mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Lightest All mountain fork?

What out there for Lighter all mountain forks? Something in the 110-130mm travel range?

Off the top of my head I can think of
    Fox Talas = very heavy
    Fox Float 120 = heavy but good performance
    Manitou Minute MRD? dunno what the reviews are like on this
    Pace/DTSwiss?

Any thoughts on any of those?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    RS Revelation 426 Dual-Air. By going Dual-Air it is lighter and for travel adjustment you dismantle it and add/remove up to two spacers, giving 100-130 travel. Weight is 3.75lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm...
    Fox F120 is lighter than that at 3.56 claimed. I don't care too much about adjustable travel.

120mm is good for me to match my stumpjumper fsr frame.

mtbr member
    http://www.manitoumtb.com/items.asp?deptid=1&itemid=160

Manitou Minute MRD, claimed 1497gr for 130mm.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

ups and downs
    The DT Swiss XMC130 is 1570gms (3.45 lbs) for 130mm of travel. But the price will likely make your eyes water, it must be about $1/gm.

STS
    mtbr member
    120mm is XC

all mountain are 140mm+

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would say that one of the lightes and most rigid AM fork is the Lefty max, the problem is to get it on other frames then cannondale, even if isnīt impossible

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I've got a 2004 Manitou Minute Two at 3.6 pounds with the steerer cut to I think its 9". Cost me a whole $100... hurrah for craigslist.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    120mm is XC

all mountain are 140mm+
    Really? Got a source for that bold suggestion? Its a term without any real definite meaning, and as such if the OP feels a 110-130mm fork is suitable for their style of All Mountain riding, who are you to argue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Magura MD 100R has a claimed weight of 1500g/3.3lbs. for XC.

http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/frameset.htm

My bad I thought I had the Durin link on here, damn the intraweb!
    Last edited by rockerfan28; 03-15-2008 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Magura's website is pretty shocking and uses frames, the actual link for the the MD100R is http://www.magura.com/english/produk...2008_durin.htm

The ML130AM is closer to what was requested however. It's claimed weight is a more hefty 1910gr though. http://www.magura.com/english/produk...urin130fcr.htm

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    120mm is XC

all mountain are 140mm+
    While some frame makers might feel that way for REAR suspension (the Haro Sonix VL120 for example, 120mm rear and 100mm front), as far as front forks go, marzocchi considers 100mm as the max for an XC fork, Fox 100, Manitou 100, Rockshox 100, Magura 100, see a pattern forming?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    Really? Got a source for that bold suggestion? Its a term without any real definite meaning, and as such if the OP feels a 110-130mm fork is suitable for their style of All Mountain riding, who are you to argue?
    120 is xc

mtbr member
    Why? Because you say it is? Not good enough. An example of some evidence to back up such a claim would be:

"Fork manufactures generally suggest up to 100mm forks for XC use, with 120-130mm falling into the All Mountain catgory. Examples are Magura, Manitou*, and Rock Shox."

[SIZE="1"]*I'm taking 'Trail' to have a similar meaning to All Mountain. It's certainly not XC.[/SIZE]

See? I just provided evidence to support a statement. It's not that difficult.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Jeez. Ok lets forget the whole "all-mountain vs XC" debate. Whats a good light fork to match a 120mm full-suspension bike (like my stumpjumper). Something in the 110-130mm range.

Anything more than that I feel is too heavy and looses efficiency, while less travel than that will screw with a that type of bike's geometry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bought the Marzochi Marathon SL. At 120mm and around 3.5lbs it was a good light AM fork for me. I got it on closeout from '06 and so the price was pretty good.

mtbr member
    Lightest 5" travel fork: Specialized Future Shock S120, 120mm travel, carbon 1 1/8 to 1.5" steerer, Trail Tune inertia valve, adjustable Brain Fade and rebound, piggyback one sided air spring and damper

mtbr member
    The Manitou Minute 130mm I mentioned earlier is the lightest 1 1/8th fork that's been suggested so far, and AFAIK it is the lightest 130mm fork around, at 1497gr.

Come on, dare me!
    Are you looking for lightest or best-working ? Because as far as I know, until this year (I hope it's changed for competition's sake), Manitou was in the back wagon in terms of performance... For a 120-130 mm efficient fork, I'd say the Revelation Dual Air or the Fox 32 F120 RLC (I have the 100 mm version and it's really light, beautiful and sweet-working).

fan of maple syrup
    The Manitou Minute 130mm I mentioned earlier is the lightest 1 1/8th fork that's been suggested so far, and AFAIK it is the lightest 130mm fork around, at 1497gr.
    Plus it seems the Minute line of forks are available with a 20mm thru-axle as well, if that floats yer boat (of course, it may add a few grams).

Over in the SRAM forum there's talk of Rockshox's offerings for '09 (i.e. mid-year release). It seems they're putting a 'maxle-light' on the Reba and potentially making it travel adjustable. Given most fork manufacturers seem to aim for a 'lighter, stronger' approach with each release, it could be worth waiting to see what they've got? Or even wait to see what Fox & Marzocchi do with the new 15mm 'E-Thru' (thru-axle) standard alongside Shimano. I get the impression the popularity of the phrase 'All Mountain' is going to see some interesting frame/suspension developments in the near future.

Grams Light Bikes
    I just weighed the Manitou Minute MRD (130mm) is it's 1521.8g with it's full steerer tube length.

And for what its worth All Mtn starts at 140mm and greater.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    I just weighed the Manitou Minute MRD (130mm) is it's 1521.8g with it's full steerer tube length.

Any feedback on the performance of the new Minute MRD? I've heard that quality has improved since Hayes bought them, and hows the performance of the new cartridge?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    That's three times this has been said now, anyone feel like enlightening me as to why? Every fork maker seems to disagree with you.

And if it is the case, what is a 130mm fork classed as?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That's three times this has been said now, anyone feel like enlightening me as to why? Every fork maker seems to disagree with you.

And if it is the case, what is a 130mm fork classed as?
    Considering the level of disagreement that comes up whenever there is a "What is All Mountain?" thread on the "All Mountain" forum I don't think we need to pay too much attention when it spills over onto the Weight Saving forum.