Faller - Expert Class

Light Weight Bottom Bracket options...

Hey guys,

Sorry if this sounds newb-ish, because it most likely is a newb-ish question. Ok, here goes. I know my bottom bracket shell is 68mm, but I currently do not have the other measurement for it (I'm working on it). I have an '05 Kona King Kikapu and will be redoing the drivetrain during the off-season. One of the things I am looking at is going from the X-type bottom bracket to ISIS to hopefully save some more weight.

Ok, if you're still with me, my question is, what type of recommendations do you guys have for a lightweight bottom bracket? If you can include weights, that would be even better. So far, I was looking at the Control Tech carbon shelled bottom bracket, but I have to find the other bottom bracket shell measurement for my bike to verify that the bottom bracket will work.

Thanks!
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

freak of nature

American Classic...

Hey !
    The American Classic ISIS is a nice option. Especially with its low weight and not-too-bad-of-a-price. I think it's usually around 140-145 grams (w/o bolts) even with a cromoly axle. The FSA Platinum Pro Ti is around 170-180ish. They are probably the least expensive of what's out there.

Jean-Sebastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

Faller - Expert Class

Thanks!

Thx for the response! I will take a look at those....once I can track down the exact measurements of my bottom bracket shell!

Thanks again!
    2006 Kona Leroi

well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

freak of nature

I should have thought of that...

Quote Originally Posted by psinsyd
    Thx for the response! I will take a look at those....once I can track down the exact measurements of my bottom bracket shell!

Thanks again!
    You don't have any measurements for the axle length of your X-type, because it doesn't have any. The axle length will be determined by the next crankset you will fit on your ISIS BB, which is usually 113mm. ISIS and X-Type are not compatible.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that !

Anyway, you're welcome,

Jean-Sebastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

Faller - Expert Class

Thanks for the insight!

Thanks for that insight regarding the bb and the bb shell sizing! If you haven't guessed already, I'm a relative newb when it comes to piecing together a drivetrain, which is what I'm planning on doing during the offseason.

Thanks again!
    2006 Kona Leroi

bike dork extraordinaire

Platinum pro works well for the money

Thanks for that insight regarding the bb and the bb shell sizing! If you haven't guessed already, I'm a relative newb when it comes to piecing together a drivetrain, which is what I'm planning on doing during the offseason.

Thanks again!
    I just redid the drivetrain on my Ti hardtail to save some weight. Cambria bikes is selling an 04 Truvativ stylo team crankset for $99 and an FSA platinum pro bb (113mm spindle is the correct size for the stylo) for $39. The combo weighs just under 800 grams, and for $140, I don't think you can beat it. I've only ridding it a couple of times, but so far it works well.

mtbr member
    I'm enjoying my AM Classic ISIS BB.

A repectable 148 gr plus heavy 48gr crank bolts. It would be nice to find aluminum examples.

The AM Classic's replaceable cartridge bearings are a real plus over my old FSA Ti which over the life of multiple warranty replacements, died within 8-9 months.

Stiffness between the two feels about the same which is good to say the least.

The only thing to watch with the AM Classic is to not overtighten the cups. I had the flange on the non-drive side cup snap off. This allowed the rest of the cup to naturally thread itself inwards which eventually removed support of the bearing. Thankfully I noticed before any damadge occured. AM replaced the cup with no charge. They claim it's not a common issue.
    Last edited by fritZman; 10-24-2005 at 05:50 AM.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Token

Token makes a solid BB which is a common upgrade for road bikes. Their Ti spindle MTB version is within 10g (approx. 150g) of the Am Classic, but much less of a risk of bearing failure (the scandium spindle version weighs 120g, but you risk breaking it). For a less lightweight, but solid BB I use the FSA megaquad. Mine weighs 202g, plus 20g for aluminum bolts and steel washers and is spinning perfectly after 10 months of racing.

Hey guys,

Sorry if this sounds newb-ish, because it most likely is a newb-ish question. Ok, here goes. I know my bottom bracket shell is 68mm, but I currently do not have the other measurement for it (I'm working on it). I have an '05 Kona King Kikapu and will be redoing the drivetrain during the off-season. One of the things I am looking at is going from the X-type bottom bracket to ISIS to hopefully save some more weight.

Ok, if you're still with me, my question is, what type of recommendations do you guys have for a lightweight bottom bracket? If you can include weights, that would be even better. So far, I was looking at the Control Tech carbon shelled bottom bracket, but I have to find the other bottom bracket shell measurement for my bike to verify that the bottom bracket will work.

Thanks!
    M

Members who have read this thread: 2