mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Which is lighter? More durable? Performance wise?

I have a Mavic x223 rims with Shimano 495 hubs(Alivio), I am planning to change to Mavic xc717 dics and xt hubs. Do you think the change is significant? I am on a tight budget. Need help ASAP! Thanks!

mtbr member

what benefit?

what benefits are you looking for? i don't think the weight saving will be very significant. i dought you would be able to tell ANY difference by riding.
    durability, probably the same, the 223 and 717 are very similar. hubs, well i have not tried alivio, but i have seen many mid range bike with those hubs on 223 rims and they have not heard complaints.

i would just keep riding the 223 wheels unless you can go more high end on non shimano hubs and something like dt spokes so you can get some REAL weight savings.

if it is less weight you are looking for, try different tires and tubes for less money (if you haven't already).

mtbr member
    The 495 hubs are absolute crap, not to mention heavy. I had to rebuild mine twice before I eventually ditched the wheelset for a better one.

However XT hubs with xc717 isn't that much better. Perhaps wait until the hubs start to die on you then see if you can afford something a bit better.

Members who have read this thread: 0