget which) are blowing out Ritchey 2X9 shifters (relabeled Sachs). I am curious if they are actually usable (when compared to triggers).
    they will go on my "stupid-light" build (6.6 kilo/ 14.5 lbs) but i won't ride them during the year as i really prefer Shimanos triggers over anything. with Grip-shifters shifting and braking at the same time isn't done as good as with regular, old-style Shimano-triggers. and these old grip-shifters lack the shifting precision of Shimano by a long margin...only latest generation SRAM stuff is good.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

I've ridden with sachs twisters...

and in fact, they're the only twist shift units I like. Can't stand SRAM ones. Never could. Which is why I hate SRAM. They bought out Sachs and then dumped all of Sachs's existing products except the chains.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread