Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Light weight Stem and Bar (NON Carbon)

Looking for a new stem/bar combo. Dont care if its 25.4 or 31.8 and width will be cut to 25".

I have looked at carbon and it is too expensive so I am looking at aluminum. Who makes the lightest?

Also, it might be relevant to say that I am currently running a stock GT stem (about 100mm) 25.4 and a older Salsa Moto Ace? bar cut to 23".
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ive got a bontrager race x lite stem, 90mm is 116g

rrl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    extralite... but if you want a light one and not too expensive, try new ultimate or kcnc
    facebook: smart bicycle

official eMpTyBRain
    I loved my Syntace F99 stem but I don't think they are available anymore?

I'm still riding a KCNC SC Bone handlebar and it's been great. My flatbar weighs 116 grams
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

spec4life???..smh...
    Im running a 60mm ritchey wcs alum stem in it weighs in right at 90g.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I loved my Syntace F99 stem but I don't think they are available anymore?

I'm still riding a KCNC SC Bone handlebar and it's been great. My flatbar weighs 116 grams

Just beware Syntace F99 comes comes in 90, 105, 120, 135mm, which is kinda odd? And the KCNC SC Bone bar would be sweet.

Or Syntace F109 (31.8mm, 100mm, 113g) with FSA K-force lite (600mm, 120g)

Or less cost, Ibis 3D (31.8mm, IIRC 100mm @ 120g I forget now) is nice and can't beat the price (have one now). If sub Ti hardware at some date, pretty much at F109 weight I think.
    Gunnar Rockhound - Hardtails in Reynolds 853 and True Temper OX Platinum are still a great idea.

mtbr member
    I like the FSA OS-99. Cheap & relatively light. I belive it's around 115g for 100 mm and you shouldn't have any problem finding them for less than $100 on eBay. .
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    This. Not well known, but great looking stem, and very light. Got mine new without box for $60 on e-bay
    would like to get the titanium bolts still, but am happy with it coming in at 110g.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light weight Stem and Bar (NON Carbon)-stem.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorWPB View Post
    This. Not well known, but great looking stem, and very light. Got mine new without box for $60 on e-bay
    would like to get the titanium bolts still, but am happy with it coming in at 110g.
    I love mine and they make the lightest stems around

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've been using the UNO stems off ebay. $25 for 98g stem from 70mm to 130mm

mtbr member
    Is the FSA OS-99 CSI Stem sturdy enough for AM / DH use?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    I've been using the UNO stems off ebay. $25 for 98g stem from 70mm to 130mm
    Seems too good to be true... Could you give your review... What are your opinions and how do you use it (AM or XC)?

I am leaning on the UNO Ultralight MTB ROAD 31.8 x 100mm Stem ,107g, White
    but have reservations on quality.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm running a 90mm Uno on my race bike right now. It's 101g with ti bolts. It is MUCH stiffer than Extralite (81g) and Loaded (100g) and a bit stiffer than Rotor (96g). My only worry is the strength and durability. It even comes with a warning, "Not for professional use", whatever that means.

I wish Extralite would ditch the recessed clamp bolts in front of the steerer and go for a traditional behind the steerer clamp. The huge diameter stem shaft and wide handlebar clamp should be very stiff, but the split towards the rear, along with two separate bands around the steerer makes for a not very stiff overall experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I'm running a 90mm Uno on my race bike right now. It's 101g with ti bolts. It is MUCH stiffer than Extralite (81g) and Loaded (100g) and a bit stiffer than Rotor (96g). My only worry is the strength and durability. It even comes with a warning, "Not for professional use", whatever that means.

I wish Extralite would ditch the recessed clamp bolts in front of the steerer and go for a traditional behind the steerer clamp. The huge diameter stem shaft and wide handlebar clamp should be very stiff, but the split towards the rear, along with two separate bands around the steerer makes for a not very stiff overall experience.
    Nice to know you find the Uno much stiffer than the Extralite. I got this 70mm OS and and added Ti bolts for my Daugthers Scott Scale Contessa JR. 24. The stem looks very well made, but the road rating had me passing on this stem for my bike, maybe I should reconsider trying one of these. How much do you weigh Ole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light weight Stem and Bar (NON Carbon)-img_2492_1.jpg  

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i'm 80kg and use the Grade 2.0 AS-025, which is MTB approved. The Grade 3.0 ASA-105 is 15g lighter and not MTB approved.

mtbr member
    This is my Ibis 31.8 100mm i bought recently:

That weight is with 4 of the 6 steel bolts replaced with ti (it's all i had to hand). Not a bad weight for the price - about $70 i think it was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I'm not a professional rider nor a risky trail rider but looks like I'm gonna buy a Loaded XLite instead of the UNO.. I can't risk a stem failure. I have heard of one or two horror stories of a stem/handle bar failure and feel another $80 could be worth some peace of mind. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    I know the OP asked for non carbon in both stem and bars but I just wanted to comment on my new experience:

Today,
    I swapped out my old stem that came on my bike with an SRAM ASA 70mm.
    The new neck is very nice and looks better than I expected too!
    It was pretty cheap for a light alum AM rated stem, $50.
    I highly recommend this stem!

Also Today,
    I installed my new handlebars: Easton Carbon Haven (711mm long 20mm low rise)
    I'm amazed how much lighter the new handle bar is compared to the old bar that came on my bike
    The new bar weighs 1 full pound less according to my digital scale.
    Picking up my front end to climb small boulders just got a lot easier!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    shimano Pro XCR stem 130g for 110mm & Pro scandium 31.8 680mm 20mm riser bar 190g perfect i have them on SS........no issues

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post
    Looking for a new stem/bar combo. Dont care if its 25.4 or 31.8 and width will be cut to 25".

I have looked at carbon and it is too expensive so I am looking at aluminum. Who makes the lightest?

Also, it might be relevant to say that I am currently running a stock GT stem (about 100mm) 25.4 and a older Salsa Moto Ace? bar cut to 23".
    Pretty sure you'll pay less for light carbon (since its inherently light) than a highly machined alloy counter part.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Pretty sure you'll pay less for light carbon (since its inherently light) than a highly machined alloy counter part.
    That is incredibly incorrect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soya View Post
    It depends on which one you choose and the discount % on sale price.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Soya View Post
    Really? I've never paid more than $100 for my carbon bars and my last 740mm was 180gram. Find me an alloy bar over 700mm at 180 grams and tell me what it costs
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast