Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lightest 180mm crankset?

I am looking at 180mm cranks and wondering what the lightest I can get is? This will be for a 1x10 setup.

I have tried Middleburns before but would prefer to stick with GXP/external BB. I was considering a SRAM Rival Compact, dropping the outer ring and staying with the 34t or maybe getting a 110BCD 36t. Unfortunately they don't make Force or Red cranks in 180mm.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ups and downs
    XT triple and XTR Trail cranks are available in 180mm
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Lightning Carbon Cranks

Not sure if these are the lightest. You can probably get them with a single ring spider too.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

bike rider
    Lightning has been the lightest cranks available for a while. Expensive, but many spiders, BBs, lengths, and weights/strengths available.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Hmm, wonder if XTR is the lightest available for a 68mm threaded interface.

mtbr member
    S-works

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Hmm, wonder if XTR is the lightest available for a 68mm threaded interface.
    S-Works are alot lighter than XTR & cheaper. Run a Lightning spider to save another 22 grams and THM Clav. threaded BB30 cups. Several others make these these BB 30 cups = Hive, Rotor, Zipp.

mtbr member
    I have an E.Thirteen crankset (i.e. Hive) which has a 30mm spindle and an external bb for the 68mm threaded english bottom bracket interface. Are you saying that the S-Works cranks will work with that type of bottom brackets as well? Interesting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have an E.Thirteen crankset (i.e. Hive) which has a 30mm spindle and an external bb for the 68mm threaded english bottom bracket interface. Are you saying that the S-Works cranks will work with that type of bottom brackets as well? Interesting.
    Here you go.
    S-Works carbon cranks on Mojo SL
    You can't buy these direct from Specialized USA, as they want you to going through a Specialized dealer to purchase them. Price is still $300.00.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Agree.

mtbr member
    if you have 175mm but can get a hold of some excellent 180mm will u notice "a" difference?

mtbr member
    Sorry but I don't wish to get into the crank length debate.

Thanks for the links to the carbon cranks. That BB30 option with the right bottom bracket is very cool, I might go for it.

mtbr member
    Took me a little while to work up the gumption but I ordered some S-Works 180s after the E-Thirteens wore out at a race last weekend. Can someone tell me the BCD of the double MTB spider? Thanks.

bike rider
    I can tell you that the Lightning flip-flop double/triple spider fits the S-works and is lighter. It's a standard triple BCD, 58/94 I think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I can tell you that the Lightning flip-flop double/triple spider fits the S-works and is lighter. It's a standard triple BCD, 58/94 I think?
    My Lightning double/triple spider is 64/104 BCD. 35.8 grams. The Specialized spider is approx. 56 grams. The Lightning spider lock ring is also 2 grams lighter, so 22 grams total savings.

mtbr member
    How do you order the Lightning spider separately? I went and ordered the S-works, they've got a double and triple spider for mountain, just wondering what the BCD of the double is.

Also I've seen some people with single spline drive rings, any idea where to get one of those in 34t or 36t? I run 1x10.

bike rider
    How do you order the Lightning spider separately? I went and ordered the S-works, they've got a double and triple spider for mountain, just wondering what the BCD of the double is.

Also I've seen some people with single spline drive rings, any idea where to get one of those in 34t or 36t? I run 1x10.
    MRP makes those single rings for Sram cranks but I don't think anyone makes them for Lightning/S-works besides Mathias' custom Ti rings. If you run a single ring on a spider you want to get a triple spider and run the ring in the middle position. The Lightning spider can be ordered from Lightning via email.

mtbr member
    Ok got the 64/104 Lightning spider ordered, thanks. I got some Race Face crank arm protectors too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i have two sets of m985 trail cranks 180mm lengths. one set 28/40 rings the other on the SS running a 30 tooth ring. Strong, flex free and core crash resistent than carbon.
    Also a set of m770 180mm running 26/40 rings. All three shimano's have CK ceramic BB's for smooth running and ease of maintance.

I have also run RF isis 180's in the past BB issues were the onlt headache with these.

mtbr member
    XTR would definitely be my next choice. Wow, the S-Works cranks are nice. Very light and the thick BB30 spindle makes them super-stiff. My old E.Thirteens were really worn out and flexing. This is a very welcome upgrade. The Lightning spider fits great. I went ahead and got some Race Face crank arm protectors. Thanks everyone for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightest 180mm crankset?-29815_423873527672070_1345350760_n-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anyone have accurate weights for XTR vs Lightning vs S-Works all in 180mm length and same number of chain rings? I've found numbers for all from different sources, but am interested to see all 3 go across the same scale so the relative difference is more accurate.

I'm going to move up from 175's to 180's this winter on my bike and currently the S-Works looks like the bang for the buck best option. But, I'd like to confirm the weights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have two sets of m985 180mm cranks, one set up with a 30T ring for the SS and the other on the hard tail 28/40. Both are running CK ceramic BB's.
    riding impressions; zero flex solid cranks than can take a pounding, a bit heavier than carbon but they don't snap and in the end that's what sold me on them. I'm 2'2" tall and around 200lbs (90+ kg) so no weight weenie rider LOL

Fat Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    ... I'm 2'2" tall and around 200lbs (90+ kg) so no weight weenie rider LOL
    Not only not a WW rider, but I'll bet you are really hard to size a bike on
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Loving the S-Works 180mm crankset, stiff, light, and yet relatively inexpensive.

Anyone know when and where I can get an XX1 spider? I don't see them on Specialized.com for sale but I know the Olympic champ has been riding XX1 for several months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    175 is a Next SL 595gm with BB, pretty light, but not exactly 180 you were looking for at all but I thought I'd just throw it in there.
    Race Face 2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast