mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Light Weight Klunker

I was given an aluminum cruiser frame from a buddy. Im building it into a lightweight Klunker. To make it interesting, I'm limiting myself to parts on hand, and no more than $100 spent. Hoping to be 24 pounds or lighter.

Here is where I am at so far:

I striped the paint from the frame, and then gave it a bit of a spray to give it a cool look.

Frame is 4.6 lbs

I have a Rock Shox Judy SL, 3.6 pounds.

I also have a set of Deore wheels, and a set of tires that are roughly 560 grams each. Im going to make is a single speed, and am debating between disc brakes and front V - rear U brake. Im sure discs will be the better option since there are no rear brake studs.

Here is where I am at so far:

18.8 pounds as it sits. Still needs bottom bracket, crankset, brake levers and grips, rear cog, chain, brake calipers, and cables. Total spent so far is $0. There are some pretty heavy parts on it too, regular tubes, and the seat and seat post is 627.1 grams!

mtbr member
    I really like the paint accents.

It is light now, but yep, the rest will add up, and painfully. You left out pedals as well.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have never seen the words lightweight and klunker used in the same sentence before. Since there are no brake studs your options are limited. Why not just go hardcore and make it a coaster brake only single? That's a mans bike. Here is my lightest klunker at 36 pounds give or take. I did disk brakes front a rear but I had to braze on a disk brake mount.

Then there is this one, just shy of 46 pounds:
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    If you took the bell off the first one, you'd instantly drop to 19 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys. I know that the rest of the parts are really going to hurt on the weight side, but ill just keep searching for used lighter parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I got this bike on the road tonight. I decided to go single speed with a coaster break for simplicity and cost effectiveness. So far I have spent no money on it at all. I only used parts I already had. Current weight is 22.4 and I think I could drop another pound relatively easy.

It rides ok, but it has one BIG problem. It's got bad self steer. I need to figure that out. The tires are aired up, headset isn't too tight. This is the bike that had the slightly oversized head tube that I converted from 1" to 1-1/8".

It looks killer though!

mtbr member
    Hi blown 240, your bike looks good indeed! Could you elaborate a bit more on the self steer issue? I'm curious because I've built up a nice cruiser that rides and handles just fine, but doesn't want to be ridden with no hands.
    With all of my other bikes I can take my mitts off of the bars and the bike tracks straight. I have checked wheel trueness, dish, front/rear alignment, the bike is tight and adjusted. Any thoughts or ideas on this are welcome.
    Thanks and Ride On,
    George
    George Wong

Is dang happy!
    Get a shorter fork and find another frame for the squishy.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

bike rider
    Here is mine. It's rigid and wasn't built on a budget but it weighs 19.9lbs. Not really a Clunker but it has the look.

I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    Here is mine. It's rigid and wasn't built on a budget but it weighs 19.9lbs. Not really a Clunker but it has the look.

Very cool bikes, very fun concept. What frame is the Schwinn?