mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Lighter Substitutes for 28H Notubes ZTR Olympic Rims?

Any suggestions for lighter substitutes, including exotic ones, for Notubes ZTR Olympic rims (28H) on Extralite Ultradisc TNT wheels
    http://www.extralite.com/vintage/UltraDisc%20tnt.htm
    without having to change the spokes?
    Last edited by skyfire1202; 02-07-2011 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thank you! Was looking at those too, but not sure if the spokes needed to be changed.

bike rider
    Innolite is the ONLY one I can think of.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Mattkock!

Did you have a first hand experience on this, or anybody you know?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I actually posted those rims before you added that last part to your post. The only rim that you could swap without changing spokes would be the ZTR Alpine, but that wouldn't save you much weight at all.

It's usually not a very good idea to rebuild a wheel with the same spokes anyways.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for your thoughts. I actually only edited a grammatical error on the last part that I didn't notice when I was still composing the first version from a phone, but mentioned about the issue regarding the spokes already.

Was going to use it on a Spark that I'm trying to find time to build. I was gonna use either my Extralite NT7 set or my Notubes Race 7000 on AC hubs set (one set goes to my Scale Ltd.), but was thinking both have the same rims and wanted another one can take more beating or can be used for training at the same time, then sell the Notubes on AC set that I haven't even used yet.

My race weight is at about 58-60Kg, maybe gained some weight this winter to 62Kg max with gear and do only XC races. Was thinking I can make the Ultradisc TNT, now at 1236.8g, lighter than it is or even just break the 1200-g mark.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What about just buying the Extralite SPD hubs seperate and have them laced to some nice light rims with ti spokes? Overall it'll probably end up quite a bit cheaper, and stronger than if you were to buy the wheels built then rebuild them with the same spokes and a different rim.

I guess I just completely missed that last paragraph the first time I read your original post, then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I already have the wheels, just thinking to upgrade them. Is there really much difference between the Alpines and the Olympics with regards to weight and tire width when mounted using the same tire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    oh, guess I missed that too. My reading comprehension's apparently worse than I thought!

At the most, the Alpines will save you 30g per rim. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Reading back, I guess I wasn't also very clear that I have the wheels already. If it's really 60 grams to be saved, that's a lot! Thanks!