mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Light weight bashguard?

I like using bashguards instead of my large chainring for going over logs, roots, and occasional rocks. I'm not a downhiller; I'm more of an All-Mountain/Light Freerider. The most important thing is that I don't want to add any weight to my bike. Is this possible? I just purchased a TruVativ plastic bashguard but it weights 264 grams, which seems too heavy to me. Any ideas on how I can replace my large chainring with a bashguard and not add a bunch of weight.

jbf
    mtbr member

Corerat - 86 grams

too bad they do not make it in 4-bolt anymore ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach710
    I like using bashguards instead of my large chainring for going over logs, roots, and occasional rocks. I'm not a downhiller; I'm more of an All-Mountain/Light Freerider. The most important thing is that I don't want to add any weight to my bike. Is this possible? I just purchased a TruVativ plastic bashguard but it weights 264 grams, which seems too heavy to me. Any ideas on how I can replace my large chainring with a bashguard and not add a bunch of weight.
    If I recall both the Tuvativ rockguard http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=CG707C00 and the RaceFace bash ring http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/112...Bash-Ring-.htm are in the 130-140 gram range. Both can be found for around $25-30 and are made of 5mm thick aluminum. I have a few friends with RF, and they've held up well and are give better clearance than the e-thirteen charger I have (210 gr). Also, I've heard good things about the salsa guard.

-> SickLines.com <-

learn how to use the search function...

http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/bash-ring-doesnt-weigh-ton-6253.html#post48718

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    learn how to use the search function...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=48718
    I know how to use the search function. This just adds more weight becasue it does not replace the large chainring, it mounts over existing large chainring.

The Race Face Bash Ring at 140 grams sounds like the best option, so far.

Maybe I should just grind down the teeth on my large chainring and use that as a light weight bashguard???

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bad idea...

Maybe I should just grind down the teeth on my large chainring and use that as a light weight bashguard???

I'd be willing to bet it'll bend the first time you whack something with it. Unless you've got a thick downhill ring, it's going to be pretty thin aluminum. My stock Truvativ 44t ring weighed 29 grams when I took it off and was about 1-2mm thick, not to sturdy. Oh yeah, and it kept getting all bent up when I'd hit something.

mtbr member
    I am doing the same thing as you right now, looking for a light chainring guard. When you search for bash guards you find heavy FR/DH ones, chain guards seems to find light weight XC ones. So far the lightest looking ones are Spot chainring guard and Sals chainring guard. Both look very minimalist.

mtbr member
    I am doing the same thing as you right now, looking for a light chainring guard. When you search for bash guards you find heavy FR/DH ones, chain guards seems to find light weight XC ones. So far the lightest looking ones are Spot chainring guard and Salsa chainring guard. Both look very minimalist.

FSA bashring is only 98 grams, not too bad.
    Last edited by GearHead; 01-02-2005 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Additional info

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Spot Brand makes what you want......

http://webcyclery.com/product.php?pr...&cat=21&page=1

it's not super beefy, but will take a little abuse. i've got one on my SS, which only gets once in a while bashes.

my much beefier geared ride uses one of these:

http://webcyclery.com/product.php?pr...&cat=21&page=1
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

-> SickLines.com <-
    I know how to use the search function. This just adds more weight becasue it does not replace the large chainring, it mounts over existing large chainring.

Um that link i posted has just about all the bash guards in it that are light.
    Spot etc.,

Using the big ring as a bash guard woudl be ok for a day or so, but after it folds over you're screwed. Especially if it folds over into the chain rings.

With all those bash rings you can remove/replace you big chainring without a problem... Unless i'm missing something that post is exactly what you wanted...

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Envy makes some light bash rings that replace the big ring, around 100grams.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Recovering couch patato
    OT, but for riding logs (which I don't), is round even a smart shape for a bashguard? I take one keeps the pedals level when grinding over the long, why not make a bashring that is slightly "hollow" or just square rather than round?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Um that link i posted has just about all the bash guards in it that are light.
    Spot etc.,

With all those bash rings you can remove/replace you big chainring without a problem... Unless i'm missing something that post is exactly what you wanted...
    Your right, I see them now. Your link brought me to a specific thread with only 1 bash guard. When I went up a level to the main discussion I then saw all of bash guards. That's exaclty what I was looking for, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    OT, but for riding logs (which I don't), is round even a smart shape for a bashguard? I take one keeps the pedals level when grinding over the long, why not make a bashring that is slightly "hollow" or just square rather than round?
    The round guards "slide" over logs,etc. Some of the brands make them with smail "teeth", kinda like a super dull saw blade, that bite into the log so you can pedal over.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

YES, you should just grind down the teeth on a large chainring. It works great! After 3 years of using one (in Colorado, where there are tons of rocks to bash into), it's still doing just fine and isn't bent at all.