mtbr member
    Feb 2011

The lightest bash-guard is homemade

Hi guys,

My first post on Weight Weenies, I guess that makes me one. Though I'm still true to the "don't buy it if it is more than a dollar for every gram saved" rule ;-)

Anyway, I just finished a homemade, functional 31 tooth bash-guard and it is light - 33gr.
    It started as a 3mm DH FSA 34 tooth chain ring, that was then (laboriously) cut down to 129mm - large enough to protect a 31 tooth chain ring, and more than enough for my 9x1 running a 28 tooth in front.
    Two things to note: cost was low at 15Euro (Bike-components.de) for the chainring and 10Euro for the hole cutter (from Amazon); But, as the hole cutter was intended for wood it took a total of about 4hrs. mostly spent on waiting for the overheating drill to cool down, and applying cutting fluid (or rather water for those who don't like the smell).
    Here it is:

Do you guys know of anything lighter?

I've only found ones in the 40-50gr range - usually for 32-36 tooth.

Who says I can't feel 200gr ;-)
    Commit or crash ;-o
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The lightest bash-guard is homemade-1-img_4090-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Top work.

I made a 30t one from 3mm plate as a geometry / machining exercise with my eldest daughter - 30g.

mtbr member
    What did you use to stop the chain from falling on the inside?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    What did you use to stop the chain from falling on the inside?
    He is using it as a bash guard, not a chain guide (even if it may double-duty as one)
    If in 1x mode, the redline chainguide is an option , or an inner chainguide like the BBG bashwich

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Actually, this bash-guard doubles as a chain-guide (together with a BB e-type front-derailleur bracket on the other side).

This works especially well as I have only a single chainring in front.

I've been looking into mounting a teflon slider on the e-type bracket for smoother chain guidance. I could make an L shaped one that would also cover the top-side of the chain thereby not letting it jump-up. Although most of the time the side guides are enough.

I guess the fact that my bike weighs 14kgs (about 31lbs), despite all the light parts I put on it, disqualifies me as a weight weenie ;-(

not too bad for a 160mm travel All-mountain/light Freeride bike though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Top work.

I made a 30t one from 3mm plate as a geometry / machining exercise with my eldest daughter - 30g.

That's cool!

I made one of those too way back in the day, but it was soft-aluminium 2mm plate and ended up getting pretty mangled.

So this time I took the "start with a good, thick aluminum chainring" path.

Will let you know how it bashes.

Hermdeworm,
    Cube Fritzz w DT Swiss EX1750, Formula RX, RP23 Kashima, Mazocchi 55TST+, Shimano/Sram mix, 2006 LX Hollowtech II - Love it! and now homemade bash.