Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lighter SPD pedals- x-post

I'm looking to drop some weight with a pedal change from my m770 (350g) to something much lighter. While I know that I could drop a lot with many CB options, I want to stick with SPD compatible designs, but don't want to sacrifice durability... as if? LOL
    The two I'm thinking about are-
    Xpedo MF8 ti/ti
    Ritchey WCS Paradigm
    I did consider m980's also, but they aren't that much lighter(310g), and to make them 50g lighter with ti spindles would also make them more expensive ($230 total or so) than either the Xpedo ($170) or Ritchey ($160)- all ebay/online type pricing.

Opinions? Experiences?

20 years in the woods
    Feb 2008
    Also check out Exustar: Exustar Cycling

I have the PM215ti's and so far they are holding up just fine.Durability will depend on maintenance,which is very easy and fast. I use Shimano cleats,somehow it feels better. 228gr for the pair.
    Gajas what?

mtbr member
    Here's the Ritcheys for 130.

Ritchey WCS Paradigm

mtbr member
    Thanks Nozes! The decision gets harder...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Xpedo XMF 08TT is the way to go; three sealed bearings, ti spindle and around 210gr. 140...real deal.

mtbr member
    The Xpedo XMF08TT's are the best SPD pedals on the market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Ritchey's Paradigm V5 are the worst pedals I have ever used. I am a pretty intense weight weenie and removed them from my bike and threw some XT pedals on even at the huge weight penalty.

Not only do they not feel secure when you are clipped in and pull out easily even with strong spring tension, but they are also extremely difficult to clip into due to the square design of them. You can easily half clip into the 'ends' of the pedals vs. the area which is supposed to be horizontal. When this happens it almost feels clipped in but isn't, meaning you have to take your foot out and spin the pedal with your foot to get back in properly (difficult when racing).

I used them for one race and some local rides then took them off immediately. I threw them on my street track bike thinking I wouldn't have much problems with them on a city bike plus they are light. Wrong, they were still brutal to clip into without looking / pulling up to make sure they were clipped in (you never feel confident to mash) and one pulled out on me while sprinting almost making me face plant (fixed gear bike).

They are sitting under the couch now collecting dust, I consider them a hazard to safety.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Guess that's why Ive never heard of Paradigms. I'll stay with XTR's.

mtbr member
    XTR's are some of the worst high-end pedals on the market.

Weaknesses:
    - Heavy
    - Spring tension is "adjustable" between hard and harder (very bad for people with problematic knees)
    - Clear mud worse than most of the competition

The only thing XTR pedals had going for them is that they used to be very reliable, but that's no longer the case with the latest version. I've read several reports of broken spindles on European forums.

The XMF08TT's are much lighter, more adjustable and -compared to the lastest XTR's- more reliable.

You can't pay me to ride XTR's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post

Weaknesses:
    - Heavy
    - Spring tension is "adjustable" between hard and harder (very bad for people with problematic knees)

The only thing XTR pedals had going for them is that they used to be very reliable, but that's no longer the case with the latest version. I've read several reports of broken spindles on European forums.

The XMF08TT's are much lighter, more adjustable and -compared to the lastest XTR's- more reliable.

Love my xtr's, but do wish they were lighter
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. Anyone with some Exustar 215ti feedback??

20 years in the woods
    Feb 2008
    Yet another good option,nice weight,bearings,good shoe support: BPD-13 - Pedals - BBB
    Gajas what?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Running Ritchey Paradigm WCS on cross bike and mtb with no issues. The body is smaller than XTR so it is a little harder to line it up when clipping in but they are 100 grams lighter so it's to be expected that there has to be less material.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The Xpedo XMF08TT's are the best SPD pedals on the market.

Weaknesses:
    - Heavy

My experience is the complete opposite to yours. I had a lot of trouble with what is obviously your favorite pedal.

Should I negative rep you because your opinion or experience doesn't agree with mine? No, that wouldn't be too classy would it?
    Last edited by jathanas; 02-27-2013 at 03:16 PM.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Lighter SPD pedals- x-post-img_6819.jpg

xpedo aluminum/titanium. I really like this pedal but I'm also looking at the ritchey wcs paradigm for my other bike. I also have the shimano M520 and that pedal just keeps going but its really heavy at 360g, I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I tried xpedo and went back to shimano. After years of using xtr's when I went to clip into the xpedo pedal I'd catch the front of the cleat on back of pedal. The shimanos are curve at the back and the point of the cleat slides right over and falls into place. I didn't want to trade the weight savings for having to re-train my muscle memory from 15+ years of spd's. I still have the original shimano's going strong & heavy! I don't ride much in the mud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Any other peoples thoughts on the ritchey wcs paradigm? They look to be a good option for weight and cost, but some people don't like the retention or feel of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My biggest thing against the xpedo is the 175 pound weight limit. I am sitting right at 175 pounds. Are they not very durable?

mtbr member
    I've been using XPedos for several years, those very pedals shown above. Love them, I am close the 175lb limit loaded but I don't jump and am easy on my gear. Hardly ever break stuff (knock on my head). I guess YMMV.

I've used the Ritchey's (Paradigm) and have noticed they're harder to clip in to some times.

Oh, by the way, one interesting thing of the XPedos - I sometimes unclip from them unintentionally. Even at the highest clip setting, it's not as stiff as the Shimano. Just in case..........

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Pretty happy with the Paradigms I mean they are LIGHT. I came from Shimano DX clipless pedals with the large plastic cage around them and had to get used to having a smaller platform to step onto, but you get used do it and I saved 300g off the bike. With the spring tension on half way they hold under all pedalling efforts but still release easily when needing to dab in fast corners and when crashing.

Dirt Abuser
    I've had the CB Candy SL for a while and like them. The newer ones are a claimed 262g a pair. The 11's are 226g, but $
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ive been riding with Ritchey Paradigms v5 for two rides now and Im not that exited. First of all it doesn't have have that distinct clicking when you get on and off the bike like shimano, especially off... and sometimes I feel the shoe gets stuck clicking off, and in some occasions I really got stuck and fell with the bike, not that fun riding trail. I have tuned the pedal to get it to work properly but not getting any progress. Yesterday the right pedal also broke, just so typical.

So Im getting another pedal.

Lighter SPD pedals- x-post-photo-2013-05-14-21-20-45.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any more experience with the Ritchey WCS paradigms ??
    Specifically interested in durability and feel compared to Times.

I've broken 3 pairs of the new Time XC carbons - riding SS xc - and need something more durable.
    Selma Ti.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    Any more experience with the Ritchey WCS paradigms ??
    Specifically interested in durability and feel compared to Times.

I've broken 3 pairs of the new Time XC carbons - riding SS xc - and need something more durable.
    No experience on Paradigms, but another vote for Exustars. 228 grams and I've found them for $120. Can't comment on durability as I haven't spent much time on them, but I was happy with them over the course of a 50 mile race.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i've been using a set of wellgo spd all since last spring. they weighed 200gr. and are dirt cheap. using shimano multi release cleats i had to up the tension.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast