mtbr member

Light weight steel frames... do they exsist?

I like the ride of a steel MTB frame (besides Titanium) and would like to know if there are any below the 1750-1800g mark. I would require an 18.5 or 19". My weight - 175# / 79kilos

After doing a little research, I`m not sure I want to try scandium . From what I`ve gathered, they seem to be a "throw away" item after two years or so do to their thin walled flexing.

Any ideas?

A little of everything
    Get the classic Ritchey Plexus. A 18" frame weigh about 1650g. It's not cheap though.

There is alo a german bike manufacture called Wiesmann, that makes very nice and light frames. The lightest custom steel frame is 1900euro, but it weigh about 1600g.

http://www.wiesmann-bikes.de/

inner peace to make peace

steel Diablo 1600 grams/3.53#. good question, how much are you willing to pay

good question, how much are you willing to pay for premium light steel?

my Viner road bike frame, Pro Team, is claim to be 2.7# of shaped Deda' eom16.5 steel, but even it'sreally 3.0# in my 55.5 cm size that's super light. Viner makes a more sturdy verion of the Italian Deda eom steel mtb frame, the Viner Diablo, 1600 grams/3.53#, I would gess about the same price as most custom

http://www.viner.it/english/index.htm

no to scandium..not unless you're a pro and it's free to you, spend your good money on steel or stiff titanium.
    Last edited by TrailNut; 01-05-2005 at 11:51 AM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    I like the ride of a steel MTB frame (besides Titanium) and would like to know if there are any below the 1750-1800g mark. I would require an 18.5 or 19". My weight - 175# / 79kilos

After doing a little research, I`m not sure I want to try scandium . From what I`ve gathered, they seem to be a "throw away" item after two years or so do to their thin walled flexing.

Any ideas?
    I don't think 1800g is asking too much. Gunnar and IF offer frames that light and I would bet lots of custom builders can come in under 1800g. My cheapo ($89) Phobia came in at only about 1950g. It does have a decent tubeset, though (True Temper Platinum OX II).

baker

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Steelman

Steelman frames are claimed to weigh in about 1700g or 3.5-3.8lbs.... steel hardtails.
    www.steelmancycles.com
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

information leafblower
    Oct 2004

www.strongracing.com

1800g isn't much to ask, even my old Bontrager race lite weighed that (albeit a small).

These days Columbus claim FOCO tube weights of close to aluminium, so a 3.5lb should be straightfwd these days. I'm about to spec something out of OX platinum and FOCO from Carl Strong and that should easily be sub 3.5lb...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95bonty
    1800g isn't much to ask, even my old Bontrager race lite weighed that (albeit a small).

These days Columbus claim FOCO tube weights of close to aluminium, so a 3.5lb should be straightfwd these days. I'm about to spec something out of OX platinum and FOCO from Carl Strong and that should easily be sub 3.5lb...

Scandium is very strong. Much stronger and MUCH more fatique resistant than aluminum. Take the life of your average aluminum frame and multiply by 2 for scandium.

mtbr member
    search frames from peyto, ritchey (p20 is sub 1,6kg) and scapin. steel frames that weights sub 1,8kg is not hard to find.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    do check out peyto cycles....tell paul kam sent ya!!!

i had a peyto ridiculight, zona tubing. 20" frame with 24.5" effec tt, it was a tick over 4 pounds with an eccentric bb (it was a ss frame). he can build something for you for you. it was an excellent ride....THE smoothest riding steel frame i threw my leg over!!!!

peyto prices are pretty damn fair too, and you get a fillet brazed custom frame!

also, if you can find a builder using foco and ultra foco....that stuff is pretty damn light .i thought ultra foco had been discontinued 'til. i saw a frame over in passion from edge cycles with ultra foco tubing;

Late Cross post from SS board...(pics)

pretty damn light

cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Dean , Marin

Both Dean and Marin make a steel frames out of Columbus Ultra FOCO go the the columbus tubing web site for info on steel they make several different tube seta w/
    FOCO and Ultra Foco being the lightest http://www.columbustubi.com/english/...unltrafoco.htm

Both about 3.7 # for a 23 " top tube ~ 1700 grams

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Columbus tubing site

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

My Steelman weighs 4.2 lbs

It's a great frame, though the frame weighs almost a pound and a half more than my scandium bike frame. This is a signature series mountain bike with an extra long top tube made of Reynolds 853 tubing.

Primative Screwhead

Scapin

Scapin make light steel frames.

And to the guy who praised Scandium...yes, after it is ADDED to aluminium, it is very strong, and therefore less of it is used. The tubes end up being incredibly thin walled and prone to dings and dents. Merckx frames actually wrap their scandium chainstays in carbon fibre to increase the resiliance of the frame...

F.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

IF and Marin

If you're looking for good steel and have some cash, Independent Fabrications (IF) makes a hella-light steel frame- see their website at http://www.ifbikes.com/ . Also, to echo some other posts, the Marin hardtail is also pretty light if you want to spend significantly less (not custom) and uses top-end Columbus tubes. It has a nice ride too.
    A hardtail is forever