mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Light weight seatpost clamp ideas

I have been looking for a nice light seatpost clamp. I like the KCNC and the Woodman, good price and a nice looking clamp. But I cant tell if they have the ridge on the inside to help position them? What light weight clamps have this ridge? I have to move my seat post up and down very often, every time i ride. So i would like something with the ridge on it if any of them have it. Any ideas?

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    the woodman has the lip on it so it can not be pushed down to far...
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Why do you need a ridge? The clamp does exactly the same thing regardless of whether there is a ridge present or not
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I love the Woodman.. what size are ya looking for?
    I have some Carbon ones and a few Kahosis.. just lyn around.. 31.8 and 34.9

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by rc51kid
    I have been looking for a nice light seatpost clamp. I like the KCNC and the Woodman, good price and a nice looking clamp. But I cant tell if they have the ridge on the inside to help position them? What light weight clamps have this ridge? I have to move my seat post up and down very often, every time i ride. So i would like something with the ridge on it if any of them have it. Any ideas?
    That ridge is called a "lip lock".

Toronto Cycles has several to choose between and they say whether or not the clamp has a lip lock.

I bought one of the J&L Ultra Lights (with the lip lock) for my wife's bike and it is very nice.

I had a Token (without a lip lock) on my JET 9 and discovered one of the bands on the clamp had broken. I'm not sure how long it had been broken, but noticed it when I disassembled the bike due to a recall of the frame. So that clamp only lasted a season. I guess I must have over torqued it - so be careful with these lightweight suckers in terms of how much torque you use when installing.

BB

bike rider
    I've got a 10.5g Mortop with the lip lock waiting to go on my Air 9 Carbon so I don't know if it works yet but it's light and good looking.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    Why do you need a ridge? The clamp does exactly the same thing regardless of whether there is a ridge present or not
    I don’t “need” it, but I would like it. I have to lower my seat to fit my bike inside my car. So every time I ride I am raising and lowering my seat 2-3 times. The lip is one of the small things that makes it easer when having to do it over and over. That’s all.

Mad Scientist
    Extralite;

It's 13gr, it has a lip, it's never moved. I've bought (2) used, and never a problem. I'm 190, and I don't get off the seat too often.
    Gravity doesn't pull....it sucks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sorry, but Ti skewers and ultra light clamps are a "NO NO"....they break. IMHO

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My KCNC QR clamp has a lip. Don't know if the non-QR KCNC clamps are the same or not.

mtbr member
    Two of my bikes have the Woodman Deathgrip SL Ti. I really like them, but these are not quick release, so I don't know if this particular model would be practical for you since you have to move your seat post frequently. Woodman has great customer service, btw.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I have the KCNC no QR and that has the lip

bike rider
    They Break??? Holy Hell and to think I've been using them since 1994, what was I thinking?
    I got some pretty decent Niners!