Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Low Rep Count

Light weight valves

Ok, so I am collecting parts for a wheel build. They won't be super light mind you as I will be running Hope hubs but I've wanted them for a long time, got a good deal and they should be here in a day or so. In any case, I am going to need to get some valves and figure I will try to find some lighter ones to go with my Crest rims (which I will be ordering real soon). I have seen Stans of course but also saw a post where someone mentioned AC (assuming this is American Classic) and that they were red (which is cool because the wheels will have red hubs and nipples w/ black rims/spokes). Just trying to find out what is out there, what seems to work well, and if indeed they are available in colors or if that is even worth it.

Low Rep Count
    Got my answer on the AC valves: Tubeless Parts

Might just go with these unless you guys know of something better/lighter....

viva la v-brakes!
    Interesting. Report back in on how much these weigh compared to Stans or Mavic valves.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Low Rep Count
    Well, I saw this posted in the "post your lightweight bikes" thread by ajay about his Cannondale
    "Tubes: Notubes Sealant 2x30ml + AC Red Valve Tuned - 66,1g"

I believe his bike is a 26 though so of course the amount of tape would be different. None the less, the tape can't weigh that much so I am guessing maybe around 30-32g ea / per valve????

None the less, my current wheels while bomb proof are quite heavy.

Velocity VXC rims (eye litted)
    Stans conversion tape and rubber rim strip (I was in a rush when I swapped from 26-29 and just ran the same strip...long story w/ several problems in the process....)
    Brass nipples
    DT Swiss comp spokes
    WI hubs
    WI trials fw (run a ss) best fw out there but heavy at 203g!

New wheels will be:
    Stans Crest
    DT allow nips (red)
    DT swiss comp spokes (black)
    Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs (SS) in red
    HBC 18t cog in red
    AC valves
    Stans yellow tape

Not sure what I'll do about cog spacers and lock ring. Anything light out there? Available in RED??? Links??? Sorry, haven't run a cog set up on a bike in probably 4 years now.

Low Rep Count
    The goal of this wheel build is to allow me to slap some meatier tires on the current wheels (WTB Bronsons) and use them for bad weather or off season and the new wheels with my Maxxis Ikon's for an over all faster rolling and somewhat lighter build for the summer.

Maromero

viva la v-brakes!
    Well, my Mavic valves come in at 5 g, so I don't know how much we're really saving here. Maybe the stan's weigh more since they are brass? I think the Mavics are steel. Anyway, good to know, not going to bother 'upgrading' but if I need to buy new ones due to damage I'll give the American Classics a try.

mtbr member
    I recently ordered the AC valves from outside outfitters. They are ridiculously light.

Where'd you find a deal on the hope hubs?

Low Rep Count
    Well, the hubs actually have a bit of a story behind them. I had basically bought something else from this seller in the past and had a bit of a problem. After all the drama we went thru trying to get the issue corrected with the manufacturer he ended up giving me a pretty steep discount when I mentioned I was looking at ordering some new hubs. It all went down a month or so ago but the guy honored his word and I got the pair for about $290. Nothing too ridiculous but I always wanted a set of them so I figured why not. I have seen them going on ebay for about $350 so I'm happy with the price I paid.

Well according to what I read in the above posted link, it sounds like the AC's will work just fine with the Stans rims even though they have a rounded profile. Looks like I will just give them a shot first and see what happens.

viva la v-brakes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have AC Valves on my ZTR Alpine Rims. I have had 2 break so far (rear wheel twice), the metal fatigues and "rips" apart. Like the metal "uncoils" LOL.

I want them to work for me but not looking good
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    I'd suggest the duke's There large mass of square rubber is much nicer then the stans. it sits in the rim channel much nicer then the stans do.
    And even though the blue doesn't match the rest of the blue on my bike, its better then red.
    RAH!

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    i got some duke valves already. they look great. i ordered black ones. will test them in summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I got the AC ones today. Really nice and light

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post
    I have AC Valves on my ZTR Alpine Rims. I have had 2 break so far (rear wheel twice), the metal fatigues and "rips" apart. Like the metal "uncoils" LOL.
    How do you manage to break them, was it using a foot pump or a hand pump? that's the only way I could imagine.
    Last edited by doccoraje; 04-14-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post

I want them to work for me but not looking good
    How did you break them? maybe over tighten? Do you have pictures?

It's a cool update. Where's the cheapest place to buy them?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt View Post
    It's a cool update. Where's the cheapest place to buy them?
    I ordered mines at Outside Outfitters - Marmot Tents, Osprey Backpacks, BMC Bikes, Niner Bikes, and more! (thanks to 2002maniac) they were cheaper than ebay.

Go faster!
    thanks doccoraje will check out.

Go faster!
    Here they are!

Already installed on ZTR Alpine rims, 6 gram

I had to bend the edge of the valve where it sits on the rim for a better siting and conformance...
    I hope they dont break!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't use bent valves to save mere 7.8g/pair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt View Post
    I had to bend the edge of the valve where it sits on the rim for a better siting and conformance...
    I hope they dont break!
    I'm looking at the package that was posted and did you use that block of rubber that is above the O-ring and below the nut? Isn't that suppose to be on the outside under the nut? I don't see it in your picture.

Maromero
    I just received mine today also. 6.8 gr without caps.
    Sergio, some questions, why did you have to bend them, wasn't the rubber donut enough to conform to the rim shape? Also, any reason for not using the plastic washer?

mtbr member
    No problems to report using the AC valves with stans arch. They sealed up just fine with a slightly squished o-ring. no bending required.

STS
    mtbr member
    I don't recomend these aluminum valves
    I bought a pair, I was very carefull for not bending it when inflating, but anyway one of them broke WHILE RIDING, all the air out in 2 seconds. surely it was already damaged.
    it was at low speed when going over a rock, at high speed it would have been a disaster

Just hit it with speed
    I got 3.7g per valve, 6.3g for the stans.

On 355 29er rim in the front and 29er arch in the rear.

Got both tires to mount and seat on the bead. Problem was neither wanted to hold air around valve stem. The black nut above rim and rubber donut below. Assumed they would seal for the ride I was about to go on.

Wrong............. rolled a rim off the front, tried using hand pump, no dice, tried using C02 got it to sit on the rim but just kept losing air around valve. For the record was riding Ignitor in the front, Saguro in the rear. The Saguro held air with the valve and ghetto juice for the remainder of the ride.

I still have faith in these, but for whatever reason they didn't seal up as easy as the Stan's valve.

Going to either use latex caulk to seal around valve hole and/or try taking that black spacer out from between rim and nut.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast