SUBLIM8er

Lightest 1 x 9 drivetrain setup?

Here's what I'm thinking:
    Sram XG-999 cassette
    XTR Shadow RD
    Paul's Thumbies/DA 9 speed levers/PowerCordz cable and housing
    Wolftooth XX1-type front chainring
    Chain?

The only issue for me is that I would like to run a 38t front and Wolftooth only makes a 34, I think. I'll be running it on a Lightning CS with 104 BCD single spider. Any thoughts on where to save weight? I'd like to stay away from the chain keeper, if possible. Not sure this is realistic until another option for a big tooth chainring becomes clear.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Hey Axis, FYI we will have 36 tooth 104 BCDs before the end of the month.

A 38 tooth is on the table but with most folks running 29ers, the 38 starts to get pretty tall!
    We will have 38 coming too, but they are an 88 BCD (Shimano XTR M985)
    wolftoothcomponents.com

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfTooth View Post

A 38 tooth is on the table but with most folks running 29ers, the 38 starts to get pretty tall!
    Excellent. Yes, I agree 38 is a big ring up front for the 29 and that's what I want it for. This bike is primarily being set up for Chequamegon where the big gear is needed for the flat, paved and flat roll-out. I think it would be just about right for the gravel cruising too, yet still allow for the climbs. The 36 and/or 34 will be about right for me for some other races, I think. Thanks for the info!
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Since you mention Cheq, I thought I would chime in. I ran a 36 x 11-34 last year, the rollout seemed a little slower than past, but I was near the front with that gear. All climbs were rideable. My overall time was 2:25, but felt like I had to pull several groups in the middle. Not sure if I could push a higher gear for the entire course, but will need to figure out something to get below by 2:20 goal for this year.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Since you mention Cheq, I thought I would chime in. I ran a 36 x 11-34 last year, the rollout seemed a little slower than past, but I was near the front with that gear. All climbs were rideable. My overall time was 2:25, but felt like I had to pull several groups in the middle. Not sure if I could push a higher gear for the entire course, but will need to figure out something to get below by 2:20 goal for this year.
    That's a nice time. I'm in wave 2 as well. I'll be riding the race geared for the first time in many years. I'm pretty confident about the bigger gear- I ran the race in 36/14 last year, but had to run Firetower, of course. I cleared all the other climbing in that gear, but just barely. Looking forward to a geared experience this year for a change. Should be at about 17lbs for the new Cheq. Fat geared race bike. Say hello the the Wave 2 Peace Coffee guy on the WW 1 x 9 29er in Sept. this year
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Is there an ETA for when the XTR rings will be available to the public?
    Ellsworth Epiphany - 27.5/650b conversion
    `09 Cannondale 29er F4 - Dog walking bike

mtbr member

XTR rings ETA

On the XTR Rings, it will be before the end of the month (shipping) for the 36 with the 38 tooth early next month.
    Exact dates will be posted on our FB page once the date gets closer. We will also take pre orders starting about a week before they arrive.

I personally will be running these rings, so I can't wait either=)
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    On the XTR Rings, it will be before the end of the month (shipping) for the 36 with the 38 tooth early next month.
    Exact dates will be posted on our FB page once the date gets closer. We will also take pre orders starting about a week before they arrive.

I personally will be running these rings, so I can't wait either=)
    Thanks, I'll add you guys to my FB.

To the OP sorry for the thread jack. Iirc KMC 10 spd SL chain will be the lightest conventional option and the lightest chain possible would be the Wipperman Titanium chain.
    Ellsworth Epiphany - 27.5/650b conversion
    `09 Cannondale 29er F4 - Dog walking bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll look for you. Maybe we can draft off each other

With your singlespeed mentality (I'm still working on mine), the 38T would be perfect. Nice and fast for 80% of that race.

IMHO - I'd like a double ring 34/38; tall enough for DH during Dakota 50 and the Cheq rollouts. Small enough to still tough it out on all of the climbs in races that I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

What about those still running 26-inch bikes? I pre-ordered two 36Ts for my 104 BCD cranks, but I really wanted 38T.

mtbr member
    I hear you on the 38 tooth. I personally will be running the M985 crankset with the 38 tooth on my 29er HT because I wanted a 38tooth (and that is my favorite crankset=)

Just FYI on the technical side, the 38t 104BCD presents a few challenges. If it is mounted in the middle position it might hit the frame (frame dependent). If it is mounted in the big ring position, the chain line isn't great in the big cogs. We are trying to figure out the best way to deal w/ this. Certainly mounting in the middle position with a disclaimer is an option, but there might be a better option....
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It should be fine in the middle position. I run 2x9 on three bikes (a Scott Spark and 2 Scott Scales) with 40/27 on middle and inner most positions and 11-32 cassette.

mtbr member
    That is good to know. Thanks!
    FYI - I would put the 38t 104 BCD rings out about 6 weeks. For those running M985, the 38t is only ~3 weeks out.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

SUBLIM8er
    That is good to know. Thanks!
    FYI - I would put the 38t 104 BCD rings out about 6 weeks. For those running M985, the 38t is only ~3 weeks out.
    It occured to me: Can I run a 9 speed chain on your ring with good results? I'll have a XTR Shadow 9 speed RD. Do you think a chain keeper would still be required in my case?
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Yes 9 speed chains will work.
    Your rear derailleur is not a clutch type though so you do risk dropping your chain occasionally.
    We have had no drops in testing with the clutch type and rare drops, but they have happened, on really rough stuff without the clutch. If you appropriately size your chain (length as short as possible to cover all the gears) you will have the most chain security possible.

I hope this helps...
    wolftoothcomponents.com

Human Test Subject
    i think microshift thumbies weigh less than dura ace bar ends and paul thumbie mounts.

mtbr member
    I just got my wolf tooth 32t ring. I'm also going to be ordering the 36t. Looks well made! On a side note, any plans for road rings? I'd like to run one of these for cx on my sram force crank set, so I can ditch my chain guide.

Edit...I see you asked this question on your facebook page. I run a 39t for cx!

mtbr member
    Thx Fakie. You will have to switch to a even toothed ring then for CX=)
    wolftoothcomponents.com