just ride
    Oct 2006

New question here. Lighter Scott Genius 50... $2000 budget

Hi Guys,

I need help. How can I make my bike lighter with $2k budget? I have a 2009 Scott Genius 50 that weighs in at 30 lbs. Basically everything is stock except for:

828 grams Truvative Noir Crank/BlackBox Ceramic BB,
    wellgo magnesium platforms @ 300+ grams,
    specialized phenom saddle @220 grams,
    PG990 Sram Cassette @ 179grams and
    KS-i950R (which made the bike heavy, 600+ grams just for this seatpost).

I'd really like to lighten it up by replacing my wheelset but not sure which one is cheaper, *light and strong. I currently I have tube but I can also go with tubeless if that's lighter.

*XC light, somewhere around 1200-1300 grams

I want to keep my body posture/geometry the same so if I can just replace some stock parts with carbon, that'll be great to shave off some weight. I dont care about the brand name, I just want it to last. My goal is to drop the weight down to 24 lbs for now with $2k.

Although I have a trail bike, I still ride it like how I ride my carbon fiber XC bike, slow. I dont do jumps and such so I dont think I'll bend a wheel or even get a pinch flat on my 20psi tubes... Also, I weight in at 145lbs geared up.

Please advice. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    6lbs is a lot of weight to lose - you will need to be methodical....weighing or finding out weights of what you've got.
    The problem about basic bikes is that everything will be heavy, including the frame. It might be best to replace a few parts with some very nice upgrades, which can easily be swapped onto a new lighter platform. Otherwise you'll find you have an overcapitalised Genius 50 in the end

Wheels are one of the best ways to lose weight on a bike, and certainly the most noticeable. Tubeless can easily be acheived with 1 layer of stans yellow tape in a stans rim. You can also use protection tyres rather than UST to save extra overall weight.

The 1200-1300g range is a XC race type wheelset that would last about 12months for most racers (maybe a bit longer for a lightweight) - If you do trail riding they will last for less time. (There are superlight wheelsets from 1000 -1200 which will be super-expensive and even less durable)

The better range for a genius would be 1300-1400g. A stans alpine or crest on light generic hubs and aerolites will give you about 1350g, and a rim which will last a couple of years.

Forks are also another area where you will feel a big performance difference as well as weight
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Tires, wheels, forks, in that order.
    Find some light Schwalbes, Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron.
    Suggestion above for wheels is right on the money.
    RockShox Revelation RLT Ti or WC is pretty light.

You even have some money spare to buy titanium bolts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Look for a set of used Mavic Crossmax SL's on ebay. They are older wheels but bulletproof. They are sub 1500g. 1200-1300 g wheels will be big $$$. More than your budget and will not last. They are race wheels. Trust me. Look at tires as well. That's the best place to save weight as other posters have mentioned. You might want to re think your goal. My Anthem X is 24lbs in a medium with the XMax wheels with 2.1 tubless Ralph, XTR except for XT Cranks, carbon bar, light seatpost and stem with a Rock Shox Sid. There is no secret to a light bike. Start with a light frame and use light components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy67
    Look for a set of used Mavic Crossmax SL's on ebay. They are older wheels but bulletproof. They are sub 1500g. 1200-1300 g wheels will be big $$$. More than your budget and will not last. They are race wheels. Trust me.
    Not true. See the post a few up. You can get a nice wheelset in the 1300g range for well under 1000$

mtbr member
    And Crossmax SLs are definitely not sub 1500g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not even sub 1600 for 6-bolt methinks
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    From what I could find, CrossMax SL are 685 F and 835 R. That's 1520g. I missed by 20g if the weights I found are correct. Not bad for a wheelset that I have about 10K on with only replacing 1 spoke. I still think that a 1300g wheelset is race weight. You have to sacrifice something. As Keith Bontrager said...light, strong, cheap. Pick two.

mtbr member
    claimed...