mtbr member
    Mar 2005

lightest brakepad holders??

I'm looking for the lightest brakepad holders. I have tuned some cheap ones but they came out heavier then the Avid holders. Sadly the Avid holders don't fit good with the FRM titanium bolts. Are there other light holders?

banned

self made or Extralite...

my lightest MTB padholders are some tuned ones i did with a dremel tool. don't look at the finish...that was a 5 minute job. the new Extralite padholders are sweet and just 1 g heavier.

much lighter than both would be my tuned Jagwire carbon roadshoes i used on the Vuelta Magnesium V-brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SUBLIM8er
    XTRs I found to slightly lighter then Avids. I dislike the Avids because I find them too tight for easy pad changes. I'm not sure but Nino appears to have tuned XTRs in the above pic. I wonder if there is any room for tuning on the new EXtralite pads.....
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    I have to do some final sanding but the Jagwires are slightly lighter. I can't imagine any more than two grams coming off probably less.

It doesn't seem worth it to use the jags since the surface is so much smaller the the EL's and the pads need to be glued in or something to keep them from falling out when rolling backwards a braking - if you you do that kind of thing.

BTW carbon is a wonderful thing to dremel (The jag pads have a flange that can be dremeled off). It cuts very nicely, you don't need high rpms and it is easy to control. It is amazing it is so strong. One could continue to dremel the top of the pad holders out too I suppose.

PSS - Makes me think how easy it could be to make a carbon back plate for the the rear der or other parts. The Speedware plate I have even has the thread for the pulley screw tapped into the carbon i.e. no alloy thread bit.
    Last edited by Slobberdoggy; 05-15-2006 at 07:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    When using road pads is it hard to adjust the pad flat to the rim?

mtbr member
    THAT's a good question. I havn't gotten that far yet because I am waiting on some alloy bits I will replace the heavy stock ti bits with. Then hopefully find some spare cone pieces that will allow me to adjust the pad like any other mtb pad but that's in theory. The main thing is to be able to get the "toe" adjusted properly. The stock pads almost look like they would have a little adjustment to them between the convex top of the pad holder and a slightly concave washer. If attempted this way, it would seem like you would need a rubber washer to give the washer some grip against the slick carbon pad holder.

Maybe old man nino in Switzerland can tell us how to do it a couple hours from now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nino sells those Jagwire carbon pad carriers but I'm almost certain he doesn't use them.

They do look great on the scale though...

banned

look closer...

Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    Nino sells those Jagwire carbon pad carriers but I'm almost certain he doesn't use them.

They do look great on the scale though...
    the Jagwires come with a big cone washer (silver). it alows for toe adjustement.
    the pads won't fall out. that's no problem. however in stock trim the Jagwires aren't that light because all the bolts are steel. i changed that setting around a bit and now mine weigh 48g (the set of all 4 pads incl. bolts).

@eurorider:
    wrong - i never sold such pads. i can get them but actually never sold a set. i used them on my Vuelta Magnesium V-brakes. now i'm using the Extralite Ultrabrake but i'm still not satisfied with their power. it looks like i might go back to the Vueltas if i can't find more powerful pads...