mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Lightening my 2012 Stumpjumper Comp HT 26

Weighed this stock at 22lbs.

Pls recommend parts I can get weight savings on.. hope to get this to 20lbs.. Seems like a lot of quality components. thinking were I can save off fat..

Technical Specifications
    FRAME
    M5 fully manipulated alloy, tapered HT, PF30 BB, PM 140mm rear brake, 135mm dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
    REAR SHOCK
    FORK
    RockShox Reba RL, tapered alloy steerer, LO and reb adj. standard drop-outs, 90mm travel
    HEADSET
    1-1/8 and 1-1/2" Threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2" lower bearing for tapered integrated HT, cartridge bearings
    STEM
    Specialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp, adjustable rise, S: 75mm, M: 90mm, L: 105mm, XL: 105mm
    HANDLEBARS
    Specialized XC flat, 2014 butted alloy, 680mm wide, 8 back sweep, 31.8mm
    GRIPS
    Specialized lock-on, S/M: Grappler, Others: Grappler XL
    FRONT BRAKE
    Custom Avid Elixir 7 SL, hydraulic disc, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, 160mm HS-1 rotor
    REAR BRAKE
    Custom Avid Elixir 7 SL, hydraulic disc, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, 160mm HS-1 rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS
    Custom Avid Elixir R SL hydraulic, tool-less reach adj., w/MatchMaker clamps
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    SRAM X7, 10-speed, 34.9 clamp mount, low clamp
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    SRAM X9, 10-speed, mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS
    SRAM X7, 10-speed, aluminum trigger, w/MatchMaker clamps
    CASSETTE
    SRAM PG-1030, 10-speed, 11-36t
    CHAIN
    KMC X-10, 10-speed, w/ reusable Missing Link, nickel plates
    CRANKSET
    Custom SRAM S-1250, 7050 alloy arms, 10-speed XC double, PF30 spindle, 15.5": 170mm, Others: 175mm
    CHAINRINGS
    38/24
    BOTTOM BRACKET
    SRAM PF30, OS press-in bearing, sealed cartridge
    PEDALS
    Resin Test Ride Pedals with toe clips, CEN std.
    RIMS
    Custom DT Swiss X420SL, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h
    FRONT HUB
    Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, RWS, 28h
    REAR HUB
    Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, double-sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h
    SPOKES
    DT Swiss Industry 2.0, (14g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE
    S-Works Fast Trak, 120 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual-compound, 26x2.0"
    REAR TIRE
    Specialized Renegade Control, 60 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual compound, 26x1.9"
    INNER TUBES
    Ultralight presta valve
    SADDLE
    Specialized Body Geometry Phenom Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm width
    SEATPOST
    2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 27.2mm, 350mm 15.5/17.5", Others: 400mm
    SEAT BINDER
    31.8mm clamp size, 7050 hard anodized alloy collar, single bolt

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't see how that bike can currently weigh only 22 lbs. Are you sure your scale is calibrated? Everything on my On One Whippet is lighter than what is on your bike and it weighs 22 lbs.

Anyways, if you want to get to 20lbs. you pretty much need to replace everything on the bike, except the frame, fork and tires.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Start with the wheels. Get some carbon or Crests (if your weight is under 190). Then go with the usuals-saddle, handlebars, seatpost, stem, brakes, cassette, cranks, derailleurs, shifters, probably in about that order.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    have already changed the stem and bar to a lighter Truvativ T40 Carbon bar and stem.
    Really thinking of changing Wheels/Tires/Rims

1)Are schwalbe racing ralphs lighter than the stock tires on my bike?

2)need recommendations on wheelsets.. was thinking of American Classic Race but the red and white decals doesnt seem to match the black green accents on the bike...

3)or should I just replace the rims(only) to ZTRs? not sure about the weight of the stock hubs and spokes.

appreciate inputs

Custom Wheelbuilder
    As suggested, wheels are going to be a substantial upgrade. You could always lace Stans Crest rims to some Chris King ISO hubs. This would be a bit lighter than your current wheels, and probably a bit more durable as well.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Racing Ralphs will certainly be lighter if you dont get the snakeskin version. And go tubeless.

The seatpost and saddle that came on my '11 stumpy fsr 29er were heavy, so i switched them out. That might help you too.

A new wheel set will make a difference because they will reduce rotational weight. American Classics are good. I went with i9s with ArchEX rims.

I also switched to 1x10 and went with ESI foam grips. Finally, I upgraded to a XT cassette which saved rotational weight.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Like everyone else said!

switch to xx shifters, f/r derailleur
    Formula R1 brakes with carbon levers
    Wheels: New Mavic SLR's, or ENVE twenty6 carbons
    Tires: should consider the type of riding you do! Conti has some new all around tires that are 505g. It's won a few contest in some Europe bike mags.
    Cranks, Lightening or specialized carbon, I'm currently running rotor cranks with XTR BB
    Saddle, many options at around 120g
    Seat post: I'm running a Thompson Masterpiece
    Pedals, I'm running Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 4ti, 180g for both

This should help lighten your bike.

With your current set up, 22lbs seems to light, I would guess your bike, at best would be in the 24lbs range.

Good luck

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I like Kevins suggestion of the Enve 26. I am not too sure about the SLR though. The freehub body is lacking in durability and the preload on that hub is really hard to adjust. Additionally, I would think that the driveside of the rear wheel being laced radially would cause spokes to go slack and wear prematurely.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels